Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 18,369 times

Advertisements

i am 16 and have my full provisional lisence. i got cot going 73 in a 55, it is my first ticket. i am absolutely 100% guilty i have no excuse i just wasnt paying close enough attntion. what should i expect on my court date. can i loose my lisence????if so how long?? what kind of fine am i looking at cause i only have a month to come up with some $$ i dont have money or a job so i need to know how much stuff i need to sell. if i plee guilty will they cut me some kind of deal where they bring the ticket to a under 15mph ticket. and is there any way to get the points off of my lisence???? also im going 2 court on my birthday some birthday preasent hu . and i heard about some thing where you can ask the judge to drop the ticket on the terms that u promise not to get another one for 3 years?? whats the deal with that??

calvin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,266,106 times
If you are on a regular drivers license you probably go back to provisional.
Being your first offense I would hire an attorney or speak with the DA just be honest with anyone you speak with.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,419,971 times
15 over the speed limit is revocation of your license, which is appropriate whether you are 16 or 66.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:48 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,204,499 times
You should get an attorney. The high cost of insurance will be bad enough not to mention a good possibility of having your license revoked. In the long run the cost of an attorney will cost you less. IMPO My second thought is---and I don't want to sound like a nagging adult but driving an automobile is a privilege not a right. Driving is a big responsibility. You hold everyone elses lives in your hands when you drive. You have to pay attention at all times. You are far from alone by speeding but maybe this will be a good reminder!!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:03 AM

836 posts, read 3,370,212 times
I agree with cynwldkat.... Get a good lawyer...However I do believe that since your just 16 you should lose your license for the 30 days maybe next time you decide to speed you will think about what happened the first time you got a ticket.

In NC..
Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of:
* driving any vehicle more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you are driving at a speed higher than 55 mph.
Your driving privilege will be taken for 60 days if you are convicted of:
* a second charge of speeding over 55 mph and more than 15 mph above the speed limit within one year; or
* speeding plus reckless driving on the same occasion.

The DMV can also suspend your license for the following:

* Two convictions of speeding over 55 mph during the same year;
* One conviction of speeding over 55 mph and one conviction of reckless driving within a year;
* A conviction of willful racing with another motor vehicle, whether it is pre-arranged or unplanned.
* A suspended court sentence or part of a sentence mandating that you must not operate a motor vehicle for a specified period of time; and/or
* A conviction for speeding over 75 mph.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM

217 posts, read 1,114,365 times
Hi Calvin. I too got my 1st speeding ticket at 16 (now keep in mind this was 14 years ago). I was busted with 79 in a 55. My dad went to court with me and we asked for a "prayer for judgement" which like you mentioned, basically says you won't break the law for 3 years. If you do break the law within those 3 years, in addition to the new charge, the old charge comes back to life (or at least that's my understanding). The judge granted me the prayer for judgement and I didn't have another charge within those 3 years. I bet you could probably get out of it yourself. But, if you want to be on the safe side, you can probably get an attorney for about $300 and have it "taken care of". I speak from experience. Unfortunately, that ticket at 16 years old wasn't my last ticket. Good luck!!! And don't speed anymore!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,419,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster07 View Post
Hi Calvin. I too got my 1st speeding ticket at 16 (now keep in mind this was 14 years ago). I was busted with 79 in a 55. My dad went to court with me and we asked for a "prayer for judgement" which like you mentioned, basically says you won't break the law for 3 years. If you do break the law within those 3 years, in addition to the new charge, the old charge comes back to life (or at least that's my understanding). The judge granted me the prayer for judgement and I didn't have another charge within those 3 years. I bet you could probably get out of it yourself. But, if you want to be on the safe side, you can probably get an attorney for about $300 and have it "taken care of". I speak from experience. Unfortunately, that ticket at 16 years old wasn't my last ticket. Good luck!!! And don't speed anymore!
I think a change has been made in the law to make "prayer for judgment" less available, as in come counties it became the most common finding.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,102,358 times
There are often programs that allow first time speeders to go to a class and remediate the ticket. Get an attorney, FAST. Cost will probably be about $400 or so. It would cost more in increased insurance premiums.

Just learn your lesson. LOL

Old 02-10-2008, 09:23 PM

7 posts, read 98,833 times
An attorney will tell the court for you that your speedometer did not work. It happens all the time and is dishonest. I do not understand how the judicial system keeps putting up with this common practice. It will cost you $400. attorney fees and court costs.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 PM

535 posts, read 1,735,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I think a change has been made in the law to make "prayer for judgment" less available, as in come counties it became the most common finding.
I tried one in Asheville, the judge said "I have no reason to grant you one" but the #$@#$ gave one to a repeat DUI! :P Then an old man, guy was around 70, was up for 10 over. He asked for a PFJ as it was his only ticket, the judge said "I'll drop it to 9 over, it won't affect your insurance".

It's just a huge money grub at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina