Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:40 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times

Advertisements

Healthcare costs were skyrocketing regardless and although "Repeal Obamacare" sounds catchy and is a nice rally cry for some; it's hollow and will never happen. The problem is that nobody chanting this has any idea what to replace it with... The "old" implementation of our healthcare was completely broken at a macro level. Granted it was fine in the micro picture for some, but our generally unhealthy life styles, overuse / abuse of expensive procedures (i.e. surgery), and giving "free" service in every emergency room nationwide is unsustainable. Rural hospitals would continue closing and easy access to emergency healthcare would eventually have to go away for a significant chunk of our population. "For profit" healthcare has consequences long term. So unless you look forward to a day where people are bleeding out on the sidewalk in front of a hospital without insurance (being refused service), you better come up with a better idea then simply repealing the current ACA law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:12 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Healthcare costs were skyrocketing regardless and although "Repeal Obamacare" sounds catchy and is a nice rally cry for some; it's hollow and will never happen. The problem is that nobody chanting this has any idea what to replace it with... The "old" implementation of our healthcare was completely broken at a macro level. Granted it was fine in the micro picture for some, but our generally unhealthy life styles, overuse / abuse of expensive procedures (i.e. surgery), and giving "free" service in every emergency room nationwide is unsustainable. Rural hospitals would continue closing and easy access to emergency healthcare would eventually have to go away for a significant chunk of our population. "For profit" healthcare has consequences long term. So unless you look forward to a day where people are bleeding out on the sidewalk in front of a hospital without insurance (being refused service), you better come up with a better idea then simply repealing the current ACA law.
I totally agree. A million percent.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:29 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:

According to the healthcare experts, the entirety of the ACA doesn't have to be repealed per se. It can work better for everyone with a lot of 'refinement'. As it stands now, the insurance companies are wallowing in sinfully exorbitant profits and back pocket deals. There are pros and cons to everything; but balance is key.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:07 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
According to the healthcare experts, the entirety of the ACA doesn't have to be repealed per se. It can work better for everyone with a lot of 'refinement'. As it stands now, the insurance companies are wallowing in sinfully exorbitant profits and back pocket deals. There are pros and cons to everything; but balance is key.
This is the attitude I wish more people had... ACA was a compromise on so many levels that it suffers from its own weight. But instead of looking to improve it, there's a vocal minority too busy picking it apart as a whole - even after countless re-votes and SCOTUS telling them it's legal.

Suggest ways to make it better because we can't go back to the old way.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:07 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Thirty years as a social worker.

Power companies are worse.
Having dealt with the "poor" for many years I have found many Social "workers" to be part of the problem.

They do do anything they can to make sure the applicant gets what they "deserve" weather the deserve it or not.

So. I could say that SW are the worse.

And just as I thought . What makes a SW an "expert" on insurance companies and hospitals?

Old 07-11-2015, 07:02 PM

339 posts, read 318,869 times
I know someone who fell in dire straits when the ACA took hold.
They are below the poverty level and cannot get an ACA subsidy because of it .
Nor can they sign up for
Medicaid because Gov. McCrook didn't see fit to expand it.
My friend was left to:
# 1. do without health insurance and pay the fine on their tax returns then see wtf happens IF/When they need to a Dr. or emergency room.
# 2. pay the ridiculous price of close to 450 bucks a month for health insurance which would literally force them a lot faster to prob. living out on the streets .
How bad all this is for many, some prosper while lots other suffer terribly.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:49 AM

128 posts, read 151,411 times
Quote:
This is the attitude I wish more people had... ACA was a compromise on so many levels that it suffers from its own weight. But instead of looking to improve it, there's a vocal minority too busy picking it apart as a whole - even after countless re-votes and SCOTUS telling them it's legal.

Suggest ways to make it better because we can't go back to the old way.
Remember how it went down. At the start there were many proposals to actually address the extreme costs of American healthcare. One by one they were eliminated by lobbyists in Washington. What were we left with? A bill that was a massive gift to big pharma and the healthcare companies. Just look at their stock price rise over the past few years. So instead of trying to address the cost we have a subsidy to pay for it.
Not one new Doctor or hospital. All monopolies protected by Congress. And as predicted substantial yearly premium increases.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
Remember how it went down. At the start there were many proposals to actually address the extreme costs of American healthcare. One by one they were eliminated by lobbyists in Washington. What were we left with? A bill that was a massive gift to big pharma and the healthcare companies. Just look at their stock price rise over the past few years. So instead of trying to address the cost we have a subsidy to pay for it.
Not one new Doctor or hospital. All monopolies protected by Congress. And as predicted substantial yearly premium increases.
In Utopia there might be a better way/plan but this is America and profits before people is just the way it is. This thing is massive and hatched from a wide spectrum of ideas/principles including those from conservative think-tanks. Actually, yearly premium increases are at the lowest level in years but most experts don't know whether to attribute that to Obamacare or not. Of course the insurance companies are going to seek outrageous increases and then frame the causation directly to Obamacare to fleece the flock.

However the ACA is getting more people insured, insuring people with pre-existing conditions with numerous other benefits that will go unnoticed by the general public until it is needed. Even then, most people will assume these benefits aren't part of ACA.

The runaway healthcare industry has been in train wreck mode for decades and the ACA is the first attempt at addressing the issue. I don't think opening new hospitals or adding doctors, etc was the first goal. I think keeping existing hospitals open was the first goal, especially in rural areas where treating voluminous numbers of uninsured people was the norm that resulted in revenue lost at exponential rates.

It's a huge bill, iron out the kinks, keep tweaking to improve but repeal and replace? With what? It ain't gonna happen even if on paper it makes 1000x more sense, too many pockets to grease and too much money involved. I am really surprised it got this far, usually the government/system will just let people die or go broke prior to impacting corporate profits.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 07-12-2015 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 06:56 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I'm confused" I would say mis-informed.

As a worker you PAY into Medicare.

Upon reaching age 65 you get Medicare A, which is hospital coverage ONLY. It doesn't pay 100%

You can ELECT to have Medicare B,C,D etc. which are health care insurance policy's which you PAY monthly premiums for.

MOST private employers drop you from their company health care insurance policy when you reach 65 because you CAN get Medicare part A, B etc.

Some will pay a portion of the coverage, some will not.

I elected to NOT take Medicare part B etc. because my employer does NOT drop you from thier plan at age 62.
I definitely plead ignorance, and appreciate your & JK's information. I knew Medicare wasn't 100% coverage, but I did not know what the limits were.

In your opinion - taking into account the "what should you use insurance for?" analogy into consideration - how necessary are parts B-D?

Old 07-13-2015, 04:21 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I definitely plead ignorance, and appreciate your & JK's information. I knew Medicare wasn't 100% coverage, but I did not know what the limits were.

In your opinion - taking into account the "what should you use insurance for?" analogy into consideration - how necessary are parts B-D?
Totally essential unless you are rich enough to cover most of your costs for prescriptions and outpatient medical services. Even then, the cost doesn't outweigh the risk.

Also remember that if you do not enroll when you are first eligible, there are penalties in the form of higher premiums when you do enroll. (Exclusions exist, including still getting insurance through an employer. It's a complicated system.)

I reevaluate DH's part D every year, based on what scripts he is currently taking. There's a very good online system that compares different plans and costs. I've changed his plan 5 times in the last 7 years. Since he hits the donut hole most years, drugs are a significant medical bill to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina