Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 05:38 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times

Advertisements

It seems Raleigh and Durham are being referred to as Raleigh-Durham, Like Winston Salem(although that's correct) Why is this? i know awhile back there was an article talking about development in the city of Raleigh, but instead of just Raleigh it said Raleigh-Durham like it's one city. And also Not too long ago a Cleveland show episode poked fun at this when donna said, "So hows life in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

Does the general public really just see it as one big city instead of two separate cities? because that's what iv'e taken from it. I always hear the Raleigh Durham Area or Raleigh-Durham, never Raleigh or Durham by them selves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 05:56 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
I would guess it comes from Raleigh-Durham Airport (RDU).

I grew up in Raleigh and can recall hearing the use of "Raleigh-Durham" meaning "the area" most of my life (60+ yrs). However, during my childhood and teenage years, I can hardly recall ever going to Durham, while my friends and I loved to visit Chapel Hill on Saturdays in high school and have lunch at the "Rat" (Rathskaller, sp?) among other things to do. If I remember correctly, there was a Record Bar in Chapel Hill before Raleigh got its own.

Last edited by roadpony; 08-14-2015 at 06:06 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 06:34 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
I would think most everyone with a functional brain knows that it is not one city, and if not then a quick glance at Google Maps should do the trick, but seeing this thread I can remember during the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals some media personal seemed to be confused as to which city they were in, or if it was just one city altogether. So I really don't know but I think roadpony is right, it comes from the airport and confuses people.

Now if you really want to make someones head explode, try to explain "The Triangle" and "The Research Triangle". Or how about explaining to someone that Wake Forest University is not actually located in the town of Wake Forest but rather in Winston-Salem. Sadly I've had dumb conversations with people not familiar with the area about these two issues.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:38 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
There is a thread that combines them! //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pel-hill-cary/

Old 08-14-2015, 07:35 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
This area has been referred to as "Raleigh-Durham" for a long time. As long as I can remember. "The Triangle" has come to be the more trendy way of referring to our multi-nodal metro area recently but both still work. RDU airport welcomes you to "North Carolina's Research Triangle"

Old 08-14-2015, 07:54 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Raleigh/Durham is common, but I feel like calling this area "RDU" isn't very common (I've seen this on CD).

Old 08-14-2015, 08:24 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Raleigh/Durham is common, but I feel like calling this area "RDU" isn't very common (I've seen this on CD).
Would you say that sometimes people only say one of the cities to indicate how proud they are of their area? A long time ago, before I even knew of the Triangle area, I had a "thing" with a girl and she said she was from Chapel Hill...as if it was its own place. And when people ask where I'm living, it sounds easier to just say Raleigh...because I think there's confusion when you say the Triangle.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:57 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Would you say that sometimes people only say one of the cities to indicate how proud they are of their area? A long time ago, before I even knew of the Triangle area, I had a "thing" with a girl and she said she was from Chapel Hill...as if it was its own place. And when people ask where I'm living, it sounds easier to just say Raleigh...because I think there's confusion when you say the Triangle.
Geography 101: Chapel Hill is a town in its own right. Why would anyone think otherwise? If someone is referring to one city or town, then that's what they should say. Duh!

If there is a reason to refer to the region or an area, then it's appropriate to say Triangle or whatever indicates an area that comprises more than one municipality.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:06 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Raleigh and Durham are a good 30 minutes apart. Very different cities with very different vibes IMO, with Durham having a much more urban feel. Before I moved here I did refer to it as either Raleigh-Durham or RDU, but after living here I realize this is not the way! I very rarely go to Raleigh, only to go to Walnut Creek or Red Hat really. Chapel Hill and Raleigh are 40 minutes apart. Now that being said Raleigh, Cary and Morrisville all feel and look like one big suburb. They just mesh together. Haha, in fact I work on TW Alexander in RTP/Durham, but the Food Lion 1.1 mile down the road has a Morrisville address. The Anytime Fitness in the very same complex has a Raleigh address.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:20 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
This area has been referred to as "Raleigh-Durham" for a long time. As long as I can remember. "The Triangle" has come to be the more trendy way of referring to our multi-nodal metro area recently but both still work. RDU airport welcomes you to "North Carolina's Research Triangle"
Nah, it's been the Triangle for 40 or 50 years or more. RDU is the airport. Sometimes people and magazine articles from elsewhere refer to Raleigh-Durham, but that just proves they're not NC-based. I have never heard anyone in Raleigh or in Durham say Raleigh-Durham unless they were new to the area.

And good gosh, yes, Chapel Hill is it's own place! What kinda war are you trying to start?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina