Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 11:49 PM
gmb gmb started this thread

45 posts, read 288,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie Mae
PLEASE, YOU LIBERALS, you ruined California and made it the cesspool it is. STAY OUT OF THE SOUTHLAND AND LEAVE IT TO THE WONDERFUL GOD FEARING HONEST FRIENDLY PEOPLE. You will come and try to make them give up the Confederate Flag saying it is racist, when it is HISTORY AND HERITAGE. AND TAKE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OUT OF THE COURTHOUSES. You made that county in CA take the cross off of their town symbol. THEY DON"T NEED YOUR KIND THERE!!!!!!

Wow, I guess your comments are part of the culture shock I will experience when I move to NC. I suppose I naively used the word "liberal" because I wasn't directly meaning Democrat or a political party. By liberal I meant open-minded to other's views, respectful of people's differences, welcoming people who aren't from the south, being an individual thinker, etc. You are correct that it will be new for me to see the Confederate flag because it isn't part of CA's history, so I tend not to see it here, but it is part of the American history and many of us are true blooded Americans who understand our heritage. And you are also right - many of us in CA aren't God Fearing, but instead God Loving- some of us are open to our neighbors no matter what their religious beliefs may be. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2006, 12:34 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,315,753 times
I'm so late into this conversation, but I started reading from the beginning and saw something I would like to respond to (something SarCat wrote), so I skipped ahead. I too was born and raised in New Jersey (northern NJ)...and I both agree and disagree with SarCat. We can be very rude and opinionated. However, we are also very educated and streetsmart (maybe that's what gives us our arrogance). But as for myself, I have the confidence of someone who grew up from a wonderful, loving family who encouraged me in whatever I chose to do. I am a very intelligent person, I'm proud of all that I am, EXCEPT for the assumed rude "Yankee". Yeah, I guess I am a "Yankee" if that's what you guys call it, but I'm not rude unless pushed. I want to be away from those type of people as well. I would love to relocate to somewhere that is not like here, so my children aren't thrown into some rat-race. However, I have the (small) fear that wherever we go will turn into here. We do have a way of being overbearing and forcing our ways on people. I feel bad for places like the South and anywhere else, where our moving there has taken away the beautiful qualities that we moved there for in the first place. However, in our defense SarCat, not all of us are out to find and conquer. I wouldn't move somewhere and try to make it like where I'm from. I would appreciate what I'm moving to and I would respect people's ways and traditions. If I couldn't do that, than what's the point of leaving here. And I'm sure there are others like me as well. You seem to hate us as a whole and you are generalizing. Plenty of southerners have moved up here, whether it be from a job transfer or for a change of pace, but we don't sit here and complain that if you people keep moving up here it's going to turn into a scene from Deliverance. You say Y'all, we say You's, who cares, as God-fearing people, one would assume you believe we're all God's children, so what's the problem here? I'm sorry we have "ruined" it for you down there, but you can't assume that all of us "Yankees" are out to convert the South. I could imagine how you feel about the overcrowding and so on, but this country is overcrowded, we all suffer that. And no offense, but you were more hostile on this post than any of the Jerseyans (until I was pushed by your first posting). Southern hospitality...? Lastly, the confederate flag is part of our history, so is the word Yankee, it doesn't insult us, last time I checked, it meant one thing...the greatest baseball team around.

Last edited by pixieshmoo; 04-28-2006 at 12:52 AM..

Old 04-28-2006, 06:10 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,550,212 times
Pixie that was really good. I agree with all that you've said. I am from Conn and don't find myself to be rude either. You will find many northerners down here. A southerner shouldn't take offense that we think they have one of the prettiest states around and we want to be part of it. Are you telling me you are a Yankee fan? I'm so sorry "Go Sox" Have a great day

Debbie

Old 04-28-2006, 07:20 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,185,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie Mae
PLEASE, YOU LIBERALS, you ruined California and made it the cesspool it is. STAY OUT OF THE SOUTHLAND AND LEAVE IT TO THE WONDERFUL GOD FEARING HONEST FRIENDLY PEOPLE. You will come and try to make them give up the Confederate Flag saying it is racist, when it is HISTORY AND HERITAGE. AND TAKE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OUT OF THE COURTHOUSES. You made that county in CA take the cross off of their town symbol. THEY DON"T NEED YOUR KIND THERE!!!!!!

"Ellie Mae" has left two posts on this site - the one above and another where they mention that she/it is from CT-then at some point left NY due to the mindset there - then landed in Southern CA and now is waiting to flee back to Dixie. Within that mix of moves...no where do I see "Ellie Mae" saying she/it is from the Carolina's. We came from CA a couple of years ago and have yet to meet anyone that has made us feel the least bit unwelcome. Word of advice...if you are interested in the Carolina's come see for yourself but surely do not make any decisions based on someone that doesn't even happen to be from either North or South Carolina.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:57 AM

That's funny, I didn't notice that about Ellie Mae I agree, you should definitely check out where you're considering before making any definite decisions.

DebbieF - Thanks for your support on my post, and yes, sorry babe, born and raised die hard Yankee fan! It's the only way to be Happy for you guys though that your "curse" was finally broken, but we got Johnny Damon (can't figure out yet whether I'm for or against that...I guess it doesn't matter where they come from, as long as they end up a Yankee ) LOL

Old 04-28-2006, 09:20 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,729,930 times
So you will assimilate. You’re going to have to show proof before you are allowed to show your face in NC, since you never tried to assimilate in either CT or CA.
It takes more than a cutesy name to be considered “southern”, and awfully rude to say you what you did in your previous post, this proves you’re not from the south.
I grew up in the south, but I have lived in other places as well, the saying is true, “you can take the boy out of the south, but you can’t take the south out of the boy”.

Let me touch on a couple of things from your post.
Not everyone form CA is liberal.
Your “god fearing” comment makes me think you watch too much TV, no one says that any more.
What do you know about the Confederate flag? You’re a “Yankee”.
The 10 commandments issue was in Alabama not CA, maybe move there, they love “Yankees”.
A law suit filed by the ACLU forced the week kneed LA legislature remove the cross. It was opposed by the majority in LA.

Believe me your attitude will not be welcome in NC either, may want to rethink your move here.

Ellie Mae, I one have question. Is it really bliss? Ignorance that is.

Last edited by RedNC; 04-28-2006 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 AM

Red,

Exactly who are you speaking to in your response? You are taking things that several people in here have said and combining it into one response. As for me, I never said I WAS moving to the south. Secondly, the cute name has nothing to do with anything. Third, the God-fearing and Confederate Flag comments were only repeated in a response to SarCat. I do not use the word God-fearing in my vocabulary and no, I don't understand much about the Confederate Flag. Someone else said it was in the past and I was again, repeating that. It IS part of HISTORY and that's all I need to know for this forum. The only flag that should concern us is the star-spangled one we all salute. Fourth, I don't know anything about the 10 commandments and Alabama, that wasn't me who said anything about that or removing any cross in LA. Fifth, I know my previous post proves I'm not from the south, I never said I was from the south. I'm not too concerned with how rude I sounded when I was only responding to some else's rudeness (a southerner believe it or not). We have the same saying, you can take the boy/girl out of the city.....does anyone really care about that anymore? I'm a city girl and I hate the city. I'm not concerned about my attitude being welcomed there, being heated about someone's comments and responding to them or defending your fellow "yankees" is entirely different than "having an attitude". Whatever the south has against the north, get over it. Oh and lastly, about the whole Yankee thing, apparently you're dead set on calling us that...fine...we say tomato, you say tomoto, people there call us yankess, people here call you hillbillies/uncledaddies, whatever, it's all good. Can't we all just get along

Old 04-28-2006, 10:56 AM

192 posts, read 652,634 times
..among other several clear references (to me at least) to Ellie Mae, he directly referenced her, by name, in the last sentence.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:57 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,729,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo
Red,

Exactly who are you speaking to in your response? You are taking things that several people in here have said and combining it into one response. As for me, I never said I WAS moving to the south. Secondly, the cute name has nothing to do with anything. Third, the God-fearing and Confederate Flag comments were only repeated in a response to SarCat. I do not use the word God-fearing in my vocabulary and no, I don't understand much about the Confederate Flag. Someone else said it was in the past and I was again, repeating that. It IS part of HISTORY and that's all I need to know for this forum. The only flag that should concern us is the star-spangled one we all salute. Fourth, I don't know anything about the 10 commandments and Alabama, that wasn't me who said anything about that or removing any cross in LA. Fifth, I know my previous post proves I'm not from the south, I never said I was from the south. I'm not too concerned with how rude I sounded when I was only responding to some else's rudeness (a southerner believe it or not). We have the same saying, you can take the boy/girl out of the city.....does anyone really care about that anymore? I'm a city girl and I hate the city. I'm not concerned about my attitude being welcomed there, being heated about someone's comments and responding to them or defending your fellow "yankees" is entirely different than "having an attitude". Whatever the south has against the north, get over it. Oh and lastly, about the whole Yankee thing, apparently you're dead set on calling us that...fine...we say tomato, you say tomoto, people there call us yankess, people here call you hillbillies/uncledaddies, whatever, it's all good. Can't we all just get along
The post you are referring to is a response to Ellie Mae, not you. Please accept my apologies, and I apologize to any other northerner, as I was using the vocabulary of Ellie Mae for emphasis.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:03 AM

Look, this is stupid, I really wasn't trying to insult anyone. But Red, I think you generalized. You took a lot of different things people said and threw it into one mix. We're not all rude yanks here, ya know. I can imagine what it's like living near beautiful mountains or beaches and having it ruined. We have that here too in NJ. We have the Delaware Water Gap and all the shore points (beaches). They're beautiful, but people have come to ruin them too. Everythig is "citified". It's not right if people move somewhere and disrespect the culture. But I think you feel like we're all bad people as a whole up here. We're not. I may not understand all your traditions and cultures and you probably don't understand ours, but it doesn't make anybody BAD. Yeah, we're know for attitude, but people can be like that anywhere. Look, some of us just want to get our kids away from things like the city because we want them to appreciate living their lives, not kill themselves trying to keep up with some ultra trendy, fast-paced, dog eat dog, rat-race. I really didn't mean to insult you, I just got hot-headed. And yes, I have noticed that the further south you go, generally the nicer the people are. It's embarassing to admit but it's true. In all seriousness, northerners aren't bad people, it's just so different here and it's not easy keeping up. Maybe we're just stressed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina