Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 05:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,237 times

Advertisements

Great seeing Charlotte grow

Old 03-17-2016, 05:43 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,687 times
Anyways, Concord Mills is adding Bonefish Grill, Outback Steakhouse, and Chipotle. Free People is opening new location in South End. Wahlburgers plans to open it's first North Carolina restaurant in Charlotte soon. Another restaurant and hotel are being added to Berewick Town Center, and the Levine Cancer Institute is adding a $50 million expansion.

Also, Charlotte leads NC in job growth from January 2000-January 2016 with 198,000 newly created jobs.

Last edited by Austincool; 03-17-2016 at 06:43 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 08:43 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,388,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Quick update on the goings on in our Capital City. There's quite a bit I'll try to cover the highlights.

The biggest news I'd say is Bikeshare Raleigh. The city council approved going forward with the program. 30 stations 300 bikes to start. Should be up and running late 2017. With all the new bike lanes around DT and surrounding areas,it should be a hit. Potential sponsors REX Healthcare and of course Citrix. Surprisingly I have heard Red Hat mentioned. Oh well still great news.

Raleigh council adopts bike sharing program | News & Observer

The owner of many DT Raleigh restaurants,including the Hibernian. Will be opening a "food hall". The way it was described to me. Think of HQ Raleigh for chefs and Restauranteurs. Very cool,nothing like it in NC to my knowledge. It will be in the old Jillian's building. In the Warehouse District. Projected opening 2017. Throw this in with Citrix expanding to fill retail space,the Dillion,and Raleigh Union Station. This area is booming!

Continuing on the food theme. Raleigh Chef Ashley Christensen's Death and Taxes. Is among this years James Beard Award finalist. Best new restaurant. Pretty cool.

Last food related item. Raleigh city council just approved new rules. That will allow food truck on city streets. Not just for special events.

In non food news
The much needed renovation to Moore Square transit station,now known as GoRaleigh station has finally started. It should take about a year to complete.

The renovation/urbanization of Moore Square park has been approved by the city and state. With funding already in place. It should begin work this summer. Taking about a year also(going on memory)

Staying with the park theme. The NC Museum of Art is spending 13 million on expanding the museum park. From what I've seen so far. It should be worth a visit. Going on memory one of the proposed bikeshare stations is supposed to be in the museum park. All the better,with greenway access connecting Dix Park and DT Raleigh. Win,win,win.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/17...e&_r=0&referer

On to new construction and proposals. I'll throw in a few rumors for kicks.

Charter Square North tower recently released updated renderings. I actually like the updated version better,but anyway. No concrete timetable for groundbreaking but I've heard spring/summer.
Attachment 167026
Mr Kane(North Hills) recently purchased property in the Glenwood South area to build. You guessed it apartments,exciting huh. There is an exciting rumor that goes with this story though. He may be in talks with Publix. Ground floor grocery store. He usually makes a splash. So I am at least hopefully optimistic. We shall see.

Moving on to Hillsborough street quickly. So much is going on over there. Not even trying to keep up with it anymore.

On to Midtown. Besides 6 projects(North Hills) 2 not on property. Formerly known as tower 3. Now known as tower 4. May be gaining steam. Given all the other towers under construction are already nearly full. Fingers crossed. Also more shopping coming to Midtown area. At the old Allcatel site.
What
Tired of trying to remember details. I'll stop there. Not even going to mention Crabtree area. I'll just say that place is getting WAY out of hand.

Last thing looks like the national media still loves Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham in this case. US News ranked Raleigh-Durham #4 best place to live,nice! No other NC city made top ten.

From what I just looked on Moore Square station, it looks nice. Do you have a link of the renovations? So I assume the Union Station will not be the central transit station?

I hope the 1st phase of Gateway includes splitting the current Charlotte Transportation Center. In general, we need to decentralize the station spread among the Rosa Parks, Eastland, South Park, Gateway, & CTC stations. The current CTC is just a burden, it's holding down land values, it's perceived as dangerous, there is too much congregation.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:00 PM

51 posts, read 62,708 times
Looks like Pay Pal chose Charlotte for their east coast operations.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:30 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,442,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
From what I just looked on Moore Square station, it looks nice. Do you have a link of the renovations? So I assume the Union Station will not be the central transit station?

I hope the 1st phase of Gateway includes splitting the current Charlotte Transportation Center. In general, we need to decentralize the station spread among the Rosa Parks, Eastland, South Park, Gateway, & CTC stations. The current CTC is just a burden, it's holding down land values, it's perceived as dangerous, there is too much congregation.
Ugh I avoid that place like death. It's over capacity and needs to be torn down or something

Old 03-19-2016, 07:47 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,388,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Ugh I avoid that place like death. It's over capacity and needs to be torn down or something

And there is really no need for it to be so centralized. It actually makes it more inefficient by forcing most connections there. Spread it out evenly amongst all the centers, and have buses that directly connect to each center. Gateway (or CTC for now) should get all the Express routes, and all the routes going to the bus hubs with uptown being a destination where you begin or terminate your trip

In other development news:

1Brevard will not be luxury condos, but they are exploring options.

- 2 condo skyscrapers will be announced within the next couple of months. They'll be mixed use. I think one will be at the Skyhouse block.

- Publix is very close to coming to the Skyhouse site and deep in negotiations.

- Lincoln Harris should be closing on the CO site soon and hopefully we will hear details about this mall. Some national retailers looking at uptown are similar to stores such as Adidas. In SouthEnd, Free People is coming next to Anthropologie.

Skyscrapers this cycle publicly announced:

Element - 22 floors (complete)
Skyhouse I - 24 floors (complete)
Museum Tower - 43 floors (Topped out)
Ascent - 33 floors
300 South Tryon - 25 floors
300 Hotel Tower - 21 floors
Tryon Place - 35 floors
TP Hotel - 22 Floors
Stonewall Station/Whole Foods - 24 floors
615 South College - 20 floors
AC Hotel - 25 floors
Carolina a Theater Hotel - 25 floors
Springhill Suites - 17 floors
Skyhouse II - 24 floors

The Stonewall parcels should be announced soon and a couple of mixed use with condos announced soon, too.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 03-19-2016 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-22-2016, 02:32 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

The last plan I heard is Union Station will have "some" bus service. What that means I can't really say. I think the GoRaleigh component is planned for the next phase. At some point Greyhound,GoRaleigh,commuter rail(to Durham) and Amtrak will all run out of Union Station.

Most GoRaleigh service will remain at Moore Square Station. Now known as GoRaleigh Station. The renovations seem line they will be quite extensive. Let's hope so. It looks pretty bad right now. In the near future that entire area will be transformed. The combination of The transit station and the park being redone is great. That's just the beginning though. A couple of new apartment projects are in the works. A large townhome project starting soon. Not to mention Stones Warehouse. This area won't be recognizable in five years. Thankfully. Development projects in North Carolina-image.jpg Stones Warehouse project.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PWk...tionDesign.pdf

https://www.raleighnc.gov/business/c...onStation.html

Last thing the Morgan Street Food Hall & Market. Is moving right along.

Morgan Street Food Hall & Market

100 Best Places to Live in the USA | U.S. News & World Report

Looks like Raleigh is on a roll right now. Hope it continues

Old 03-23-2016, 09:32 AM

464 posts, read 522,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
The last plan I heard is Union Station will have "some" bus service. What that means I can't really say. I think the GoRaleigh component is planned for the next phase. At some point Greyhound,GoRaleigh,commuter rail(to Durham) and Amtrak will all run out of Union Station.

Most GoRaleigh service will remain at Moore Square Station. Now known as GoRaleigh Station. The renovations seem line they will be quite extensive. Let's hope so. It looks pretty bad right now. In the near future that entire area will be transformed. The combination of The transit station and the park being redone is great. That's just the beginning though. A couple of new apartment projects are in the works. A large townhome project starting soon. Not to mention Stones Warehouse. This area won't be recognizable in five years. Thankfully. Attachment 167279 Stones Warehouse project.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PWk...tionDesign.pdf

https://www.raleighnc.gov/business/c...onStation.html

Last thing the Morgan Street Food Hall & Market. Is moving right along.

Morgan Street Food Hall & Market

100 Best Places to Live in the USA | U.S. News & World Report

Looks like Raleigh is on a roll right now. Hope it continues
I'm very excited about Morgan St. Food Hall & Market! I've been to similar places in other cities, and I'm glad that Raleigh is going in that direction. I feel like the city is trying to have alittle something for everyone, sort of like a Jack of all trades type feel. Anyway, the progress is great, and I'm enjoying the growth in NC.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:46 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,437,853 times
Kimpton confirms two new hotels for Charlotte: An uptown one at 300 South Tryon and a new hotel in Dilworth

Old 03-30-2016, 05:59 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,687 times
One of the largest developments ever in Charlotte: 4,000 homes and apartments, 500,000 square feet of retail, 8 million square feet of office space, hotels, green space/parks, and a public waterfront. Enormous new development planned between Charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.