Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:27 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Can I ask why some of you don't like Greensboro?
That was an area I was looking into.

Thanks, Tom

Its a boring hellhole, with a worthless skyline. So is Winston-Salem and High Point (well, at least Winston's skyline is however).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 07:40 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

Thanks, Tom

Tom, I bumped a thread up for you to read what some other posters have said about Greensboro to give you a more info. In addition, one poster here seems to know a lot about that area so I am copying and pasting an old post of hers about Greensboro for you to see:

try Stokesdale. About 30 minutes to downtown Greensboro. 15 minutes to the edge of Greensboro and to I 40 -- the major interstate. Part of Stokesdale is in Guilford County ( the county where Greensboro is) and part is just over the border into Rockingham county. Lower taxes, more reasonable home prices in Stokesdale that is in Rockingham county than Stokesdale that is in Guilford County, and far fewer chances of running into restrictive HOA's that would prevent you from parking your vintage car and trailer. It's much closer to Greensboro than Burlington is.

Stokesdale just over the Guilford county line into Rockingham isn't seeing that kind of development or high prices yet and it's still pretty much "live and let live" unless you get into a relatively new subdivision with an HOA. It's also close to amenities. Restaurants, shopping, service stations, etc.

Best wishes in making your decision. Best wishes with your move!

Regards,

Cassie

Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 AM

108 posts, read 374,252 times
Quote:

Thanks, Tom

I've heard some terrible things about Greensboro! I am glad I did not move there last year when I had the chance, can't say what the problems were, I suppose it would sound racist to some..

Old 11-09-2006, 10:34 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
I'm really surprised as I heard such nice things about the Triad area. I guess it just goes to show you how everyone has a different view.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:16 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
Well, as you may have seen, I listed Greensboro as one of my favorite cities in NC. I absolutely love it here. I've lived here the better part of 15 years and honestly there's nowhere else I'd want to live. It baffles me that anyone could hate it. I could see not liking certain parts of it, but that's true with any city.

Greensboro isn't boring (life is what you make of it) and it's certainly not a "hellhole". In my opinion, to be a "hellhole" it'd have to be overrun with crime - drivebys all over the city, holdups and car jackings anywhere you go, bars on all the windows, etc. (When I think of "hellhole" I think of places like Camden, NJ and even Fayettville, NC to an extent.) There are a lot of beautiful areas in Greensboro and there's plenty to do.

Really, I was scratching my head at the negative comments about Greensboro. I don't get that at all.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:28 PM

48 posts, read 297,004 times
I like Asheville and it's suburbs and Charlotte and it's suburbs. Also Gastonia

Old 11-20-2006, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,487 times
I am interested in living in Wilson, don't see it mentioned. Any opinions?

Old 11-20-2006, 04:01 PM

23 posts, read 53,965 times
Lived in Siler City while working in Greensboro. My best memories are of Asheville, though and would consider that as one of my choices for a retirement area. I live in a seaside town in Maine now but do miss the mountains.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:15 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,263 times
Favorite-
Mooresville
Boone
Garner
Asheville
Cherokee, was pretty cool.

Least-
Gastonia
Fayettville
Cary
North Wilkesboro

Old 11-21-2006, 06:39 AM

325 posts, read 1,408,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn harris View Post
I am interested in living in Wilson, don't see it mentioned. Any opinions?
What draws you to Wilson from Florida? I grew up between Wilson and Rocky Mount, and the job market around there is pretty sparse for specialized jobs. There is a huge Firestone plant that employs about 1500 people, and Merck has a facility on the west side of town near I-95. One advantage of Wilson is the drive to Raleigh or Greenville is less than an hour where jobs and entertainment are more prevalent. Being from the area I would enjoy living there (family and friends are close by), but as a newcomer I probably wouldn't think twice about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina