Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:28 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, you'd be wrong. I'm a native North Carolinian who did not grow up in the Triangle although I live here now and I certainly knew where the Triangle and the Triad were as well as the Tri-Cities (Johnson City TN, Bristol TN/VA and Kingsport TN).

Raleigh-Durham is the airport.

If you want to say something hyphenated Raleigh-Cary would make more sense or Durham-Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill and Durham run up against each other. Raleigh and Durham don't even really share a border.
^^^^ Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 08:14 AM

530 posts, read 637,692 times
Quote:

If you want to say something hyphenated Raleigh-Cary would make more sense or Durham-Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill and Durham run up against each other. Raleigh and Durham don't even really share a border.

Those are actually the official census metropolitan designations. It is Durham-Chapel Hill and Raleigh-Cary, which makes sense to me.

Raleigh and Durham are clearly two different cities even though they are all a part of the triangle.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:03 AM

464 posts, read 523,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityEric View Post
I find it interesting that there is a clear split between people thinking which city is more urban. To me Durham is way more urban and moving further that way. Raleigh seems more suburban to me. I guess I can see why people could feel one way or the other. That said, Durham appears to be focusing everything on downtown now.
Durham isn't "way more urban" lol. Durham has nothing that Raleigh doesn't . They're both great cities.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:06 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
I like it when the sports announcers say Durham-Raleigh, NC.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:21 AM

150 posts, read 227,449 times
you only see Raleigh-Durham mentioned together either when flying or from non locals as on this site.

No one from here ever says Raleigh-Durham.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:09 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Durham isn't "way more urban" lol. Durham has nothing that Raleigh doesn't. They're both great cities.
Raleig

Last edited by LordHelmit; 08-16-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 07:27 PM

5,147 posts, read 3,756,477 times
Quote:
Well, you'd be wrong. I'm a native North Carolinian who did not grow up in the Triangle although I live here now and I certainly knew where the Triangle and the Triad were as well as the Tri-Cities (Johnson City TN, Bristol TN/VA and Kingsport TN).

Isn't there a Raleigh Durham border on Route 70?

Old 08-16-2015, 07:32 PM

142 posts, read 175,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Durham isn't "way more urban" lol. Durham has nothing that Raleigh doesn't . They're both great cities.
Agree they are both great cities. That said, your "lol" and "Durham has nothing..." comments has forced me to reply... Durham has a downtown sports team in the Bulls, the second highest grossing performing arts center of its size in the country, which is DPAC and also downtown, American Tobacco Campus, voter passed funding for planned public transportation in light rail, etc. ... All I am saying is that the majority of Durham's growth right now is downtown focused and while Raleigh is growing downtown, the core of its growth is still in its Suburban areas. ... As you and I have both stated they are both great cities, so don't read this post as anything other than what it is.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:28 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Isn't there a Raleigh Durham border on Route 70?
You're right. Thanks for the correction. There are a few miles near Brier Creek where there's a shared border, but mostly Durham shares borders with Chapel Hill and Raleigh with its many suburbs.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:42 PM

142 posts, read 175,835 times
Quote:
You're right. Thanks for the correction. There are a few miles near Brier Creek where there's a shared border, but mostly Durham shares borders with Chapel Hill and Raleigh with its many suburbs.
Durham also shares a border with Morrisville and Cary too. But those are 'Raleigh suburbs' typically and in most people's eyes.

That said, I agree with the Raleigh-Cary MSA. HOWEVER, I have tons of friends in the new West Cary area near 55/751/Southpoint and with the new toll road and Durham Freeway that side of Cary frequents downtown Durham more than Downtown Raleigh. Unlikely that the MSA changes in 2020, but will be interesting around 2030 to see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina