U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:34 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,171,613 times

Advertisements

The thing that always impressed me about the majority of NC is the degree of relative racial harmony in most rural places. It's not uncommon to see an old white man and old black sitting on the porch or going out hunting fishing together. As others have said, you are more likely find a division between locals and new people. There are also divisions in class but there's even less of that. Mainly b/c of a lot of the people that are "rolling in it" you'd never know to look at them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:22 PM

31,027 posts, read 37,068,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
1. This may be asking for too much in today's world, but are there any rural areas within an hour's drive of a major city that has both low crime AND some measure of racial harmony??

2. I've lived in two places in the south for short periods, and both time I was told that "I'd have to choose" ... meaning, choose who I want to speak to ... (beyond general work lingo) ... either whites or blacks. Is this ... "dynamic" also true for NC?
Depending on some variables yes. You are talking about outside of work and in social settings and the community. As another poster said just look at church on Sunday morning. Depending on your previous experiences and age you will find it more or less likely. You can get it from your same race or other races. It isn't everyone but there is the old boy/girl community, transplant community etc etc etc. You will find friendly people and not so friendly people. You will find new developments with a mixture of folks. If you come from a progressive as in a San Francisco kind of place you might find many areas to be less tolerant then your previous experiences. It depends on your job and the general cultural tolerance of the typical person in your job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina