Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,579 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

I am a office manager and a very active multimedia artist in Delray Beach Florida. So, why would I want to move from a town that was Rand-Mcnalley's "Most fun Small Town in America"? Because like everything else the Chamber of commerce blows sunshine out of the town's ass because they have the most festivals here per year than anywhere in the US and they make BOOOO COOO $$$$$ cashola.
Other than that, it's got a one mile stretch leading to the beach and the beach is no big deal if you ask me. It's flat and once the avenue full of upscale shops and overpriced restaurants is done, well, it's been done. I moved from farther south in Florida because the population is way to old for me. Iam 46 and in that dating realm , no kids.

So, what the hell am I looking for anyway?
Less of the Northeast Attitude and money. Sorry I know, I am from NJ and I don't want to insult anyone, but I want happy, friendly people that are happy with the nature around them and what they have instead of push push rush and impatient A** Holes. and their Maserati's I now plenty of well balan ced people from there but all the jerks find south Florida that's the issue lol

This is also the "rehab capitol" of the world and as I have volunteered in that arena and an happy to see people get help, the community and the rentals are turning into half way houses. So, this too is not for me.

I have been happy on my own, no relationship, just developing myself and my art for about 4 years and now I may want to date. What does that look like here?
I am an average and attractive woman BUT this is a beach town near Boca Raton Flroida. I don't botox or spend half my existence in a gym. I refuse to do more than what it take to tone and take care of myself. I want friends and a companion that are more down to earth and into something other than the gym.

I love the outdoors but i have not needed a car for years. I need at least a public transportation system that works between 9-5 I get everything else delivered. I'm single and even here it's cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:56 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilomenaArt View Post
I love the outdoors but i have not needed a car for years. I need at least a public transportation system that works between 9-5 I get everything else delivered. I'm single and even here it's cheap.
You might look into Carrboro in the Traingle which has a free public bus system. Otherwise, only the major cities in NC have public transit. You might also research Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham and Wilmington for places that are somewhat artsy.

I am not sure what a muti-media artist is, but can you make a living doing it? Can you sell to people who want websites? if so, that might be a hook for finding jobs.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:23 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
I know downtown Delray pretty well! It is a fun vacation spot, but I do know what you mean about the upscale shops and some attitude (my parents are snowbirds in Delray). It's quite different in North Carolina. You may like it or it may be too drastic of a change. To add to Goldenage's list, you might also like Hillsborough or Asheville. Hillsborough has a real cute, downtown with lots of amenities. And it's starting to attract artists and writers. However, it is small - 6k or so - so I'm not sure about making a living there. And public transportation is non-existent except maybe a bus system (not even sure about that). I've never been to Asheville, but everyone seems to love it - it's in the mountains and is supposed to be artsy. Durham and Winston Salem are cities of some size, though, and they may be your best bets for jobs and transportation.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:41 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Not to say that it can't be done, but in general, it's tough to live in NC without your own transportation.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,579 times
Thanks everyone!
I am actually 9-5 manager of Delray Office Suites. It's a suite of virtual and live offices. I would be looking more for that BUT gotta have secondary income which comes from writing and art however I do that online and can be anywhere. So, just looking for atmosphere with people of like mind and down to earth. For you who know Downtown Delray well, You are about to see anew "Bocafied" Atlantic Crossing shopping precinct--like we need another one lol and parking meters. So, I don't see me here passed age 50 if it continues.
I will scope out the areas you all suggested and by then, get a car thanks!
I will be asking more questions as time marches on!

mihgc if you want to keep in touch and look me up when you are all down here my e mail is nightowlwriteteam@yahoo.com feel free

Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
I would suggest narrowing your search down a little from "North Carolina" if your only goal is "to get out of where you are". It's a large state with all kinds of people and places, including, yes, many of those same Northeasterners you encounter down there (NC seems to be on their hot list to move to along with FL). Lots of people who move here for that reason without asking themselves why they chose they place they did, end up with inaccurate expectations and some wish they had moved somewhere else, or done more focused research before moving other than "I hate where I live, so I'm moving to NC, whee!"

Have you ever been to anywhere in NC? If so, what did you like about that place that makes you want to move here. If not, how do you know this is the place for you? You should plan a visit and check out several cities as your first step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina