Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:06 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,459,028 times

Advertisements

This is a strange thread topic, but it has often crossed my mind. I know many transplants who seem to think of themselves as North Carolinians, even though it's obvious they're not originally from here. Does this bother anyone? Or, maybe someone was born in North Carolina, but their parents aren't from here. Therefore, they don't really have any heritage or deep roots here. However, is it important to actually have ancestry/roots or not really? Any thoughts? For example, I'm all North Carolina on my Dad's side but my Mom isn't from here and has Midwestern roots. Asking out of curiosity.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 08-09-2015 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 PM

396 posts, read 406,528 times
I was born and raised in North Carolina to German/French parents. Consequently I have never really known in whose camp I really belonged. My parents are radically different from your typical North Carolinian today, so the 1980s/90s were an interesting decade.

I preface what I am about to say with this qualifier: the experience differs widely based on where you live, but the North Carolina of my youth was unforgiving, for lack of a better word, particularly in the semi-rural area in which I lived (Asheboro). Nepotism was rampant and unless you had those "deep roots" in the area you were largely excluded at certain community functions, a fact that became particularly apparent in high school. Certain family names were rewarded in a variety of ways regardless of whether or not it was deserved (anyone from Randolph County could likely identify a couple of those families. I am not going to.), but that exists in numerous towns across America.

Regardless of what many a North Carolinians would say, numerous areas in this state retain a certain level of "fear" when it comes to outsiders. This may not exist as much in Charlotte, Raleigh, or Greensboro, but it definitely exists in some of your smaller communities like Sanford, Asheboro, Wilkesboro, etc. Many times as a teenager people would say to me "You ain't from around here are you?" To which I would just meekly reply that I was born and raised in North Carolina.

Religion is a huge part of it as well. Both my parents (especially my mom) are extremely secular. That is just the way it is in many communities back in Europe. We never went to church, which made for some absolutely horrible experiences when I was questioned about my religious beliefs. I still feel like the line of questioning goes "Where are you from? What church do you go to?"

Yet, my parents constantly criticize me for being too "North Carolinian." Funny world. North Carolina is a beautiful state with a rich history and a lot going for it, but my admittedly unique situation has made me a bit more critical than I probably should be.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:49 PM

I have direct ancestors from North Carolina who fought for the Confederacy, one was killed. I feel like this simple fact means a lot, that I actually have heritage here. I have one friend who was born here but his parents aren't natives, and he tells me he "comes from a horrible background" considering North Carolina's past history of slavery and Jim Crow. Well, he doesn't even have ancestors who lived through those time periods here in North Carolina. Y'all know what I'm trying to say? It sounds silly but I feel like I'm bringing up an interesting point.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:53 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,526,247 times
I grew up in Carteret County. My dad's family there goes back to the 1700s.

There are a lot of transplants and tourists there. When a transplant or tourist's behavior comes into question, the comment from the natives is often, "He's from off." Others just nod their heads, understanding. That seems to explain it all.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:02 PM

It's just interesting IMO. I ran into a lady originally from New York, but had her two children down here in NC. She was telling me how they (her kids) were "now southern" and they could "root for the Confederates" if they wanted to and "live like Scarlett O'Hara and Ashley Wilkes." Her husband wasn't even from here, either! I didn't say anything but I was tempted to say something along the lines of, "If they don't have any ancestors who fought for the Confederacy out of North Carolina or at least lived through that time period, you're not making sense."

Old 08-09-2015, 11:43 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,483,776 times
I am a North Carolinian through and through. I was born and raised in NC. My mother's paternal family was primarily from Stanly County; my maternal grandmother was from Shelby. My father was the son of a country Baptist preacher and grew up up all over eastern NC including Fuquay Varina, Beaufort, Bethel, among others. My father's maternal family was from Wake County. My father's paternal family was from Anson County. I was born in Albemarle and grew up up in Raleigh. In my adult life, I've lived all over NC in my 60+ years including Laurinburg (for college), Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh, Boone, and Banner Elk... plus a brief time in Greenville, SC.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,457,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
It's just interesting IMO. I ran into a lady originally from New York, but had her two children down here in NC. She was telling me how they (her kids) were "now southern" and they could "root for the Confederates" if they wanted to and "live like Scarlett O'Hara and Ashley Wilkes." Her husband wasn't even from here, either! I didn't say anything but I was tempted to say something along the lines of, "If they don't have any ancestors who fought for the Confederacy out of North Carolina or at least lived through that time period, you're not making sense."
That woman is nuts, in my opinion. However, her children are natives of North Carolina. I'm a native of Michigan, though I haven't lived there for decades. I had ancestors in North Carolina in the 1760s. In 2 generations I had people go from Pennsylvania to NC to SC to Georgia, back to NC then on to Ohio. A town in the Triad is named for one of my ancestors but that doesn't make me anything other than a Michigan native.

That said, in my opinion, to tie service in the Confederate army as a litmus test is also wrong. Many North Carolina men served because they were forced to. Quakers were allowed to pay a fine & avoid serving. Their descendants are not less North Carolina natives because their ancestors did not serve for religious reasons.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:02 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,483,776 times
For the actual definition of the word "native" - wherever a person is born... that's where he/she is a native. It makes no difference where their parents or ancestors are from. But that's not the question the OP is asking in the title of this thread. As for who can be considered a "true" North Carolinian I think anyone who lives here (no matter for how long) and truly loves this state can consider themselves as such. I think it's a state of mind (pun intended), not one of heritage.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 AM

2,841 posts, read 2,953,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That woman is nuts, in my opinion. However, her children are natives of North Carolina. I'm a native of Michigan, though I haven't lived there for decades. I had ancestors in North Carolina in the 1760s. In 2 generations I had people go from Pennsylvania to NC to SC to Georgia, back to NC then on to Ohio. A town in the Triad is named for one of my ancestors but that doesn't make me anything other than a Michigan native.

That said, in my opinion, to tie service in the Confederate army as a litmus test is also wrong. Many North Carolina men served because they were forced to. Quakers were allowed to pay a fine & avoid serving. Their descendants are not less North Carolina natives because their ancestors did not serve for religious reasons.
I'm ok with this

Much better than the "We need NYC water for our bagels crowd".

I mean honestly a transplant who wants to participate in the local culture and be a part of it is the best kind IMO

Old 08-10-2015, 07:42 AM

2,841 posts, read 2,953,988 times
I'm from the interior coastal plane and a rural county my grandfathers era came from a small farm back when you navigated by river and my moms family was from pembroke area originally but im not sure of their roots but lol at being anything other than "stuck" in pembroke NC.

Most of family background is from Scotch Irish / Ulster Scot settlers (northern ireland presbyterians) and in fact my family church was a deep deep woods eastern NC presbyterian church where SOME HOW lots of folks still talk with german accents and there were people there named "Hans"

IMO I'm super interested in understanding the european migration lines but it's hard to tease it out. Especially the mountain vs coastal settlers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina