Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,358,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I guess we will see how much it hurts the state...I don't believe it has so far and doubt it will in the future. I hope this round of national conservatism plays itself out soon (it hasn't just been NC). The party seems to be on the decline due to its unpopular social viewpoints, so hopefully we won't see a long-term conservative climate in NC.
Are you aware we never even got serious consideration for the Volvo plant that went to SC because of the general assembly's inaction on incentives? Do you realize what a loss that is for NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Those kinds of policies can have an effect on the state, but don't you think that the next governor and/or legislature will quickly fix whatever harm has been done? I have little faith that these things aren't forever and can easily change in the near future.
Given the redistricting that the republicans enacted in 2012, i think we may be in store for an extended period of conservation control of state government.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,014,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I believe that the current changes put in will hurt the state in the long run. Some mention retirees as still willing to come. I think you need to check that out more because a flat tax does not help lower incomes, the increase in Real Estate, property and sales taxes also hurt lower incomes. The loss of deductions and the higher taxes on pension and SS has caused large differences between states.

Overall the changes will hurt NC.
The long run is exactly where the changes won't hurt NC. They might have some small negative effect in the near future, but so far I haven't seen anyone running for the borders. The film industry may take a hit, but hopefully the next legislature will see the harm done and reinstate the favorable policies. Education is very maligned right now, but I see the same in that area. I totally believe it will all even out with the next couple of elections.

I think I'm just a little bit calmer and maybe I've seen a bit more than some of the people lamenting the demise of our state. It gives me a little laugh every time I read these threads.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
The long run is exactly where the changes won't hurt NC. They might have some small negative effect in the near future, but so far I haven't seen anyone running for the borders. The film industry may take a hit, but hopefully the next legislature will see the harm done and reinstate the favorable policies. Education is very maligned right now, but I see the same in that area. I totally believe it will all even out with the next couple of elections.

I think I'm just a little bit calmer and maybe I've seen a bit more than some of the people lamenting the demise of our state. It gives me a little laugh every time I read these threads.
Again, you think the general assembly will flip from a republican supermajority to a democrat majority in the next 2 election cycles? Even though the republicans were in charge of of the last redistricting? That gives me a laugh.

You love to talk about how control of state government constantly changes. When has the above scenario ever occurred in NC?

Old 06-10-2015, 09:45 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,571,256 times
Quote:
NC is not and never will be "far right". Don't be ridiculous.

Politics a shade to the right will not affect tourism or growth in NC. They weren't affected when the atmosphere was a shade to the left (and there are about as many conservatives as liberals), so I'm not sure why anyone would think they would be affected now.

How many more of these silly threads can folks come up with? Just because your party isn't in power at the moment is no need to pout, but I have seen it many times from both sides. It's not that big of a deal.
Franklin Graham is doing his best to boost the right-wing religious image.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,469,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Franklin Graham is doing his best to boost the right-wing religious image.
Yeah, and if he keeps opening up his big fat mouth, Samaritan's Purse won't have enough loose change in it to pay the upcoming toll on I-77 to get from Charlotte to Statesville!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,961,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Are you aware we never even got serious consideration for the Volvo plant that went to SC because of the general assembly's inaction on incentives? Do you realize what a loss that is for NC?
Auto plants are in a race to the bottom usually. The irony is that they often have to close their factories after a short while because the quality of the workforce is lower and the money they have to spend on training and benefits is higher in the crummy states they move to, and it ends up not working out so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel

Why would it even out? There is no force pushing back against anything that has happened. They've just passed a law postponing the next state supreme court elections--so as to delay any chance at democrats getting elected that could overturn the state's district maps.

This sort of thing doesn't happen in the stable, safe, white bread America you may draw so much experience from. It happens in banana republics. See, I think the problem you're having is that the stability of the latter half of the 20th century in the first world is anomalous, historically. The pendulum has always shifted back in your life and you consider it a skeptical, rational view to think things will always be that way. But the skeptical, rational view unfortunately has to take into account... all the history before that point too, as well as all the countries outside the lens you're applying.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:14 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,571,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Yeah, and if he keeps opening up his big fat mouth, Samaritan's Purse won't have enough loose change in it to pay the upcoming toll on I-77 to get from Charlotte to Statesville!
Yeah, Emissary, I'd like to see his PSA time go to the American Friends Service Committee. There's something to be said for a religion where their mantra is tolerance.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Auto plants are in a race to the bottom usually. The irony is that they often have to close their factories after a short while because the quality of the workforce is lower and the money they have to spend on training and benefits is higher in the crummy states they move to, and it ends up not working out so much.

Oh please. Name one auto plant that opened in the south in the past 15 years thats closed. You can't. Companies invest hundreds of millions of dollars for a short term investment. BMW's plant in SC has expanded 5 or 6 times, and is their largest production facility in the world.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:17 AM

37,850 posts, read 41,791,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I don't know of any foreign auto plant that has set up shop in the South within the past two decades or so that has closed. The domestic auto plants are a different story though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidegal6743 View Post
You are a fool if you truly believe that anywhere in the United States is FAR RIGHT.

The west hasn't had a "Far Right" government since Franco and Salazar in the 1970s, unfortunately.

Neocons are firmly centrist and a slight dash to the right, just because they aren't a proletariat vanguard party with goals of eroding western civilization doesn't make them far right.

McCrory would have been considered a liberal in 1980 for perspective.

Now stop whining and shove it.
"Far right" (as is "far left") is relative within the context of U.S. politics. That much should be understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina