Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:35 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat0116 View Post
Sure. We currently live in a small rural town (20) miles North of Dayton, Ohio. Just east of Dayton is a very large USAF base. Wright-Patterson, AFB. I was stationed there for (14) out of my (20) year USAF career. WP is very nice base and does have very good hospital there. Not just saying that because I worked there either.

I've not spent much time around other Service members outside the Air Force so my assumptions about their off-duty conduct is perhaps incorrect. Lol!

Now for the diversity part of my question. We are looking for a more diverse area to retire to -vs- where we live right now. Having grown up in the Pittsburgh, Pa area we are used to many different cultures and folks respecting other cultures. Here's in rural Ohio (as in most rural areas) the culture is extremely limited and sheltered. Too "bland" and not open to outsiders if you know what I mean. BTW, I am a WM.

The cold, dreary weather up here really is the main reason we are choosing to relocate. My days of shoveling snow and dealing with the cold nasty weather are done for! Lol! Plus my wife has Fibromyalgia which really flares up during the cold months here. Having to run the heater for 8 out of 12 months is no longer appealing.

We are looking for an area where folks are more open minded and educated as well.
You mentioned on another thread that you were focusing on Asheville. I think that would be a good choice for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:49 PM

54 posts, read 41,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Anderson Creek is close to Ft Bragg.

A 55+ Community for Active Adults
That is a very nice place. May be difficult on the budget for a Retired NCO.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You mentioned on another thread that you were focusing on Asheville. I think that would be a good choice for you.
We don't know enough about the Asheville area just yet. I know closer towards the city it is quite expensive. That's a very limiting factor for sure.

We would be very interested in learning about some Middle Class neighborhoods in the area.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
We don't know enough about the Asheville area just yet. I know closer towards the city it is quite expensive. That's a very limiting factor for sure.

We would be very interested in learning about some Middle Class neighborhoods in the area.
Look into W. Asheville. Here's some houses from Zillow:

218 Virginia Ave, Asheville, NC 28806 is For Sale | Zillow
19 Peach St, Asheville, NC 28806 is For Sale | Zillow
22 Zephyr Dr, Asheville, NC 28806 is For Sale | Zillow
210 State St, Asheville, NC 28806 is For Sale | Zillow
35 Oakcrest Pl, Asheville, NC 28806 is For Sale | Zillow

Old 07-01-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Look into W. Asheville. Here's some houses from Zillow
That's a nice area.

What areas of Asheville should be avoided ?

Where are the middle class areas ?

Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
That's a nice area.

What areas of Asheville should be avoided ?

Where are the middle class areas ?
You should probably ask those detailed questions on the Western NC Board. West Asheville is generally thought to be "middle class", there are no doubt other areas. I'm not sure which areas of Asheville are to avoided...I'm sure you could find maps showing crime rates and income by census tract or zip code and figure it out.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
You should probably ask those detailed questions on the Western NC Board. West Asheville is generally thought to be "middle class", there are no doubt other areas. I'm not sure which areas of Asheville are to avoided...I'm sure you could find maps showing crime rates and income by census tract or zip code and figure it out.
Thank you.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:57 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
The cold, dreary weather up here really is the main reason we are choosing to relocate. My days of shoveling snow and dealing with the cold nasty weather are done for! Lol! Plus my wife has Fibromyalgia which really flares up during the cold months here. Having to run the heater for 8 out of 12 months is no longer appealing.

We are looking for an area where folks are more open minded and educated as well.
Asheville is gorgeous, but does get a little colder in the winter. I'm still plugging for Charleston, SC. I think it ticks all your boxes. Military √, Air Force √, VA √, diverse √, beautiful √, warm & not dreary √

Old 07-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Asheville is gorgeous, but does get a little colder in the winter. I'm still plugging for Charleston, SC. I think it ticks all your boxes. Military √, Air Force √, VA √, diverse √, beautiful √, warm & not dreary √

Thank God the issue of racism is "finally" being addressed in a serious way. I can only be a good thing for the deep South and this country.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 6,315 times
Southern pines which is right next to Pinehurst has tons of military folks living there and the health care is very good due to First Health. There are a lot of military retirees living in the area as well as active duty soliders as well. The crime is very low and easy commute to Ft Bragg. Tons of great restaurants and shopping as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina