Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 06:54 PM

142 posts, read 961,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcat
Darling, I'm a native Carolinian, and culture shock don't begin to describe what you're going to experience. There are a couple of y'all Californians who got a booth up at the flea market, and they just hate it around here (Raleigh), bless their hearts. Not what they're used to, I suppose.

If y'all gonna come to Raleigh for the school system, you should read the local paper, N&O, for all the latest. Every year, all the students are re-assigned, and currently, the powers that be are talking about year around system. It is cause of all the growth out pacing the infastructure.

You only have to park on the interstate (cause it is too crowded to actually drive on it) to know that the growth is out stripping the infastructure. And course, since all those Yankee relocatees are predominately from Jersey and New York, are famed southern politeness is being erroded by and replaced by the infamous New Yorker rude attitude. All those Yankees coming down to these parts. They are trying to assess impact fees on the real estate to build schools, but the developers are fighting it.

Course, housing is cheap. That is, if you consider $500,000 to $1,000,000 for a oversized house, hastily thrown up, with tiny yards, in bland, generic neighborhoods, to be cheap. Course, when the average teacher doesn't make but $40K and less a year, you won't be able to afford those anyway. Which means, you'll have to look out towards Johnston County, about 20 miles down the most congested corridor in Raleigh. Urban sprawl is beyond becoming a problem and is rapidly and unfortunately, being a way of life.

Honey, you are joking when you said "fairly liberal, open-minded community" and the south, especially North Carolina, in the same breathe, yes? I know that was a joke, cause everyone knows this is a bible belt State that votes overwhelmingly Republican. We still have Sunday blue laws that are enforced. About as open minded as it gets around here is freedom to choose a Christian Church, and you better be in church on Sunday. Don't worry, not much open on Sunday morning to distract you (those pesky blue laws again).

About as close as you'll come is Carrboro, cause they have an openly gay mayor. But, the price of real estate in Chapel Hill/Orange County is twice as expensive as Raleigh. Course they are desperate for teachers, mostly cause the teachers can't afford to live there.

Now outdoor activities are plenty. Raleigh is only 2 hours from the beach and 4 hours from the mountains. And there is plenty to do, depending on what you like to do.

You definitely need to visit before you move. I suggest not going into Cary, as it is the strong hold of the rude Yankees. Furthermore, it is easy to get lost in Cary, cause everything is generic, bland, and otherwise indistinguishable.

Good luck, and lord bless ya.

As a native Nyer- I truly resent people such as yourself. New York welcomes people from all states and nations without complaint. I am sure there are plenty more North Carolinians who have arrived in NY than the other way around. We also must be a pretty powerful bunch if we are affecting the NC culture so abruptly and quickly- maybe it needs a little updating. This is America- people can move wherever they choose. You are overgeneralizing all of NC. Places such as Charlotte are not all that conservative and are not filled with churchgoers and it is no longer a place for only Christians. I say "thank God" for Nyer's bringing a little diversity to the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2006, 09:06 PM

104 posts, read 573,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF
I am a Yankee that relocated. I am far from rude. This is a wonderful place to raise a family and move. If you want to see rude-reread what you wrote. :-)

Debbie
First, you know that everything you see on the internet isn't as it seems. So, just because they say they are a native doesn't mean they are one. Sure I get testy at times over the pushy attitudes of 'certain newcomers' but mostly they are just Americans hunting for a better place to live...just don't honk at me before the light changes!

Now, if the CA poster has specific questions that I can answer tomorrow, I will try to help. Otherwise, goodnight, yuall.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:47 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb View Post
Wow, I guess your comments are part of the culture shock I will experience when I move to NC. I suppose I naively used the word "liberal" because I wasn't directly meaning Democrat or a political party. By liberal I meant open-minded to other's views, respectful of people's differences, welcoming people who aren't from the south, being an individual thinker, etc. You are correct that it will be new for me to see the Confederate flag because it isn't part of CA's history, so I tend not to see it here, but it is part of the American history and many of us are true blooded Americans who understand our heritage. And you are also right - many of us in CA aren't God Fearing, but instead God Loving- some of us are open to our neighbors no matter what their religious beliefs may be. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Southern Hospitality at its finest. I do sympahtize with many southerners because it is true that many people are trying to "escape" the problems of thier home state and in reality only exporting them here. But Ellie Mae is a clear example of an extremeist zealot who should just be ignored. They aren't the majority.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:17 PM

117 posts, read 416,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl View Post
First, you know that everything you see on the internet isn't as it seems. So, just because they say they are a native doesn't mean they are one. Sure I get testy at times over the pushy attitudes of 'certain newcomers' but mostly they are just Americans hunting for a better place to live...just don't honk at me before the light changes!

Now, if the CA poster has specific questions that I can answer tomorrow, I will try to help. Otherwise, goodnight, yuall.

I'm from NY and I hate to honked at before the light changes. I would show a certain finger but not these days, I may get shot

Old 09-02-2006, 09:19 PM

333 posts, read 1,201,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Southern Hospitality at its finest. I do sympahtize with many southerners because it is true that many people are trying to "escape" the problems of thier home state and in reality only exporting them here. But Ellie Mae is a clear example of an extremeist zealot who should just be ignored. They aren't the majority.
Well the reality is eventually all "good places" will eventually get ruined. Bad things will be imported as more people move to an area - with higher population comes more crime, more scammers, more negative parts of society - its just a fact. With more people comes higher cost of living as public services need to expand. So as popularity of an area expands a lot of negatives will eventually come to that area - one hopes that the pace of these negative things is relatively slow - maybe you can get a good 10 years out of it. I think this "fact of life" is why the ultra rich tend to live in their little enclaves away from the poor and unwashed masses in their gated communities...because among the many good people in the poor and unwashed masses (I am being sarcastic with my terminilogy) are the bad too. That said, drug use is many times the highest among the ultra rich and they have divroce rates and suice rates no different than the poor and unwashed!

Previous hot areas of the country now filled with problems and/or cost of livings so high that young people or families have a hard time starting a quality life there
1) San Fran
2) NYC
3) Chicago
4) San Diego
5) LA
6) Seattle
7) Portland
8) coastal FL
9) northern VA
10) Boston
11) Hard to call NJ "hot" but even in a not so hot area its hard to afford anything
12) Chicago
13) Phoenix
14) Las Vegas

So now the next areas to eventually be ruined will be the Colorado's and North Carolina's of the world - hopefully it takes at least 20 years so I can enjoy it in the meantime

Look at the planet as a whole - in 100 years we have done more damage than the previous 2000+ years. Humans just are very proficient at looking at the short run and ruining everything we touch Wars, famines, global warming - its a shock we lasted 2000+ years - with nuclear technology I'd say we would count our blessings to last another 200 from here. We will self destruct sooner or later. Until that time, move to a nice area and enjoy the next 10 years until "the Yankees" come and pillage your part of the world At least in NC you have a nice temperate climate to enjoy while the Yankees are slowly eating away at the fabric of society Or...one could move into a rural area if one wishes (which covers 95% of our land mass in the US) and avoid all these issues (including Yankees!) I also here Canada is pretty nice lol.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:22 PM

22 posts, read 32,027 times
Smile Regarding your move

Hi,

My husband and I are also in our early 30's and we have moved around a lot. We both are orginally from Iowa, moved to Huntington Beach CA, then to Missouri, then back to CA to Irvine in Orange county where we lived for almost 7 years. Because housing was so expensive we finally left and moved to Las Vegas where we have lived for the past 3 1/2 years. We know Santa Barbara well and went there often when we lived in CA. It always reminded us of our homeland Iowa because of the quaint shopping area and neighborhoods.

I too have never been to North Carolina but I have done a lot of research and we too have decided to make the move to Raleigh because the Real Estate Market here in Las Vegas is really bad and we know we need to go somewhere more stable. As far as home prices go just check out some really great real estate web sites and search the Raleigh MLS. I have found many homes under 150K that are really nice in Raleigh, Cary, and surrounding areas. I have no doubt that we will be able to find a really nice home to live in there and if your husband will be teaching and you get a part-time job you should have no problem finding a great house in a great neighborhood.

I am a realtor by trade and therefore even though I do not live there yet I have done a lot of research to prepare myself for being a Realtor there. When we lived in Missouri that was considered to be apart of the South and everyone is very friendly in the South and very good about welcoming newcomers. Good Luck!! Maybe we can stay in touch and if you move out there and we will be there too we can get together.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
As a native Nyer- I truly resent people such as yourself. New York welcomes people from all states and nations without complaint. I am sure there are plenty more North Carolinians who have arrived in NY than the other way around. We also must be a pretty powerful bunch if we are affecting the NC culture so abruptly and quickly- maybe it needs a little updating. This is America- people can move wherever they choose. You are overgeneralizing all of NC. Places such as Charlotte are not all that conservative and are not filled with churchgoers and it is no longer a place for only Christians. I say "thank God" for Nyer's bringing a little diversity to the South.

First, I would say I cant believe that there are more people moving from NC to NY, it is overwhelmingly the other way around.

You thank NYers for bringing diversity to the South? We probably have had more diversity here than NY, besides NYC. What exactly is your definition of diversity? Most people who post that preach about wanting diversity but stay as far as way from it as possible. I guess it makes them feel "high and mighty" when they hear themselves say it. You wrongly believe this state needs diversity and "updating" to make it a better state, it already is a great state and is evident by all the people who want to live here.

Finally, with all the people who are moving here, they dont seem to be affecting the politics or even the demographics too much. Pretty much the same kind of people. The areas that have always voted Republican still do, and those that voted Democrat still do. About the only thing anyone has done is complain about overcrowded schools and roads.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:37 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
First, I would say I cant believe that there are more people moving from NC to NY, it is overwhelmingly the other way around.

You thank NYers for bringing diversity to the South? We probably have had more diversity here than NY, besides NYC. What exactly is your definition of diversity? Most people who post that preach about wanting diversity but stay as far as way from it as possible. I guess it makes them feel "high and mighty" when they hear themselves say it. You wrongly believe this state needs diversity and "updating" to make it a better state, it already is a great state and is evident by all the people who want to live here.

Finally, with all the people who are moving here, they dont seem to be affecting the politics or even the demographics too much. Pretty much the same kind of people. The areas that have always voted Republican still do, and those that voted Democrat still do. About the only thing anyone has done is complain about overcrowded schools and roads.

I agree most people that preach about diversity try to stay as far away from it as possible. I've seen a political group on here that's always looking for diversity and loves diversity and culture but are always asking where they can move to be with their own kind.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:55 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I agree most people that preach about diversity try to stay as far away from it as possible. I've seen a political group on here that's always looking for diversity and loves diversity and culture but are always asking where they can move to be with their own kind.
Isn't it funny how people want to be politically correct in public but have their own views. But when someone says how they feel and are honest they are attacked for it.

Anyway. Good point. I noticed too.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:06 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post

This move/migration story is as old as our nation. Sometimes we're making it sound like a new concept, however it is new to those who live childhood homes. Remember the "go west young man" saying? Either economic, social, climate, retiring, etc. all contribute to this and will forever contribute to it.

What's really interesting is if you live long enough to see it come full circle. For example many people came to MA for high tech jobs that were plentiful in the late 80s and 90s. It was very much like Mountain View/Sillicon Valley out west. The jobs dried up, the more comodity tech jobs were exported, and thus the high tech professional packed up and moved out of this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina