Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,680 times

Advertisements

Background - Single female, 38 years old. Currently living in Ann Arbor, MI, but want a change. I've been looking for a house in A2 (second worst housing market in the country) and have been frustrated at what I can afford up here. I don't need to worry about a job, as I will keep my current position and work remotely. I visited Wilmington in mid-August to see if I would like the area and absolutely loved it (humidity on-par with Michigan, so not a deal breaker). I love the historic district downtown and found the many bungalow homes just what I was looking for and quite a few that were within my budget. I really liked the area around Wrightsville Avenue/21st street, not sure if there is a neighborhood name for it.

So my questions are: if I am a person that doesn't need to worry about the job market, love history, love the beach, want a town that is about the size of A2 (114,000), with a University town vibe, is Wilmington the right town for me, or should I think about other North Carolina cities? If so, which ones?

I would also like to know which areas of downtown would be best if I worry about crime. Being a single woman, I'd like to feel safe in my home.

Because I am worried about getting to know people, considering I'll be working from home and not at an office, I thought about moving to a townhouse with a community that might make it easier to meet others. I really liked the South Front Apartments. Are they any good, are there recommendations for other places? I did find several groups on Meetup.com that might help get to know other people. Does anyone have experience with those groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 02:30 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,241,183 times
If you're strictly looking at NC cities then it does indeed sound like Wilmington is your place. It isn't what I would call a college town like Ann Arbor is but UNC-W has about 13,000 undergrads. Unfortunately I can't tell you if that area you are talking about is safe or not but I can tell you the times I've been to DT Wilmington I have never felt threatened.

You mentioned you love history. Out of curiosity have you looked at Charleston SC? This is just my opinion but not only do I find Charleston to be more interesting historically, but I also think it has more of a college town vibe than Wilmington. It's also close to the beach. The population is larger than either Ann Arbor or Wilmington (130k) but not overwhelmingly so.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:22 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,379,700 times
Wilmington sounds like the best place in NC for you, given you criteria. Downtown is pretty small, so there aren't too many "areas" within it. My advice would be to live in the "middle", and avoid the edges, as they will be closer to lees desirable neighborhoods the adjoin downtown.

I don't know anything about the S. Front apartments specifically, but thats not an area I would live in, personally.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:30 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megly View Post
So my questions are: if I am a person that doesn't need to worry about the job market, love history, love the beach, want a town that is about the size of A2 (114,000), with a University town vibe, is Wilmington the right town for me, or should I think about other North Carolina cities? If so, which ones?

I would also like to know which areas of downtown would be best if I worry about crime. Being a single woman, I'd like to feel safe in my home........ I really liked the South Front Apartments. Are they any good, are there recommendations for other places?
One note: While Wilmington and Ann Arbor are similar in population, Ann Arbor has a higher median income, and is closer to a larger metro area. Wilmington is the largest city in an area that used to be rural.

As far as crime goes, all you can do is avoid some of the project housing and areas where shootings have occurred. Check some of the crime reporting sites like Spotcrime, or the local police department. The 21st and Wrightsville Ave location may be OK, but I would not assume that it is as safe as Ann Arbor. In fact, C-D crime rates are much lower for AA than for Wilmington. There are endless discussion of crime in Wilmington if you search the Coastal sub-forum.

There have been some good reports on the South Front Apartments, and they sound ideal for someone who works from home.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-06-2015 at 04:14 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 07:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
I got a chance to visit AA last year and LOVED it!

Wilmington is not nearly as much a "college town" as AA, as far as "the prevailing presence is the university". Also, UNC-W is a minor school in the UNC system, as opposed to the flagship like UM is. AA reminded me more of soprt of a cross between Durham and Chapel Hill than anywhere. But, if you like the beach, go for Wilmington since job is not an option and (most important of all) you have personally experienced it an liked it. so many people move somewhere because someone told the "Oh, you should move to ____, based on my opinion of what I think you would like" and it doesn't always happen that way.

Frankly, nowhere is AA except AA, so if you are moving anywhee hoping/expecting to find a carbon copy of what you left behind, stasy where you are. Too many disgruntled people have moved to NC because they thought they would find "everything I liked about my old place, but cheaper (etc)". It doesn't exist.

Nobody can tell you whether "Wilmington is right for you" except you, but it sounds like you like it. You can always move if it's not your cup of tea, since your job is portable, making you in a better situation than most people.

PS, there is a Coastal NC Forum more suited to Wilmington questions.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:01 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,855,619 times
South Front would be a good place to start. It has amenities, singles your age and is safe. Its very close to downtown as well.

The bungalow area you are describing is Carolina Heights and saw a dramatic change prior to the recession. Lots of houses were fixed up and the neighborhood became much more desirable than before 2000. I would call it moderately safe...there is crime there (usually property type stuff) but you just have to lock your doors and cars and be overall careful...like you would expect for any historic city neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina