Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:32 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times

Advertisements

Inspired by a thread over in the Texas forum, how often do you see old Confederate symbols around NC? For example, maybe a "Johnny Reb" as a school mascot, or areas where you've noticed more Confederate Flags than others. North Carolina is an interesting southern state, we held off seceding for the longest time but gave more than any other Confederate state during the war. During the 50's and 60's, we weren't vicious on the same level as the Deep South, probably a reason we don't have too many Confederate Flag issues/controversies as opposed to South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi. I'm sure this'll turn into a debate but let's try to stay on the original topic at the same time. Do you think North Carolina will put up a fight to preserve Confederate heritage?

Old 07-02-2015, 07:41 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Inspired by a thread over in the Texas forum, how often do you see old Confederate symbols around NC? For example, maybe a "Johnny Reb" as a school mascot, or areas where you've noticed more Confederate Flags than others. North Carolina is an interesting southern state, we held off seceding for the longest time but gave more than any other Confederate state during the war. During the 50's and 60's, we weren't vicious on the same level as the Deep South, probably a reason we don't have too many Confederate Flag issues/controversies as opposed to South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi. I'm sure this'll turn into a debate but let's try to stay on the original topic at the same time. Do you think North Carolina will put up a fight to preserve Confederate heritage?
What exactly is the topic? Is it "Do you see many confederate symbols around NC"? Or is it "Will NC will put up a fight to preserve confederate heritage"?

If its the former, virtually every county courthouse has a monument to the confederacy, as does the old state capitol grounds, where Hillsborough Street dead ends into Salisbury Street.

If its the latter, I'm sure the forces of political correctness and overwhelming desire to protect the fragile feelings of those who may be offended will soon begin the dismantling of these monuments.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
What exactly is the topic? Is it "Do you see many confederate symbols around NC"? Or is it "Will NC will put up a fight to preserve confederate heritage"?

If its the former, virtually every county courthouse has a monument to the confederacy, as does the old state capitol grounds, where Hillsborough Street dead ends into Salisbury Street.

If its the latter, I'm sure the forces of political correctness and overwhelming desire to protect the fragile feelings of those who may be offended will soon begin the dismantling of these monuments.
It's both, but mainly how often you see Confederate symbols. Some counties don't have monuments on their courthouse lawns, I think Granville had their monument torn down during the riot in Oxford following the killing of Henry Marrow in 1970.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:54 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:

As if those who defend the battle flag of treason and associated symbols don't fall into this category.....

Old 07-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Does anyone know if any high schools in NC have Confederate soldiers as their mascots?

Old 07-02-2015, 07:56 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:

I'd say the "fragile feelings" are on the part of those are becoming unhinged because these relics are finally being relegated to the annals of history where they belong. Challenging the long-held status quo in a context where the "history" and "heritage" of one group has historically been privileged above those of other Americans has some folks' heads spinning and I must admit, it's both amusing and alarming at the same time.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:58 AM

I used to see several plaques in and around Uptown Charlotte quite often when I worked and lived there. One marking the location of Mrs. Stonewall Jackson's house, one commemorating the last meeting of the confederate cabinet during Pres. Davis' flight from Richmond, another marking the location of the NC Military Academy and its leader, Gen. Daniel Harvey Hill.

I rarely see confederate flags battle flags anymore. I see the first national flag of the confederacy a lot when I fly it on my front porch.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
As if those who defend the battle flag of treason and associated symbols don't fall into this category.....
Leaving a voluntary association isn't treason. Declaring one's independence from the mother country, however...

Old 07-02-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say the "fragile feelings" are on the part of those are becoming unhinged because these relics are finally being relegated to the annals of history where they belong.
No problem here with preserving history, but I'm pretty sure we'll soon be making history disappear.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Does anyone know if any high schools in NC have Confederate soldiers as their mascots?
A quick browse through the NC Helmet Project shows only two schools with "Rebel" names, neither of which use Confederate regalia in the logo - the South Stanly Rebel Bulls and the Parkwood Rebels. There are many more "Patriots" than "Rebels" amongst the NC High Schools!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina