U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 03:52 PM

5 posts, read 4,008 times

Advertisements

Help Please! I am seeking relocation suggestions!

Some Background:
I was born in a small town Connecticut where I lived until I was 30. Career moved me to the City of Houston Texas, for four years. Fortunately, I escaped and headed North to Dallas Texas (smaller city at the time).

I have lived happily in Texas for 23 years. That said... I am extremely sick of Texas, and would like to move to North Carolina for retirement. My reasons are.
1) proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.
2) less hostile weather conditions.

Location Desires:
1)Hoping for a medium sized city or large town with a progressive vibe.
2)Relatively balanced racial & economic demographics.
3)Love the beach, outdoor activities, the arts and learning.
4)Craving a vibrant yet "grounded" community. I look forward to adapting and embracing a local culture (not fighting it), learning new things and remaining socially active!

Two areas already suggested to me are.

1) Greenville, NC - for it's balanced proximity between the ocean and the mountians.
2) New Bern, NC - for it's balanced proximity and its progressive vibe.

Hoping to hear positive/negative... news/ideas... from natives/transplants alike!

Thanks in advance, Stephen
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 04:04 PM

23,806 posts, read 32,193,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgy2000 View Post
Help Please! I am seeking relocation suggestions!

Some Background:
I was born in a small town Connecticut where I lived until I was 30. Career moved me to the City of Houston Texas, for four years. Fortunately, I escaped and headed North to Dallas Texas (smaller city at the time).

I have lived happily in Texas for 23 years. That said... I am extremely sick of Texas, and would like to move to North Carolina for retirement. My reasons are.
1) proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.
2) less hostile weather conditions.

Location Desires:
2)Relatively balanced racial & economic demographics.
3)Love the beach, outdoor activities, the arts and learning.
4)Craving a vibrant yet "grounded" community. I look forward to adapting and embracing a local culture (not fighting it), learning new things and remaining socially active!

Two areas already suggested to me are.

1) Greenville, NC - for it's balanced proximity between the ocean and the mountians.
2) New Bern, NC - for it's balanced proximity and its progressive vibe.

Hoping to hear positive/negative... news/ideas... from natives/transplants alike!

Thanks in advance, Stephen
How often do you expect that you'd want to go to the mountains? If it would be infrequent, Greenville, NC might work for you. There's a university there. Greenville, SC would be more balanced between ocean & mountains, but decidedly closer to mountains.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:30 PM

4,639 posts, read 5,877,943 times
You might want to post this on the Coastal NC board. I'm not sure either of your choices offer balanced economic demographics, nor frankly very progressive. Have you considered Wilmington?

Greenville, NC is nowhere near the mountains...its 5 or 6 hours from there to mountains and 2 or 2 and 1/2 hours to the ocean. Its really somewhat in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:56 PM

12,762 posts, read 24,339,168 times
Quote:
Location Desires:
I would love to help you find a community in coastal Noth Carolina, but I am clueless about the above two requirements.

1. What would be the attributes of a "progressive vibe"? The absence of Confederate flags? Lots of Democrats? Or something else?

4. "vibrant yet grounded" -- Can you give some example of what you mean?? For me, "vibrant" is the opposite of "laid-back", and people usually find the coast very "laid back".

I suspect you would be more attracted to Durham/Chapel Hill or Asheville than anything on the coast. They are the closest thing to progressive areas you will find in NC.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-15-2015 at 05:56 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 08:15 AM

12,666 posts, read 14,864,192 times
Coming from Texas I think any of the major cities in NC will be as progressive as the cities in Texas. It's not like Texas is a bastion of progressivism. Make no mistake, North Carolina is a red state.

I would not suggest Greenville NC for proximity to the mountains.

If you want to be close to the coast, Wilmington is going to be your best bet.

If you want to be close to the mountains check out Asheville or Boone.

If you want to be in between the two (which are 5 hrs apart, so not close to each other, but maybe you're used to long distances in Texas) you'd want the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) which would be the most equidistant, Charlotte which is closer to the mountains than the beaches, or the Triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) also closer to the mountains than beaches.

From Chapel Hill it takes us about 2-2.5 hrs to get to Wrightsville Beach in Wilmington and about 2.5-3 hrs to get to Boone in the mountains.

I have never heard New Bern described as progressive. That's a new one on me. It's historic and a fairly popular retirement destination.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:34 AM

Goldenage1

Thanks for your interest! For clarification...might be idealistic but.

* "progressive vibe" = Embracing the new ways of American life..ie mass transit, recycling, public park gatherings, local artists functions, digital life. Or negatively interpreted not stuck in a rut, closed minded small town thinking, refusing to grow & engage!

* vibrant yet "grounded" community. similar to above with a humble grounded community, not an exclusive society (old families - stodgy - old money ) but an "inclusive community" celebrating old traditional ways and embracing new ideas.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:52 AM

12,762 posts, read 24,339,168 times
Quote:
Goldenage1

* "progressive vibe" = Embracing the new ways of American life..ie mass transit, recycling, public park gatherings, local artists functions, digital life. Or negatively interpreted not stuck in a rut, closed minded small town thinking, refusing to grow & engage!

* vibrant yet "grounded" community. similar to above with a humble grounded community, not an exclusive society (old families - stodgy - old money ) but an "inclusive community" celebrating old traditional ways and embracing new ideas.
Those points do not describe most of eastern North Carolina at all. It is traditional, family-centered, religion-centered and slow to change. If you want to be near the ocean, you best locations are areas with many transplants like Wilmington. Jacksonville has many transplants, but they are mostly military.

I'd suggest either the Triangle, Asheville or areas further north, like Annapolis, MD.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-16-2015 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-16-2015, 10:22 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,193,611 times
Quote:
Goldenage1

If that's what you're looking for I have to ask if you've been to NC.

Have you looked at Delmarva? Maybe Rehoboth Beach?

Old 08-16-2015, 02:31 PM

Poppydog:

I will speak as a "transplant", with as much home pride as any Dallas Native...perhaps more! Dallas is an extremely progressive and modern city! In the past 19 years,

Dallas has exploded with the influx of innovations:

* A youthful and well educated population (brain drain) every one of the 50 states!
* Modern architecture
* No income tax,
* State of the art light rail transit system (90 miles - the longest light rail system in the United States),
expanded into the suburbs, which includes vintage trolley cars, the "only" new trolley car carousel West of San Francisco, modern street cars, that has set the new pace in the US. how many 20

Old 08-16-2015, 03:04 PM

Sorry for the tiny rant, I could go on and on about the progressive plus's of Dallas and the North Texas Metro Area! I love it here... with the exception of too many transplants, too may illegal immigrants, too darn hot!

My hope is to tap into a local North Carolinian with some home pride! Every city (small or large) has good and bad stuff about it! Surely there must be nice progressive areas between the Capital City and the Coast?

Its been suggested (via someone with home pride) to check out "Cameron Village" in Urban Raleigh. It sounds like the right vibe! Modern, Progressive and with-it! Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina