Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 09:30 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Railhawks want to move up to MLS. Fingers crossed looks like there's going to be a fight in NC for the next MLS franchise.
Report: Carolina RailHawks to Rebrand, Announce Bid for MLS – Empire of Soccer

Old 12-03-2016, 11:02 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Looks like the Railhawks want to move up to MLS. Fingers crossed looks like there's going to be a fight in NC for the next MLS franchise.

That logo and name is so amazing and right

Old 12-03-2016, 02:25 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
A fight? Explain...

Old 12-03-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
A fight? Explain...
Do I really need to explain? You know as well as I do. Charlotte intends or has already put in a bid for a MLS Franchise. Now Raleigh,with the entire Triangle has thrown its hat in the MLS expansion ring. But you already knew that i'm sure. You get what you seem to live for. Raleigh vs Charlotte. This time with a MLS Franchise on the line!

The best part is all of the twisted and trumped up stats in the world won't change anything. So feel free to tell us all how much better MLS will work in Charlotte. As you always do. This should be interesting.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:47 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Do I really need to explain? You know as well as I do. Charlotte intends or has already put in a bid for a MLS Franchise. Now Raleigh,with the entire Triangle has thrown its hat in the MLS expansion ring. But you already knew that i'm sure. You get what you seem to live for. Raleigh vs Charlotte. This time with a MLS Franchise on the line!

The best part is all of the twisted and trumped up stats in the world won't change anything. So feel free to tell us all how much better MLS will work in Charlotte. As you always do. This should be interesting.
I honestly don't see MLS as a prize worthy of fighting for. MLS in Charlotte would certainly kill the expectation of Charlotte landing MLB within 15 years. IMO, MLB would be MUCH better in terms of revenue, tv exposure, and uptown number of events (over 80 home games per year in uptown).

I'll admit that fútbol is becoming more popular in the states. As a matter of fact, I believe nearly 60,000 people showed up for a preseason match between AC Milan and Liverpool FC at BofA Stadium in Charlotte. So for the fútbol fans out there, MLS is huge. In terms of dollars and cents; it's still a loss for a market that might trade their baseball chances in for it.

In short, I'm hoping that the Triangle ruins Charlotte's current soccer plans. IMO, Charlotte needs to focus more on building a sense-of-place in our urban core; and when the time is right, upgrade to MLB.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-03-2016 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I honestly don't see MLS as a prize worthy of fighting for. MLS in Charlotte would certainly kill the expectation of Charlotte landing MLB within 15 years. IMO, MLB would be MUCH better in terms of revenue, tv exposure, and uptown number of events (over 80 home games per year in uptown).

I'll admit that fútbol is getting more popular in the states. As a matter of fact, I believe nearly 60,000 people showed up for a preseason match between AC Milan and Liverpool FC at BofA Stadium in Charlotte. So for the fútbol fans out there, MLS is huge. In terms of dollars and cents; it's still a loss for a market that might trade their baseball chances in for it.

In short, I'm hoping that the Triangle ruins Charlotte's current soccer plans. IMO, Charlotte needs to focus more on building a sense-of-place in our urban core; and when the time is right, upgrade to MLB.
From the info and rumors I've heard. Raleigh(Triangle) has a good shot at a MLS team. I'd support it even though I'm not really a fan. More of a occasional spectator. It seems like a good fit for our overall population.

Looks like we'll cross the MLB bridge when that time comes.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:20 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
Eight cities that makes sense for MLB expansion

Eight cities that make sense for MLB expansion, ranked | Sporting News

MLS expansion to 28: Pecking order for potential next cities in line

Unmentioned, but worth watching

Charlotte - At No. 22, Charlotte boasts a market size and a potential base of corporate support that should appeal to MLS. The USL’s Independence launched last year and already is talking to city officials about the possible renovation of Memorial Stadium, an 80-year-old facility on the western edge of downtown. Owner Jim McPhilliamy, a former Hornets executive, has been in touch with MLS and there’s a lot of empty space on the league map between D.C. and Atlanta.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/04/20/

Last edited by CLT1985; 12-04-2016 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 06:51 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
LS expansion to 28: Pecking order for potential next cities in line

Unmentioned, but worth watching

MLS expansion pecking order for St Louis, Sacramento, next cities | SI.com

Old 12-05-2016, 09:37 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
From the info and rumors I've heard. Raleigh(Triangle) has a good shot at a MLS team. I'd support it even though I'm not really a fan. More of a occasional spectator. It seems like a good fit for our overall population.

Looks like we'll cross the MLB bridge when that time comes.
I think that there are several nuances to this discussion about Raleigh's bid.

1. We'll find out when the announcement comes tomorrow but it seems like the Railhawk franchise is poised to move, upgrade their capacity and rebrand regardless of the petition to MLS. I could be wrong but it's reading this way.
2. Like all fast growing Sunbelt cities that have primarily grown post WWII, I think that all are, or should be, interested in building a sense of place in their cores and taking steps toward that end as urbancharlotte suggests for Charlotte. I know that that's been a driving interest in the Triangle's cores for the last decade+. I've always supported development that prioritizes daily experiences over towers and sports venues. I am not saying that they are mutually exclusive but that I'd choose experience and sense of place first.
3. I'm not well versed about Soccer in Charlotte but the Triangle, and Raleigh in particular, has a rich culture in the sport that goes back decades. CASL (Capital Area Soccer League) is the largest such club in the state and among the largest in the nation with 10,000 participants. CASL (Capital Area Soccer League) > Home
4. The success of area universities soccer teams (especially UNC's women) continues to fuel participation and interest in the sport.
On the one hand, I don't see the MLS in DT Raleigh as a make or break situation. DT Raleigh is going to be just fine one way or the other, and I certainly wouldn't choose losing a critical piece of real estate to such a project if it were to hinder the daily experiences of DT dwellers, workers and visitors when the venue wasn't being used. On the other hand, if a new stadium could be built that extended downtown and/or energized an area, then I'll welcome it. I'd especially be interested if such a venue was multi-purpose, e.g., combining the use of a small sport stadium with a venue like RedHat amphitheater.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 12-05-2016 at 10:57 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 11:15 AM

743 posts, read 826,090 times
It's pretty simple, the Triangle or Charlotte regions can support MLS. It boils down to whomever has the ownership group with deep pockets, corporate & local support along with a solid stadium plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina