Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:46 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Observer has an article about a bill regarding Wake County and Greensboro city council. The bill would change the makeup of the two bodies giving Republicans more representation

Quote:
Mecklenburg commissioners – and voters – ought to pay close attention to the goings-on in Raleigh Tuesday....
That’s when a Senate committee headed by Matthews Republican Bob Rucho is slated to take up bills that would affect the makeup – and the balance of power – on the Greensboro City Council and Wake’s county commission.
[LEFT]
Read more here: The next Raleigh power play? | The Charlotte Observer The Charlotte Observer[/LEFT]

Quote:
..... are designed to give Republicans greater influence on strongly Democratic bodies in deep-blue voting regions.
[LEFT]
Read more here: The next Raleigh power play? | The Charlotte Observer The Charlotte Observer[/LEFT]

Quote:
... Giving adequate representation to minority groups – in this case, Republicans – is generally a worthy goal.
[LEFT]

I hope there is something I'm missing or not understanding. Can I assume that In the rest of North Carolina - outside the few core Urban Democratic counties - that Democrats will get more representation also? Will the Rural and Suburban counties dominated by an equal margin that the Democrats have in Urban counties give Democrats better representation to?

Republicans being the "minority" in NC Yeah.... Maybe the legislature needs to leave Meck, Wake and the other Urban counties alone considering they're the fastest growing regions in the countryand they should worry about failing chicken farms in their part of the state and their retracting economies.

"Less Government" ... yeah. Can Obama & the federal Government please come in to North Carolina and Give Democrats more representation also? There is no moral difference between the Legislature micromanaging us and the federal government micromanaging the state....

Hope Greensboro & Wake sues if this passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 11:54 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
It used to be that local bills were filed and processed only with the approval and endorsement of the applicable local governments.

It is unbelievable (actually jaw-dropping) to me that the party that preaches and campaigns on a platform of "less government" is so blatantly involving itself in private lives and local governments' local business.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
It used to be that local bills were filed and processed only with the approval and endorsement of the applicable local governments.

It is unbelievable (actually jaw-dropping) to me that the party that preaches and campaigns on a platform of "less government" is so blatantly involving itself in private lives and local governments' local business.
Is it really that unbelievable? Nothing shocks me anymore. Until people wake up, realize what's happening to their voice and actually go vote in droves, we are stuck with this clown government.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:44 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Really? You actually believed that "less government" fairy tale?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:17 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
The current setup works. Constituents need to elect better candidates who champion better and wise ideas for their designated areas.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:17 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Really? You actually believed that "less government" fairy tale?
I think it is entirely incredulous that so many people who are hardcore anti government are oppressing their opponents voice so much. Like stripping away democratic counties abilities to basically govern.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:34 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
The fallacy is assuming that they're "hardcore anti-government". They're only against the government doing things that they don't like.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The current setup works. Constituents need to elect better candidates who champion better and wise ideas for their designated areas.
The real problem in bold.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:09 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Or the local representation to the NC GA.

In this case those bills are being sponsored by senators from Wake, Guilford and Mecklenburg.

I do disagree with their approach. I think they should increase the number of council members based on population increases. There are too few in places like Mecklenburg where just a handful of people are now speaking for close to a million people.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:25 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I do disagree with their approach. I think they should increase the number of council members based on population increases. There are too few in places like Mecklenburg where just a handful of people are now speaking for close to a million people.
Its virtually impossible now to find smart, visionary, honest and decent people to run. Increasing the size would only make that more difficult.

Do we need 2 Vilma Leake's on the County Commission?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina