Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:06 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Here's another thing you may not have thought about. If you are currently working as a CPA in NYC, you should expect a decreased amount in NC. Same thing for GF.

That $1400 budget for a 2 bedroom might not be as acceptable to you once you find out about the pay cuts.

Why NC? The COL isn't THAT cheap down here. Cheaper than NYC - yes. BUT not as much as I suspect you are expecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:09 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcampbe View Post
I have yet to visit NC.
Well then, clearly THAT needs to be your first step. Then you'll have actual questions for us about X, Y, and Z places you saw.

Quote:
I've looked online for places that I think fits my criteria and Cary, Clayton, and Wake Forest stood out. Perhaps you could shed some light on that.
Online sites are showing only a tiny portion of an area and generally presented in the best possible light. Think of what you see online about NYC, vs what it's actually like day in, day out. This is why you should come and look around places in person before considering moving anywhere.

Cary is stereotyped as being chock-full of Northern transplants and "Stepford-neighborhoods" to the max. Not entirely accurate, but OTOH, stereotypes don't get started without a grain of truth.

Wake Forest is where a lot of the newer growth is happening just because the places west of Raleigh (such as Cary & Apex) were so popular with relocators that they are now congested and lost some of the very charm that was once appealing. But WF is more of a hike to downtown Raleigh and as much "stuff" to do as the western towns, and Capital Blvd/US-1, the primary way from WF to Raleigh, can be a traffic snarl.

Clayton is in a much more rural area but is also becoming a transplant destination. It's not in Wake county which means the schools aren't part of the huge Wake county school district over 155K+ students, and many folks like that specifically.

I suggest you read the pinned thread at the top of this forum about relocating to the Triangle, which has many oft-asked questions and discussions. But most of all, pay a visit to anywhere you're considering moving. You don't know how accurate, how encompassing, or how current what you read about a place online might be.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:44 AM

6 posts, read 5,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Here's another thing you may not have thought about. If you are currently working as a CPA in NYC, you should expect a decreased amount in NC. Same thing for GF.

That $1400 budget for a 2 bedroom might not be as acceptable to you once you find out about the pay cuts.

Why NC? The COL isn't THAT cheap down here. Cheaper than NYC - yes. BUT not as much as I suspect you are expecting.
I have thought about a reduced salary. Wherever I decide to move to, I fully expect to receive a lower salary than I'm currently receiving in NY.

The only way I would find $1400 for rent unacceptable is if I receive a pay cut in excess of 15%.

I do not expect NC or any other major cities in the US to be significantly cheaper than NYC.

I'm considering NC for the following:

Lower cost of living
Better weather
Less crowded
Great schools
Relatively close to our families in NY

All of the above is a presumption on my part.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:14 AM

6 posts, read 5,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well then, clearly THAT needs to be your first step. Then you'll have actual questions for us about X, Y, and Z places you saw.

Quote:
Online sites are showing only a tiny portion of an area and generally presented in the best possible light. Think of what you see online about NYC, vs what it's actually like day in, day out. This is why you should come and look around places in person before considering moving anywhere.
Very good point. And obviously I would visit a place before I decide to move there. I'm considering relocating to NC based on what I've read online and have heard from people. I don't see an issue with considering a place even before a visit. After all, it's only a consideration.

Quote:
Cary is stereotyped as being chock-full of Northern transplants and "Stepford-neighborhoods" to the max. Not entirely accurate, but OTOH, stereotypes don't get started without a grain of truth.

Wake Forest is where a lot of the newer growth is happening just because the places west of Raleigh (such as Cary & Apex) were so popular with relocators that they are now congested and lost some of the very charm that was once appealing. But WF is more of a hike to downtown Raleigh and as much "stuff" to do as the western towns, and Capital Blvd/US-1, the primary way from WF to Raleigh, can be a traffic snarl.

Clayton is in a much more rural area but is also becoming a transplant destination. It's not in Wake county which means the schools aren't part of the huge Wake county school district over 155K+ students, and many folks like that specifically.
Really appreciate your insights.

Quote:
I suggest you read the pinned thread at the top of this forum about relocating to the Triangle, which has many oft-asked questions and discussions. But most of all, pay a visit to anywhere you're considering moving. You don't know how accurate, how encompassing, or how current what you read about a place online might be.
I will certainly do that.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:23 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcampbe View Post
I have thought about a reduced salary. Wherever I decide to move to, I fully expect to receive a lower salary than I'm currently receiving in NY.

The only way I would find $1400 for rent unacceptable is if I receive a pay cut in excess of 15%.

I do not expect NC or any other major cities in the US to be significantly cheaper than NYC.

I'm considering NC for the following:

Lower cost of living
Better weather
Less crowded
Great schools
Relatively close to our families in NY

All of the above is a presumption on my part.
As a former resident from the NYC metropolitan area and now retired here you might want to investigate what the avg. pay rate is for your occupation plus a few more items on your list you might want to consider.

The only things less expensive here are RE which is about 1/3-1/2 less than NY area and property taxes which are probably 50-80% cheaper.

NC public schools in general are terrible because of poor teacher pay compared to some of the nations best in your area.

The weather is better, less snow but hotter for the longer summer here.

Less crowded, that depends because NC is growing rapidly.

Close to NY? 9-10 hrs by car 10-12 hrs by train. 4 hrs by air including TSA hassle.

IMO NC is a great place to retire to but to earn a living and raise children the NYC area is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina