Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 18,234 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to make the citizens' of Statesville and the surrounding area aware of our next Citizens' Police Academy. Class number five will start on March 27, 2008. If your interested in attending please visit the police department website at http://www.ci.statesville.nc.us/index.php/content/?cgi-bin=0&session_id=5c9a5115532a1510c055c5f2d3e5f13d& id=170 (broken link) You may also pick up an application at the police department. If you have any questions feel free to contact Officer B. McCoy (704) 878-3442. Hope to see a few of you in the next class!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 11:23 AM

473 posts, read 700,948 times
Could you please explain some of the curriculum and the objectives of the Academy?

Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
Could you please explain some of the curriculum and the objectives of the Academy?
The following is verbatim from the office of the chief,

The goal of the Citizens’ Police Academy is to increase community understanding of police services and to inform interested cadets of the career opportunities available at the Statesville Police Department. The blocks of instruction are designed to help the citizen better understand police functions. It will also provide an opportunity for your feedback and help us better serve you and the community.
Each class will be taught by a police officer that will discuss the functions of each Division. Some of the topics to be discussed are criminal law, domestic violence, gang awareness, crime prevention, use of force, crime scene processing, and DWI enforcement. As cadets, you will participate in a ride-a-long with a patrol officer. You will receive hands on training in subject control and arrest techniques. You will also face very exciting yet challenging shoot or no shoot situations utilizing a simulator.

As I stated that was verbatim from the chief, as the coordinator I have seen great relationships built between the police department and the citizens that have attended. Many of the graduates were instrumental in the successful pay study that was just approved in Statesville. We have also had more citizen involvement with our weed and seed effort in south Statesville as a direct result of citizens becoming informed about what goes on in south Statesville. It’s a great opportunity for the citizens to have an open door to the officers that patrol the city and for the citizens to see what a police officer really goes does, not just what you see on television.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:29 PM

473 posts, read 700,948 times
Thanks for all the info. Is this program in any other cities or counties in NC? It sounds like it would help police/citizen relations a lot.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nims View Post
Thanks for all the info. Is this program in any other cities or counties in NC? It sounds like it would help police/citizen relations a lot.
It is, but very limited. If your not a resident of Iredell county and want to give me the general area you reside in I can attempt to locate some information on academies in your area.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,852 times
Officer Barnes;
March has passed. The academy for August 2008 was cancelled.
Do you know the dates for 2009? I am in CJ course at MCC and tried to do the academy in Aug., need to get my schedule set up for spring so need to know dates if it is even going to be offered.
Thanks much
student

Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,627 times
I am currently a Criminal Justice College student and i will be graduating June 6, 2009. I am seeking to enter into a Police Academy to get training to be a police officer and i need help in assisting me in finding one that do not only pays me to attend but as well prosper me in findong a job after I complete the training? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina