Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:25 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times

Advertisements

The central part of the state is just hilly enough in places to wear you out while hiking, but rarely hilly enough to give you a good view.

Great place to live. Before I moved here I was unemployed so I didn't have time to travel. Now I have a job I love and no time to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 10:35 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
The central part of the state is just hilly enough in places to wear you out while hiking, but rarely hilly enough to give you a good view.

Great place to live. Before I moved here I was unemployed so I didn't have time to travel. Now I have a job I love and no time to travel.
Best part is that you can hike in the summer without so much heat under the trees in the higher mountains and then in March it is warm enough to hike in the Piedmont and enjoy the spring growth. North Carolina is certainly a 12 month vacationland.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:36 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean for my comment to come off like that. I'm completely aware that Raleigh isn't rural. I have just been typically attracted to places that are more built up. Even when I lived in LA I didn't have a car. But yeah I'm coming from Tampa.

The mountain suggestions are great, thanks.
Coming from Tampa you will probably think Raleigh is in the mountains. Besides Morrow Mountain, another that is slightly closer than the Appalachians is Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock State Park, which have some pretty cool rock formations. They are actually part of an older mountain range, the Sauratowns, and not foothills.

Coming from the Gulf, it will probably take some time to get used to the beach though it is similar to the Atlantic side of FL. Sand is beige and when you wade out waist deep don't panic; your feet are still there, you just can't see them.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:30 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Coming from Tampa you will probably think Raleigh is in the mountains. Besides Morrow Mountain, another that is slightly closer than the Appalachians is Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock State Park, which have some pretty cool rock formations. They are actually part of an older mountain range, the Sauratowns, and not foothills.

Coming from the Gulf, it will probably take some time to get used to the beach though it is similar to the Atlantic side of FL. Sand is beige and when you wade out waist deep don't panic; your feet are still there, you just can't see them.
I went to Myrtle Beach before, but that's my only beach experience in the US outside of California/Hawaii/Florida. I have been going through various areas on Google Street View and it doesn't seem too bad, maybe I will just have a shock initially. One thing is for sure, Downtown Raleigh looks way better than Downtown Tampa...even with the lack of a sports arena Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina