Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:50 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be too quick to eliminate Greenville, SC from consideration. I have no idea what you are using to compare COL but Greenville is a reasonably low-cost place to live. We lived there 2008-2012 and it's a great place to live. The Greenville area is the only area of SC I would consider if I had to move to SC again. As a native North Carolinian, I am biased toward NC, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 07:08 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Roadpony: I use Sperling's site for making comparisons. Thank you for your input.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,212,399 times
have you looked in to intentional communities?

Welcome to FIC | The Fellowship for Intentional Community website

what about Mt. Airy area?

Old 03-26-2015, 02:17 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I was chatting with a woman while we waited for our cars to be finished servicing. She mentioned something like this but neither of us knew where any would be. I'll check it out.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:45 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I was chatting with a woman while we waited for our cars to be finished servicing. She mentioned something like this but neither of us knew where any would be. I'll check it out.
The winters are milder than NY, but one thing that is always ignored in threads like this is that the summers are sweltering with very high humidity. You will most likely be confined indoors during the hottest months as well. The winters are more mild, but they certainly aren't warm to the point where you can go outside comfortably and not run the heat. There were single digits this past winter in NC...

Old 03-30-2015, 06:52 AM

Default Hot summers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
The winters are milder than NY, but one thing that is always ignored in threads like this is that the summers are sweltering with very high humidity. You will most likely be confined indoors during the hottest months as well. The winters are more mild, but they certainly aren't warm to the point where you can go outside comfortably and not run the heat. There were single digits this past winter in NC...
I have heard about this. I had thought living closer to the mountains rather than the coast might be at least slightly more comfortable in summer. We have had some pretty hot/humid weather in CNY, too. But winters are pretty tough, too. And they last a lot longer than they do in NC. Nothing is perfect. I don't really expect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina