U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:06 PM

122 posts, read 438,120 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate down south someday. Completely confused and cannot figure out WHERE!

The town I live in NJ has a beautiful downtown that has mall stores along with mom & pop stores. Lots of restaurants and great stores like Traders Joe and Wegman (grocery stores) nearby.
I would love to live in a town (30,000) that offers a nice downtown area with a decent mall and Costco within a 30-60 minute drive.
It has to be safe and of course I need to work.
I am an Administrative Assistant, so there must be a job or two I can find. Don't panic, I'm an "old time Jerseyan". We're friendly and not rude.
Hate to move from Jersey, but the way property taxes keep going up, I won't be able to afford living here much longer.
Expenses are rising faster than my income.
Yes, I know salaries won't compare to what I'm making up here, but if I sell my house and be able to buy a less expensive one down south; then I can bank the balance for retirement savings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 9,480 times
Matthews NC is nice area 20-30 mins to uptown, there is all the amenities you need and want right here, there is costos. sam and traders Joes is 15 mins up the road in ballanytne its small and on the east enmd of Charlotte.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 AM

934 posts, read 1,072,519 times
You may like Chapel Hill or Wake Forest. Chapel Hill is closer to Durham as a major employment area, and Wake Forest closer to Raleigh...

Also Raleigh in the Glenwood south area (though a bit pricey) is popular with young professionals- lots of neat restaurants and bars, etc...

Old 01-23-2008, 03:44 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,728,681 times
You could also try the Greensboro area. Lots of good suburban areas and it is a quick ride to Winsto-Salem and High Point.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:50 AM

7,087 posts, read 13,624,728 times
My question is, What do you like to do when you are not working? This would give me a better idea of which direction to steer you. Each section of N.C. has it's own draws and drawbacks, as with most things there are tradeoffs. The mountains have crisp air, nice vistas and wildlife, the coast also has wildlife and salt air but is a bit warmer, our piedmont is a mix of pine and hardwood, hills, yup, wildlife too and a more moderate climate. More Universities in the Piedmont but, NC spends a lot of money on education, this does not mean that rednecks are an endangered specie, they too can be found. As UncleBatz said, Greensboro is nice, theatre, movies, concerts- classical, rock, country, gospel, rap. A multiplicity of ethnic restaurants, movies and sporting events nearby. North Carolina is really good for minor league baseball, college hoops are top notch, our NFL football team is .... well.....developing? If you are basically friendly and have a sense of humor you should have no problem getting along with the natives.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 AM

214 posts, read 646,290 times
I'm basically friendly, definite sense of humor, albiet a dry one, and weird. I'm an artsy type looking around NCarolina too, so interested in this thread.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 AM

934 posts, read 1,072,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santos View Post
I'm basically friendly, definite sense of humor, albiet a dry one, and weird. I'm an artsy type looking around NCarolina too, so interested in this thread.
word of warning - a lot of locals here ( I am one, so I can say it! ) dont get the dry/sarcastic sense of humor. I have the same sense of humor and find those from other states often 'get me' more than my local friends!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:42 AM

122 posts, read 438,120 times
My interests: organic gardening, hiking, great bookstores (love mysteries), plays, concerts (jazz, classical, country etc.), flea & farmer markets, try to follow a healthy lifestyle, cooking, and ethic restaurants are must!
Friendly, outgoing middle-aged person who prefers to go around barefeet rather than in designer shoes. I tend not to judge a person by their looks; they are usually the most interesting people of all.
Love the beach but also the mountains. Like 4 seasons but want warmer winters than Jersey. Hate hot, humid summers (but understand you get use to the heat). Looked at Asheville area, but think the winters would be too quiet. Want a safe, friendly town where I can safely walk to a nice downtown that's not all tourist stores. If not a downtown, at least a couple stores and restaurants. Not into chain restaurants (will eat in them) but if traveling usually like to try a local restaurant. Don't want a house in the country or gated community per say. Like a smallish house, not too much land.
Hope this wasn't too long or that I come across too demanding. To sum it, my best compliment of a person is "they're interesting."

Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,728,681 times
JerseyGirl 3624:

After reading your latest post I still believe that Greensboro is one of, if not THE, right places for you.

The fact that you appear willing to assimilate into the NC way of life and not wanting to come here to remind us " This isn't how we used to do it back home" is in your favor.

North Carolinians are a friendly bunch of folks and appreciate definite eye contact, straightforward talking, and most of all, good manners. In the rural areas where I live everyone smiles and waves at each other when driving or walking by as most have known their neighbors for years and do this out of habit and courtesy.

Here is a link to Greensboro for your research.
City of Greensboro, NC - Official Website

Do post again until you find what you want, and in that event please let us know where you wish to finally end up in NC.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 AM

7,558 posts, read 6,418,891 times
Hey Jersey Girl, I would recommend Concord, a small city just to the North East of Charlotte, it has a great mall (Concord Mills) population of about 50,000, with all of the conveniences of a huge city just down the road, for concerts, plays, Charlotte really does draw all of the big acts, and without the big city headaches (noise, crime etc....)

We nearly bought in Concord, but found our house in the next town over in Kannapolis, equally nice, more mom and pop, less corporate.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina