U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 13,893 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am new here. Currently live in Hooksett NH, witch is just north of Manchester and 30 min south of our capital Concord.

Have some ??'s I hear your state just wonderful (I have never been) (wife has been to myrtle beach) We are contimplating moving south (to get away from the winters). And think NC is far enough south but not to far....

I am a skilled Boston Massachusetts Carpenter (yes I make a hour and fifteen min. one way commute everyday). Am worried about pay scale and how to find work and what areas to look at.

An our or so from a building area would be ok, wife & I would also like to be about an hour or closer to beaches (have always been near a beach)

Next is the scary one,,, I am worried about the humidity....( I don't like it) but who does. Any one that reads this know in the north east we get our humid days.. but how does it compare to NC...????

Sorry to babble... any info is great.

Dominick.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 06:21 PM

5,661 posts, read 25,438,419 times
The average relative humidity does not vary greatly from season to season but is generally the highest in winter and lowest in spring. The lowest relative humidities are found over the southern Piedmont, where the year around average is about 65 percent. The highest are along the immediate coast, averaging around 75 percent. The least amount of actual moisture is found in the higher mountains. The lower temperatures, however, result in relative humidities that are about the same as elsewhere in the State.

In all seasons of the year, the average temperature varies more than 20 degrees Fahrenheit (° F) from the lower coast to the highest elevations.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the info mm34b.

No one else.... Seems in my reading of many threads answers on were to go is hard to come by... are natives that upset of new comers they don't want to answer questions....

Found this forum and thought it would be great on top of the research I have done, But with no answers.. comes no help.... oh well.... I'll just read old threads.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 AM

5,661 posts, read 25,438,419 times
From what I've read, Brunswick County seems to be booming in new construction, especially around Southport.

http://web.dcr.state.nc.us/documents/comops/NCDCR/countymaps/countYgifs/brunswick.gif (broken link)

Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,933 times
Cool I have a couple of answers though not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh68gto View Post
Hello all. I am new here. Currently live in Hooksett NH, witch is just north of Manchester and 30 min south of our capital Concord.
We are familiar with Hookset as we used to vacation a lot in NH, mostly up in North Conway and we used to stop at Hookset off the pike to eat and look around.

Have some ??'s I hear your state just wonderful (I have never been) (wife has been to myrtle beach) We are contimplating moving south (to get away from the winters). And think NC is far enough south but not to far....

I am a skilled Boston Massachusetts Carpenter (yes I make a hour and fifteen min. one way commute everyday). Am worried about pay scale and how to find work and what areas to look at.

Construction unions virtually are non existent here but, in the larger cities, on large projects, you could gain the prevailing wage.

An our or so from a building area would be ok, wife & I would also like to be about an hour or closer to beaches (have always been near a beach)

Were I you I would channel my search for carpentry work in the Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro and Wilmington areas and each of those places has its own sub forum in the North Carolina Forum.

Next is the scary one,,, I am worried about the humidity....( I don't like it) but who does. Any one that reads this know in the north east we get our humid days.. but how does it compare to NC...????

mm34b already answered you questions about humidity and I wouldn't be too concerned about that. It will be a lot hotter here but you won't need a snowblower

Sorry to babble... any info is great.

Dominick.
Best of luck to you!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 AM

Cool, thanks for the feed back. From that map it seems NC has a lot of rivers and lakes...??? I haven't found a map on line to give close ups like that.

I think I would like being around the Raleigh area or within a hour, but would like to be near a lake or ocean... I know can't have your cake and eat it too.

The tough part about this is to visit an check out areas, I have two Labs..

Hope the info keeps cumming.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:04 PM

14 posts, read 33,291 times
Hi nh68gto.
My wife and I are from Maine and have recently bought land in a little town called Granite Falls located next to Hickory.
I am a master plumber so am kind of in the same boat.
I think I will try going out on my own.
There seems to be a lot of new construction in that area.
The development we bought in has over 300 lots but only about 50 are built on.
Its my understanding that the area up around Boon and Lake Lure are also hot spots.
Your only draw back would be the distance to the coast.
The weather in the foothills is a lot like ours with a change of seasons but not nearly as cold and for a much shorter time.
Good Luck

Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 PM

29 posts, read 76,666 times
Hi Brian

It just so happens I grew up in NH born and raised in Portsmouth. I am a Realtor here in Clayton NC and I can tell you yes it gets very humid here in the summer End of July and August are the worst but like you stay in alot in the winter up there you can go into the AC here. A builder can do well here on his own or as a sub contractor but keep in mind they can also find cheap labor here too. I would recommend going out on your own and using the skills you have from up North to build your own business if your good you will do well. I don't know much about Granite Falls.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-29-2008 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Edited to comply with City-Data's Terms of Service

Old 01-29-2008, 08:01 PM

29 posts, read 76,666 times
Hi NH68togo
I am from Portsmouth and it is very humid here...but not for too long mostly July and August. Lots of building going on but the beaches housing market has slowed from what I hear and the Raleigh area is where its at. I am a Realtor in this area and there is a lot of building going on market is steady still and we hope to be picking back up soon. Worst part is the contingency market and the lenders are very tough right now as well so if your buying you better have good credit and a great down payment. Cheers!

Karen L

Last edited by mm34b; 01-29-2008 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Edited to comply with City-Data's Terms of Service

Old 01-31-2008, 06:27 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,548,170 times
Staying in the western half of NC (from about Greensboro westward) would be better for you if high humidity is an issue for you. You could choose the Charlotte, Greensboro/Winston Salem, Hickory, or Asheville areas (all very good areas). There are really nice areas in the east, just that it seems once you get east of Greensboro, the humidity gets higher and higher the closer you get to the coast. It really would be a good idea to come and visit some of these areas this summer, if you can, to see if it'll work for you and what area better fits what you're looking for. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina