Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 AM

194 posts, read 325,736 times

Advertisements

It took some effort to get a lottery in NC.
It was voted on a number of times before passing the NC Education Lottery.

Has anyone seen any real improvements in their local schools since we got the Education Lottery?

Recently Wake County implemented a hiring freeze.
In Dec. they announced an $11M budget cut.
Granted we are going through a tough economic time- but seriously has anyone seen the difference that we should have expected for our schools with millions of new revenue generated from the Education Lottery?

It seems to me that teachers have continued to struggle with the same problems that existed before we had millions coming in from the Education Lottery. (Low teacher pay, high classroom ratio, lack of supplies, running out of paper before the end of the school yr. and needing to make purchases out of pocket.)

Love to hear about all the wonderful things the NC Education Lottery has done to improve NC schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
This really should go in the General NC section, not the Triangle region.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
This really should go in the General NC section, not the Triangle region.
Maybe to Politics and Other Controversies or a Mythology section, since no one functioning at the cognitive level of a crape myrtle believed for a nanosecond that Educational benefit was a motivating force for a Lottery in North Carolina.

Bribery scandals before the first ticket was scratched weren't over whose textbooks to offer....

Old 02-12-2009, 07:51 AM

194 posts, read 325,736 times
Oops - U are right. Can I move or delete my post or is that only a staff thing?

Old 02-12-2009, 09:29 AM

80 posts, read 231,956 times
Before this thread gets moved/locked, a couple of thoughts:

1. Lottery revenues would have no effect on hiring freezes, operating budget issues. The revenue largely goes to pay for capital projects, i.e. buildings.

2. For Wake, the county doesn't really see a comparatively large sum of money because its distributed not based on population.

3. I'm not a huge proponent of the lottery, but a decent chunk of change was already flowing out of state; might as well keep it home.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbear View Post

but a decent chunk of change was already flowing out of state; might as well keep it home.

Word.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:19 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
The lottery was never meant to make children better students. From what I understand it's used for capital projects mostly and it probably helps Wake fund one new school a year if that. I don't know why people have this grand vision of the lottery being a cure all for all that is wrong with NC school systems. Why do people get so upset when they realize that it's not changing school test scores for the better? It was never meant to do that and the GREATEST thing about the lottery is you don't ever have to pay a cent to fund it if you don't want to.

Lottery = poor mans 401k

Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Absolutely - my kids are now much more able to calculate the odds of winning any given gamble.

The lottery is a tax on stupidity. The more stupidity you have, the more of the tax you pay.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
The NC Education Lootery is a tax on those that need more education in math, a.k.a a tax on stupid.

Nor does it benefit education by providing additional money to the schools, it is merely used to replace money from the general fund which is no longer spent on education, but used on pork projects.

Fortunately, as a tax on stupidity, it hasn't cost me a single penny.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:09 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
Word.
Double word

I just did a few searches: before the NC lottery was organized, an estimated $100 million flowed into VA each year. An estimated $36 million was lost in sales tax.

Yeah, it's a tax on the stupid, but at least the stupid money stays here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina