Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 01:40 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Major League Soccer facility would replace Memorial Stadium under $150 million plan | The Charlotte Observer

MLS stadium would by right at uptown on the gold line.

City & county would contribute 50 million each and the Smith family 50 million

Old 01-05-2017, 03:41 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Major League Soccer facility would replace Memorial Stadium under $150 million plan | The Charlotte Observer

Charlotte could have 3 major league sports soon, that's exciting.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Charlotte could have 3 major league sports soon, that's exciting.

Technically 4. MLL, lol

Old 01-05-2017, 05:23 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:

Great news!

Looks like it could be yet another battle between Charlotte and Raleigh. I hear team owners there are trying to get major league soccer. Charlotte would be a better market. The Triad attempted it once. Winston-Salem actually had a plan for a downtown major league soccer stadium. They couldn't raise the money and Greensboro didnt show support. The Triad cities are not as united as the Triangle. It seems like the two cities like to out do each other all the time. Then some Triad leaders got together with a Heart of The Triad plan and it included a major league soccer stadium halfway between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. But I havent heard anything about "Heart if the Triad" in years. Once again lack of interest and unity. But I do think there is a market for a team in Charlotte.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:59 PM

I don't know where Raleigh stands on having the money, but Charlotte's bid
Is pretty solid. The Smiths want to buy the Panthers and they have deep pockets. Plus the city and county are fully on board. Also don't know how Wake would feel and not sure how much Raleigh can throw at MLS

Old 01-05-2017, 06:10 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
I would not count Bruton Smith out on this deal. He owns 8 NASCAR tracks. So 50 Million part of a new stadium is not a big deal. He also owns Sonic Automotive 330 on Fortune list.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:17 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
I don't know where Raleigh stands on having the money, but Charlotte's bid
Is pretty solid. The Smiths want to buy the Panthers and they have deep pockets. Plus the city and county are fully on board. Also don't know how Wake would feel and not sure how much Raleigh can throw at MLS
The owner of team says he and his investors are prepared to pay for everything. There is an entire thread about subject.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...e-bid-mls.html

Old 01-05-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
The owner of team says he and his investors are prepared to pay for everything. There is an entire thread about subject.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...e-bid-mls.html

I think Raleigh may be better than Charlotte for MLS, I just think Charlotte's bid is solid in general. In general I think the financial part may be the biggest aspect between the 10 cities (Because the cities wouldn't have been chosen if they couldn't support MLS). Sucks that it is very improbable CLT and RDU both get a team. Screw Nashville and just give it to both of us.

Edit: But I don't really know how much we can say about Raleigh's bid until more public info is made. Unless I missed more specifics

Old 01-06-2017, 10:01 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
Who’s Next For MLS Expansion?

by Alex Schieferdecker on 19 December 2016

See more at: Who's Next For MLS Expansion? – FiftyFive.One

Old 01-06-2017, 10:13 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
I think Raleigh may be better than Charlotte for MLS, I just think Charlotte's bid is solid in general. In general I think the financial part may be the biggest aspect between the 10 cities (Because the cities wouldn't have been chosen if they couldn't support MLS). Sucks that it is very improbable CLT and RDU both get a team. Screw Nashville and just give it to both of us.

Edit: But I don't really know how much we can say about Raleigh's bid until more public info is made. Unless I missed more specifics
Specifics are coming out slowly,but from everything I've seen Mr Malik is pretty serious. Serious enough to pay the entire $150 million for the new stadium. Along with the $150 million franchise fee. I do imagine he'll eventually hit the tax payers eventually though.

Just today
NCFC owner Malik purchases NWSL's Flash, will relocate to start play this season :: WRALSportsFan.com

So far he is putting his money where his mouth is. Let Raleigh vs Charlotte battle commence lol. Friendly I hope.

Last edited by Atowwn; 01-06-2017 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina