U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

North Carolina: education, teacher, curriculum, superintendent.

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,883 posts, read 70,340,758 times
Reputation: 22582

Advertisements

I hate to say it, but sometimes, if issues are not being addressed, getting a group together to complain can be effective. However, I don't know if you can round up enuff people willing to go in as a group and say "we are united in our concern about A, B, C, D w/ this teacher."

It is such a difficult position to be in, b/c you do not want to be thought of as a trouble-maker, plus you don't want your child to get targeted, either . . . but if your child is in staying upset . . .

Well, I guess I should ask that. Is your child staying upset about his/her treatment in the classroom? Or is he not making good grades that reflect his ability and you feel it is b/c the teacher is ineffective? Or is there bullying going on?

I know that sometimes administrators feel that the issues parents bring up on such things as how a teacher dresses are just side issues - and simply a way to "run down" a teacher that they don't like. You might get further if you concentrate on the teacher's inability to effectively relay information, or how he/she bullies or humiliates children . . . Just a thought and don't know if this would be of any help or apply to your situation at all!

I just know that nothing in my life has ever been more frustrating than trying to sort through issues w/ a teacher and my child . . . as you are somewhat 'stuck' and at the mercy of both the teacher and the principal. This is your child you are trying to protect and to make sure he/she not only receives a good education, but also does not dread going to school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2008, 09:52 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,087 posts, read 13,651,405 times
Reputation: 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Oh, and I have no idea about hats. I hate them! I wore one on "hat day" but no other time. In my experience, the only people I have seen with a hat on were male high school gym teachers!
I always thought that the majority of guys who wore ball caps were going bald and it is their way of not advertising. Almost all of the balding guys I know wear ball caps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 AM
 
Location: NC
77 posts, read 256,933 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Are you sure the principal didn't handle it privately with the teacher? Are these problems still occurring? Sometimes, in our school, when a parent calls regarding something, my principal will send it out as a school wide concern and not speak with the individual unless it persists. Sort of like giving them a warning and chance to fix it.
As for dress code, it varies by district. I come from the north, and the dress code here is MUCH more relaxed! Where I student taught in Michigan, you could not wear capris, open toed shoes, etc... Here, I can wear capris and flip flops! I love it! Anyway, our dress code in my county has no policy on shoes, shorts are OK as long as they are finger tip length, however my principal asks us not to wear them. Jeans only every other Friday with a monetary contribution to charity. As for tops, I believe straps have to be one inch in width. Our principal tells us no low cut tops (although a teacher had one so low earlier this year her bra was visible and she did not get sent home ). It's hard for me to imagine people wearing low cut tops! If I think something may be seen when I am leaning over (much less upright), I will safety pin my cami to my bra so it stays high!
Jaynari
No- I'm not sure that he hasn't already spoken to her but I am told that nothing has changed by my child. I will find out tomorrow. I was told that she disciplined another child for talking in line by bringing him up to the front of the class and making some comment that caused the whole class to laugh at him. That sounds more like humiliation to me. Oh - and this was well after our complaint to the principle about her. The kids can not where spaghetti straps, short shorts or shoes without backs (nothing that flops). The teacher shows her cleavage almost every day. Principles comment was "she is not dressing inappropriate" - kind of like he already dealt with it and that was the conclusion of it all. I doubt that they would let the female students do that. Anyway - thanks for the input. We'll see.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 06:42 AM
 
Location: NC
77 posts, read 256,933 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I hate to say it, but sometimes, if issues are not being addressed, getting a group together to complain can be effective. However, I don't know if you can round up enuff people willing to go in as a group and say "we are united in our concern about A, B, C, D w/ this teacher."

It is such a difficult position to be in, b/c you do not want to be thought of as a trouble-maker, plus you don't want your child to get targeted, either . . . but if your child is in staying upset . . .

Well, I guess I should ask that. Is your child staying upset about his/her treatment in the classroom? Or is he not making good grades that reflect his ability and you feel it is b/c the teacher is ineffective? Or is there bullying going on?

I know that sometimes administrators feel that the issues parents bring up on such things as how a teacher dresses are just side issues - and simply a way to "run down" a teacher that they don't like. You might get further if you concentrate on the teacher's inability to effectively relay information, or how he/she bullies or humiliates children . . . Just a thought and don't know if this would be of any help or apply to your situation at all!

I just know that nothing in my life has ever been more frustrating than trying to sort through issues w/ a teacher and my child . . . as you are somewhat 'stuck' and at the mercy of both the teacher and the principal. This is your child you are trying to protect and to make sure he/she not only receives a good education, but also does not dread going to school.
Anifani
Almost did get a small group together but we had individual concerns also so just did our own thing. Oh yes - very upset - she cries over it. I don't know how the other kids deal with it but I hear things about other parents concerns. A couple of kids were pulled out and home schooled. I am curious to know if it had anything to do with the teacher. I just can't understand why any teacher would care so little about what their students think of them. I would want my students to have respect for me and these kids certainly do not respect this teacher.
Thank you for the kind words. Will let you know what happens.
Jengal
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 07:05 AM
 
Location: beautiful NC mountains!
904 posts, read 2,686,452 times
Reputation: 1267
I would put something in writing. Make a dated copy for yourself and start keeping track of everything you feel is inappropriate. I would agree with some of the others that the more parents that are willing to get involved, the better. If things do not change after a letter to the principle then I would demand that my child be removed from that class. If that is not a possibility then I would send a letter to the superintendent. Our first responsibility is to our children. Who cares what the school thinks about the parents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 07:25 AM
 
Location: NC
77 posts, read 256,933 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
I would put something in writing. Make a dated copy for yourself and start keeping track of everything you feel is inappropriate. I would agree with some of the others that the more parents that are willing to get involved, the better. If things do not change after a letter to the principle then I would demand that my child be removed from that class. If that is not a possibility then I would send a letter to the superintendent. Our first responsibility is to our children. Who cares what the school thinks about the parents.
I know it. And the principle and teacher's first responsibility is to the children also! Whats wrong with this picture!
We gave the principle a list of things but he could have trashed it for all I know. I will document everything. Thanks.
Jengal
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Back in the Mitten. Formerly NC
3,832 posts, read 5,797,135 times
Reputation: 5340
Sounds like you may have one of those crappy principals. I've worked for both (the ones who are never around and don't care and the ones who are on top of you all the time), and I'd rather work for the one who is constantly on you making sure you do everything. I'd go express concern again and then say a trip to the administration office if nothing changes.
Let me guess, is the principal an older man? Like late 50's, early 60's? I'm not saying anything about all principals in that range (I had a great one when I was in elementary), but all the crappy ones I have seen fit that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 10:49 AM
 
Location: NC
77 posts, read 256,933 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Sounds like you may have one of those crappy principals. I've worked for both (the ones who are never around and don't care and the ones who are on top of you all the time), and I'd rather work for the one who is constantly on you making sure you do everything. I'd go express concern again and then say a trip to the administration office if nothing changes.
Let me guess, is the principal an older man? Like late 50's, early 60's? I'm not saying anything about all principals in that range (I had a great one when I was in elementary), but all the crappy ones I have seen fit that!
You got it. No - all are not like that. You can tell he's counting the days though. Found out that she was retired so they just pulled her in last minute because they lost a teacher right before school started. Don't think she needs the job so I'd say it's more the principle not wanting to look for a replacement. I'm sure it would be a headache for him. I'd rather have a sub right out of school at this point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2008, 07:01 AM
 
Location: NC
77 posts, read 256,933 times
Reputation: 15
Default Just an update

Just thought I'd let all know - Basically I was told it was addressed and thats that. If there is something else that comes up let him know. Looks like if it continues we'll be talking to the super.
Thanks to all for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2008, 02:08 PM
 
Location: beautiful NC mountains!
904 posts, read 2,686,452 times
Reputation: 1267
You know, it's sad. The majority of teachers are so hard working, educated, caring individuals. They put more time in than we know, spend their own money on supplies, deal with difficult kids, you name it. I think most are saints here on earth. Then there are the other ones...they just don't care or they think they are one of the kids, try to be friends with them, dress like them etc. It's a shame and a blemish on an other wise wonderful profession. Too bad there aren't more fantastic teachers out there so we could weed out the bad ones. Too bad the job doesn't pay more and we would have more wonderful teachers and the ones who don't care could go find a different job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top