Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 02:51 PM

74 posts, read 151,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
There was an update on the Tryon Plsce project. Dirt is supposed to start this summer utility relocations and full blown construction in the 3rd quarter. This could possible edge out PNC tower in Raleigh as the largest skyscraper outside of Charlotte in the state. It will be very close. The spire on top of the PNC's crown may edge it out. Not sure.
I'm sorry. I'm confused. Isn't Tryon Place in Charlotte?

Old 03-08-2016, 07:05 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.villa.- View Post
I'm sorry. I'm confused. Isn't Tryon Place in Charlotte?

I meant, not including Charlotte, it could be the tallest in the state. I thought that was a better reference than buildings in Charlotte because people might not be familiar with the names. But yes, it's in Charlotte

Old 03-08-2016, 09:38 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Ascent progress in Charlotte.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:01 PM

South Church Street -Museum Apartments

Old 03-08-2016, 08:08 PM

74 posts, read 151,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I meant, not including Charlotte, it could be the tallest in the state. I thought that was a better reference than buildings in Charlotte because people might not be familiar with the names. But yes, it's in Charlotte
Ahhh ok, thanks for clearing it up!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:57 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,117 times
Here is a good maps that that brings it all together.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...ane-watch.html

Old 03-09-2016, 05:18 PM

Four MassMutual affiliates including Babson Capital to combine under Barings brand

Babson Capital Management LLC and its subsidiaries Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers LLC and Wood Creek Capital Management LLC are combining with London-based Baring Asset Management Limited, Babson announced Wednesday.

The combined firm will be based in Charlotte and will use the Barings brand. Tom Finke, the current chairman and CEO of Babson sitting in Charlotte, will oversee the new firm, which will have $260 billion of assets under management, offices in 20 countries and over 1,700 professionals.

Article from the Charlotte Business Journal.

Four MassMutual affiliates including Babson Capital to combine under Barings brand

Old 03-12-2016, 08:29 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Here is a link that shows how bulky and how much depth the uptown skyline is getting. A lot of these empty lots from the Charlotte Hornets arena down are mostly underway or about to start construction. It will really make downtown more of a core instead of linear.

Clear Sky Images Commercial Photography | 2016-03 Brevard St Charlotte | norfolk-southern-0646

The 43 or so floor Museum Tower had a topping out party yesterday. Taller than I was imagining matching the height of it's Wells Fargo neighbors if not exceeding them.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:50 PM

Latest numbers show Charlotte’s apartment boom isn’t slowing down

The report, released last week, shows that apartments are still being built at a rapid clip in Charlotte. There’s little sign of a slowdown: The number of units under construction increased in the last six months, while the number of apartments planned to start construction soon held steady.

12,782 Under Construction
13,425 Apartments proposed/planned to start construction

Read more here: Latest numbers show Charlotte

Old 03-16-2016, 06:18 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quick update on the goings on in our Capital City. There's quite a bit I'll try to cover the highlights.

The biggest news I'd say is Bikeshare Raleigh. The city council approved going forward with the program. 30 stations 300 bikes to start. Should be up and running late 2017. With all the new bike lanes around DT and surrounding areas,it should be a hit. Potential sponsors REX Healthcare and of course Citrix. Surprisingly I have heard Red Hat mentioned. Oh well still great news.

Raleigh council adopts bike sharing program | News & Observer

The owner of many DT Raleigh restaurants,including the Hibernian. Will be opening a "food hall". The way it was described to me. Think of HQ Raleigh for chefs and Restauranteurs. Very cool,nothing like it in NC to my knowledge. It will be in the old Jillian's building. In the Warehouse District. Projected opening 2017. Throw this in with Citrix expanding to fill retail space,the Dillion,and Raleigh Union Station. This area is booming!

Continuing on the food theme. Raleigh Chef Ashley Christensen's Death and Taxes. Is among this years James Beard Award finalist. Best new restaurant. Pretty cool.

Last food related item. Raleigh city council just approved new rules. That will allow food truck on city streets. Not just for special events.

In non food news
The much needed renovation to Moore Square transit station,now known as GoRaleigh station has finally started. It should take about a year to complete.

The renovation/urbanization of Moore Square park has been approved by the city and state. With funding already in place. It should begin work this summer. Taking about a year also(going on memory)

Staying with the park theme. The NC Museum of Art is spending 13 million on expanding the museum park. From what I've seen so far. It should be worth a visit. Going on memory one of the proposed bikeshare stations is supposed to be in the museum park. All the better,with greenway access connecting Dix Park and DT Raleigh. Win,win,win.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/17...e&_r=0&referer

On to new construction and proposals. I'll throw in a few rumors for kicks.

Charter Square North tower recently released updated renderings. I actually like the updated version better,but anyway. No concrete timetable for groundbreaking but I've heard spring/summer.
Attachment 167026
Mr Kane(North Hills) recently purchased property in the Glenwood South area to build. You guessed it apartments,exciting huh. There is an exciting rumor that goes with this story though. He may be in talks with Publix. Ground floor grocery store. He usually makes a splash. So I am at least hopefully optimistic. We shall see.

Moving on to Hillsborough street quickly. So much is going on over there. Not even trying to keep up with it anymore.

On to Midtown. Besides 6 projects(North Hills) 2 not on property. Formerly known as tower 3. Now known as tower 4. May be gaining steam. Given all the other towers under construction are already nearly full. Fingers crossed. Also more shopping coming to Midtown area. At the old Allcatel site.
What
Tired of trying to remember details. I'll stop there. Not even going to mention Crabtree area. I'll just say that place is getting WAY out of hand.

Last thing looks like the national media still loves Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham in this case. US News ranked Raleigh-Durham #4 best place to live,nice! No other NC city made top ten.

Last edited by Atowwn; 03-16-2016 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina