U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

North Carolina: education, teacher, curriculum, superintendent.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 AM

77 posts, read 256,398 times

Advertisements

First let me say that I have a very great respect for teachers. I do not complain at every little thing.
I am hoping that someone can tell me where to find whatever laws there are that teachers have to abide by in their classrooms. We have been having some problems with our child's 6th gr teacher. Other parents/kids also - not just us. It ranges from not following the curriculum to inapropriate comments, dress, behavior to humiliating kids in front of other kids and so on. I'm not going in to every little detail. I would rather not mention what county. I know that there is a teacher shortage here but at this point I think a different sub every week that actually follows the curriculum and doesn't intimidate and knock down the kid's self esteem would be better. I know there is a grievance procedure but you have to state the specific law they are breaking. How are we supposed to know? We've talked to the principle and will again but would like to get info to be prepared. I just know its not right. Please help - I would really appreciate any input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 05:20 PM

3,832 posts, read 5,755,716 times
I am a teacher, but new to the state. So, I can not attest to any laws being broken. But, before it even goes to a higher power, it needs to be brought to the principal's attention. Let them handle it. Things like dress code are school district policy and can vary. So, if you haven't already made a complaint with the principal, that needs to be your first step.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 PM

7,087 posts, read 13,609,627 times
Even if no laws are being broken, it could well be a case of bad teaching. Children who are browbeaten by teachers tend not to learn and an average rate. If the child is not learning it is a failure of the school. I agree with Jaynarie, speak with the principle, if the problem is not addressed, speak again. If still no response, call the school board and make an appointment to speak with someone there. Humiliation is not a good teaching tool.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,129,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengal View Post
First let me say that I have a very great respect for teachers. I do not complain at every little thing.
I am hoping that someone can tell me where to find whatever laws there are that teachers have to abide by in their classrooms. We have been having some problems with our child's 6th gr teacher. Other parents/kids also - not just us. It ranges from not following the curriculum to inapropriate comments, dress, behavior to humiliating kids in front of other kids and so on. I'm not going in to every little detail. I would rather not mention what county. I know that there is a teacher shortage here but at this point I think a different sub every week that actually follows the curriculum and doesn't intimidate and knock down the kid's self esteem would be better. I know there is a grievance procedure but you have to state the specific law they are breaking. How are we supposed to know? We've talked to the principle and will again but would like to get info to be prepared. I just know its not right. Please help - I would really appreciate any input.
You do not need to have any "law" or "policy" in hand to handle this. All you need to do is go directly to the principal (or the asst. principal) and discuss the matter w/ him or her. If you go over the principal's head, you are going to not only get labeled a trouble-maker, all the superintendant is going to do is refer you back to the principal. Just write down your concerns, ask to make an appt to talk to the principal or asst. principal - go in and calmly go over your list and ask what can be done.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 PM

Jay-Dusty-Ani
Thank you very much for the input. Yes - we did already speak to the principle. Haven't gotten any acknowledgement that the issue was addressed yet though (been about 7 or more school days now). So we will ask I guess. I just figured or was hoping that we would be told by the principle what took place with the teacher without having to ask. I'm afraid nothing will get done though. That's why I wanted to know what law I have to site to put in an official grievance. Hopefully it will not have to go that far. I really, really don't want to go that route. I sure don't want to be labeled a trouble maker since I'm NOT. I just feel an obligation to advocate for my child. The children are the ones getting the raw end of the deal. It's unbelievable what can be gotten away with.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:34 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,129,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengal View Post
Jay-Dusty-Ani
Thank you very much for the input. Yes - we did already speak to the principle. Haven't gotten any acknowledgement that the issue was addressed yet though (been about 7 or more school days now). So we will ask I guess. I just figured or was hoping that we would be told by the principle what took place with the teacher without having to ask. I'm afraid nothing will get done though. That's why I wanted to know what law I have to site to put in an official grievance. Hopefully it will not have to go that far. I really, really don't want to go that route. I sure don't want to be labeled a trouble maker since I'm NOT. I just feel an obligation to advocate for my child. The children are the ones getting the raw end of the deal. It's unbelievable what can be gotten away with.
I just re-read what I wrote and I see that I did not sound very sympathetic and I did not mean to come across that way.

Nothing is more upsetting than situations at school that affect our kids. So I am sorry that I did not express my concern in a more sympathetic way. I am sure this has been quite upsetting for you and your whole family.

I honestly do not know of a law that has to do w/ a teacher's performance. I would assume there is some sort of code of conduct that is recognized by school systems, but that is just a supposition. ????

I know you are hesitant to post exactly what has transpired but w/o some kind of indication about the conduct, I would not know where to even start to help you research this. I am assuming this is not something of a sexual nature, as you would have gone to the police w/ that.

Have any of the other parents actually gone to the principal about these matters? Do you know? Did the principal indicate a time frame for when he/she would be getting back to you? Or were you just told "I will look into it" and that was it?

I know I would want to know if the concerns had been addressed, so I think I would call the principal or stop by his/her office and just say - I was wondering if you had investigated our concerns and what, if any action you are taking . . . You should document the dates and times you talk to the principal, and then if you still get no satisfactory answer, you should write to the school superintendent, and outline your concerns, briefly, and cite the dates and times you spoke w/ the principal - and relay that you would like to know that the situations have been addressed.

If there is a website for your school district, it may be that there is a section devoted to "complaints/concerns" and who to address them to, etc.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I just re-read what I wrote and I see that I did not sound very sympathetic and I did not mean to come across that way.

Nothing is more upsetting than situations at school that affect our kids. So I am sorry that I did not express my concern in a more sympathetic way. I am sure this has been quite upsetting for you and your whole family.

I honestly do not know of a law that has to do w/ a teacher's performance. I would assume there is some sort of code of conduct that is recognized by school systems, but that is just a supposition. ????

I know you are hesitant to post exactly what has transpired but w/o some kind of indication about the conduct, I would not know where to even start to help you research this. I am assuming this is not something of a sexual nature, as you would have gone to the police w/ that.

Have any of the other parents actually gone to the principal about these matters? Do you know? Did the principal indicate a time frame for when he/she would be getting back to you? Or were you just told "I will look into it" and that was it?

I know I would want to know if the concerns had been addressed, so I think I would call the principal or stop by his/her office and just say - I was wondering if you had investigated our concerns and what, if any action you are taking . . . You should document the dates and times you talk to the principal, and then if you still get no satisfactory answer, you should write to the school superintendent, and outline your concerns, briefly, and cite the dates and times you spoke w/ the principal - and relay that you would like to know that the situations have been addressed.

If there is a website for your school district, it may be that there is a section devoted to "complaints/concerns" and who to address them to, etc.
I didn't take your comments as unsympethetic. Sorry if it looked that way. My mad face was just a general mad - not directed to you. So far we are doing exactly what was suggested. I will find out next week what action was taken - think I've given enough time for that. Do teachers have to follow any where near the dress code the children do? Like no spaghetti straps, no showing cleavage, no hats, etc.? I did get on the county web site and thats where it talked about grievance procedures and that the actual "law" or whatever had to be sited that the teacher was breaking. Sounds like the county doesn't want to make it easy to put in a grievance. The principle is near retirement so I'm sure he doesn't want any trouble but I think that they might be friends. The teacher will sometime keep different kids from switching over to another class and lecture them about whatever they did wrong. If they need disciplined it shouldn't be during another teacher's class that they are supposed to be in. All we want is for our child to have a normal day at school and be able to learn in a positive environment. Is that too much to ask?! I really appreciate your help.
Jengal

Old 01-26-2008, 08:51 AM

Anifani - Noticed I didn't answer all your questions. Here it goes. I'm bold.

No - but some inappropriate behavior and comments. Walking a thin line I would say.

Yes - other parents have gone to/talked to him about some same issues and or their own issues concerning the teacher. We were just told "I will look into it" - that was it.

I will do this.

Thank you.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:34 PM

Are you sure the principal didn't handle it privately with the teacher? Are these problems still occurring? Sometimes, in our school, when a parent calls regarding something, my principal will send it out as a school wide concern and not speak with the individual unless it persists. Sort of like giving them a warning and chance to fix it.
As for dress code, it varies by district. I come from the north, and the dress code here is MUCH more relaxed! Where I student taught in Michigan, you could not wear capris, open toed shoes, etc... Here, I can wear capris and flip flops! I love it! Anyway, our dress code in my county has no policy on shoes, shorts are OK as long as they are finger tip length, however my principal asks us not to wear them. Jeans only every other Friday with a monetary contribution to charity. As for tops, I believe straps have to be one inch in width. Our principal tells us no low cut tops (although a teacher had one so low earlier this year her bra was visible and she did not get sent home ). It's hard for me to imagine people wearing low cut tops! If I think something may be seen when I am leaning over (much less upright), I will safety pin my cami to my bra so it stays high!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:36 PM

Oh, and I have no idea about hats. I hate them! I wore one on "hat day" but no other time. In my experience, the only people I have seen with a hat on were male high school gym teachers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina