Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 01:14 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
I agree. My point is that while there are multiple such exits (as you just acknowledged) in that stretch, there are none in the entire stretch in the Triangle. Between mile 266 and 319, over 50 miles, there isn't a single exit you can really call rural. There are a couple where you only have to go a short distance in a given direction to get to rural. And here is the kicker - you actually skirt both Raleigh and Durham; this is just the southern edge of each.

I think W-S and GSO are better off as middle sized cities with a little rural buffer between. You seem to want them to be one big city. I think each our perceptions is flavored a little by what we want to see.
The point is that you obviously aren't aware of what is actually between the two cities just based on highway exits. You would have to be more familiar with the actual cities than what can be seen just off the highways. These areas were more developed long before the highways were there, unlike Raleigh or Durham. There are not "multiple such exits" in any stretch between W-S and GSO.

See, you don't even realize that you actually skirt GSO and W-S driving on I-40 too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 02:18 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
I quoted you saying there were multiple such exits in that last post that you now disagree with. My own experience with that area is more limited. Satellite shows nothing. There is little or nothing at the exits. But maybe your latest thinking is right. Tired of debating

Old 06-13-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I quoted you saying there were multiple such exits in that last post that you now disagree with. My own experience with that area is more limited. Satellite shows nothing. There is little or nothing at the exits. But maybe your latest thinking is right. Tired of debating
I never said anything about "multiple such exits"...it must have been someone else. You never did name the exits you are referring to, mainly because they don't exist. If you can come up with some then you can support your argument.

It's obvious your experience with the area is limited. I'll never understand why people enter a discussion acting like they know more than they do.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:15 PM

536 posts, read 639,333 times
Quote:
As a Kernersville resident, I actually agree with you. Except for Kernersville, there really isn't that much on the highway exits between Greensboro and W-S.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
As a Kernersville resident, I actually agree with you. Except for Kernersville, there really isn't that much on the highway exits between Greensboro and W-S.
Which exits? You're only the second person to make this statement, but no one has come up with an actual example. There are some residential exits where the homes aren't really close to the highway, but that isn't an example of lack of development. I honestly can't think of an I40 exit that I would call rural, and most of them are far from rural.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:06 AM

I didn't give specific exit numbers, just the names of the tiny towns near them.
Quote:
But to answer your question, I guess Kernersville has gotten big enough to qualify as more than just a rural area, but Colfax and Guthrie are both still really small, off the freeway and I consider the part of the freeway that runs near/past them to be in a rural area.
BTW, I enjoy discussion and debate and respect other opinions.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
I think that is a good thing. I don't want to see every town and city interconnect into a sprawling metropolitas.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I didn't give specific exit numbers, just the names of the tiny towns near them.
Those areas are full-on suburbia. Yes, they are small towns but the highway exits are not rural - they are very suburban, much like many of the highway exits going through the Triangle. There isn't much difference between the two.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:14 PM

The poster who lives there says:
Quote:
Another opinion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Those areas are full-on suburbia. Yes, they are small towns but the highway exits are not rural - they are very suburban, much like many of the highway exits going through the Triangle. There isn't much difference between the two.
I have driven through many times and I agree with the poster who lives there. It is also simple enough to look at in Google maps. At the bus-40 split going west, it is mostly forest and farms. Less forest around Guthrie and more farms.

I really don't get why you want people to think it's a big metro area.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:33 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
I guess the city sees things differently. The city limits encompass a lot more than DT IMO. I think of downtown as north of MLK, east of the tracks, west of Raleigh Blvd and south of where Wake Forest crosses Capitol. I feel that is generous; much of that is wooded and SFH residential. Yes, they have other office, industrial, multi-family residential and retail districts inside the city limits but they are not part of an urban downtown, again IMO. But they have not asked me for my opinion so maybe they decided otherwise. Don't get me wrong; I like it this way. I don't want to be Charlotte or Atlanta.
How urban does Raleigh feel to you, then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina