Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:14 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times

Advertisements

[quote=epicene101;40858376]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

I understand that, I was just responding to this way more urban narrative that kept poping up. You'd think Durham was DC and Raleigh was Alexandria,VA (despite Raleigh being a good bit larger than Durham) the way people harp on Raleigh being so suburban in comparison to other cities in the state. You can feel like Durham is more urban, but that doesn't necessarily make it true. A lot of families do move here to raise a family because Raleigh has great clean suburbs, but Raleigh is also having a condo boom right downtown, so it offers amenities for the younger crowd (like myself) as well.

I've been on this forum long enough to know there is a Raleigh vibe on here that tends to sway more negative than positive. My first post on this forum about 2-3 weeks ago proved that lol. I was just posting my fondness of the area ( I moved here a month ago) and somebody passively accused me of trying to push Raleigh up as if I had some type of agenda. It reeks of insecurity, and i don't know why. NC is a great state. All of its major and minor cities have something to offer. That's why the growth has been strong and consistent. All is well..
Raleigh is a good bit larger than Durham sure, it is 150 square miles. Durham is 96. There's simply more room in Raleigh. It definitely just feels like a giant suburb of it's own little downtown. Little Rock Arkansas is smaller than both Raleigh and Durham yet still feels and looks more urban than Raleigh.

And I'm not trying to hate on Raleigh...it is a great city, very clean, very safe, it's a wonderful place to raise a family! But as a single 24 year old dude I just can't do Raleigh quite yet. Maybe when I settle down with a wife and kids (if I'm still in the Triangle). I just prefer Durham to Raleigh right now...its downtown is booming and set to be the largest urban complex in the Triangle, and it's very exciting to witness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 05:54 PM

464 posts, read 523,436 times
[quote=LordHelmit;40858612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post

Raleigh is a good bit larger than Durham sure, it is 150 square miles. Durham is 96. There's simply more room in Raleigh. It definitely just feels like a giant suburb of it's own little downtown. Little Rock Arkansas is smaller than both Raleigh and Durham yet still feels and looks more urban than Raleigh.

And I'm not trying to hate on Raleigh...it is a great city, very clean, very safe, it's a wonderful place to raise a family! But as a single 24 year old dude I just can't do Raleigh quite yet. Maybe when I settle down with a wife and kids (if I'm still in the Triangle). I just prefer Durham to Raleigh right now...its downtown is booming and set to be the largest urban complex in the Triangle, and it's very exciting to witness.
Durham has a small downtown too lol. I'm 26, and live Downtown. Raleigh is booming just as much as Durham. Not only is Raleigh a great place to raise a family, its a great place to live period. Durham has to differentiate it's self from Raleigh, because nationally it has been in its shadow for a while.

Look, I get the narrative everybody wants to put out there about Raleigh on this forum because of reasons, but it's unnecessary. If Raleigh was in fact just a giant suburb, the growth downtown and surrounding areas wouldn't be nearly as huge as it is now. Raleigh is the larger city for a reason. Sure being bigger isn't always better, but when you're trying to call Raleigh a "giant suburb" and make Durham seem like it's so much more urban and foward, population difference has to come into play.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:03 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
[quote=LordHelmit;40858612]
Quote:

I love Durham as well, but it's in a completely different league compared to Raleigh. Including their downtowns. Raleigh is much larger and dense. Let's not get into raw numbers... Ninth street is nice however.

Raleigh and Durham are pretty much the same area BTW. There are parts of Raleigh in Durham county.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:35 PM

142 posts, read 175,891 times
[quote=epicene101;40859066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post

Durham has a small downtown too lol. I'm 26, and live Downtown. Raleigh is booming just as much as Durham. Not only is Raleigh a great place to raise a family, its a great place to live period. Durham has to differentiate it's self from Raleigh, because nationally it has been in its shadow for a while.

Look, I get the narrative everybody wants to put out there about Raleigh on this forum because of reasons, but it's unnecessary. If Raleigh was in fact just a giant suburb, the growth downtown and surrounding areas wouldn't be nearly as huge as it is now. Raleigh is the larger city for a reason. Sure being bigger isn't always better, but when you're trying to call Raleigh a "giant suburb" and make Durham seem like it's so much more urban and foward, population difference has to come into play.
My god. Grow some thicker skin. NO ONE IS TALKING DOWN ON RALEIGH! ... Here is a statement - Raleigh has better schools that Durham. That is not talking down to Durham. It is just a comment. Relax.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:

I've been on this forum long enough to know there is a Raleigh vibe on here that tends to sway more negative than positive. My first post on this forum about 2-3 weeks ago proved that lol.
No, no, no. You haven't been on here long enough to know anything of the sort. This is a hugely pro Raleigh board. Durham is regularly blasted as being scary and unsafe. Folks who post positive stuff about Durham do so to negate that image.

Raleigh is good. Durham is good. Of the two, I prefer Durham and there's a lot more going on down there than Ninth Street, but Raleigh is fine. Durham is sort of the picked on little brother, though, with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and something to prove because everybody always says how great Raleigh (and Cary, and Apex, and Wake Forest, and Clayton) is.

Stick around a little longer and you'll see the real trend. I've got no dog in this fight. I'm a Chapelboroan.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
No, no, no. You haven't been on here long enough to know anything of the sort. This is a hugely pro Raleigh board. Durham is regularly blasted as being scary and unsafe. Folks who post positive stuff about Durham do so to negate that image.

Raleigh is good. Durham is good. Of the two, I prefer Durham and there's a lot more going on down there than Ninth Street, but Raleigh is fine. Durham is sort of the picked on little brother, though, with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and something to prove because everybody always says how great Raleigh (and Cary, and Apex, and Wake Forest, and Clayton) is.

Stick around a little longer and you'll see the real trend. I've got no dog in this fight. I'm a Chapelboroan.
I know Durham is lambasted when it comes to crime rate. I adore Durham, and I will and would never speak negative about it. Despite what may be said about those other cities, Durham is seeing more growth and urbanization than those cities outside of Raleigh and Charlotte. It's in no way a city that needs coddling, therefore I don't understand the passive aggressive attacks on Raleigh. They're sister cities.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:34 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
I know Durham is lambasted when it comes to crime rate. I adore Durham, and I will and would never speak negative about it. Despite what may be said about those other cities, Durham is seeing more growth and urbanization than those cities outside of Raleigh and Charlotte. It's in no way a city that needs coddling, therefore I don't understand the passive aggressive attacks on Raleigh. They're sister cities.
Well, I don't really see anyone attacking Raleigh. I even said that I would totally live there once I settle down with a good woman and some kiddos But man even you must admit the singles scene in Durham is much more hoppin' than Raleigh. No need to get offended that some people prefer Durham to Raleigh! Sorry, but it really is just too much of a cookie cutter white bread suburbia for me right now. I moved to the Triangle expecting to live in Raleigh, too. But once I got here and explored the Triangle as a whole, saw that Durham fit me more. I am actually sad that my lease in Durham is up this week, I tried pretty hard to find another good deal in Durham but ended up in Carrboro..which is totally fine, i'm like right around the corner from Franklin St now haha. I did not exclude Raleigh in my search though..only cities I excluded from my search was Garner and Cary. Well, and North Raleigh.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Well, I don't really see anyone attacking Raleigh. I even said that I would totally live there once I settle down with a good woman and some kiddos But man even you must admit the singles scene in Durham is much more hoppin' than Raleigh. No need to get offended that some people prefer Durham to Raleigh! Sorry, but it really is just too much of a cookie cutter white bread suburbia for me right now. I moved to the Triangle expecting to live in Raleigh, too. But once I got here and explored the Triangle as a whole, saw that Durham fit me more. I am actually sad that my lease in Durham is up this week, I tried pretty hard to find another good deal in Durham but ended up in Carrboro..which is totally fine, i'm like right around the corner from Franklin St now haha. I did not exclude Raleigh in my search though..only cities I excluded from my search was Garner and Cary. Well, and North Raleigh.
I'm definitely not upset some prefer Durham over Raleigh, I'm more concerned with the false advertisement that comes with the package. Raleigh is just bigger all around, and people recognize that.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:50 PM

530 posts, read 637,891 times
Quote:
Ninth street is nice however.
Ninth street is perfectly fine, but I find it the least interesting area of downtown Durham. Just thinking about it I've realized I spend very little time there.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:35 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
Ninth street is perfectly fine, but I find it the least interesting area of downtown Durham. Just thinking about it I've realized I spend very little time there.
And the funny thing is that Ninth Street is the area that used to show up as the big draw in real estate ads - and not all that long ago, I saw it eight years ago when I moved here. That's how fast the downtown area has exploded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina