Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
The problem with being socially liberal and fiscally conservative for me is, well, for example, abortion. I do not fit into the pro-life or the pro-choice camp. It is not enough for some for me to concede that it should be legal, I also need to concede that my tax dollars go to planned parenthood.
Government funding to Planned Parenthood goes to fund checkups & cancer screenings, not abortions. Why does it not surprise me that you would begrudge cancer screenings to the poor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 01:00 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Until we have a viable third (or fourth) party, then its the system we've got. Personally, I'd much prefer a european style system with 4, 5 or 6 parties having to work together to form a coalition in order to govern.

In the meantime, Phil Berger and his friends in the state senate scare the crap out of me, so I will be rooting against them, to use your sports analogy.
Based on your posting history we are very much aligned on most issues. So I agree about being stuck rooting against certain politicians/parties - it's part of the broken system.

Bring back the Green Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
The Republican's primary base, the Tea Party, will not tolerate a fiscal conservative who is liberal/moderate on social issues. A couple of Republicans in this country since 2010 have been pushed out of their own party through primary challenges. It's less true for Democrats, as there are plenty of Blue Dog/Dixiecrats still in their ranks, including their base in more rural states (a la Kim Davis). I also see this being a huge wall in the nearby future, as the country is becoming more socially liberal and less religious/theocratic. Plenty of people in this country still support fiscal policies, but the breaking line for many is when government dictates what or what you can't do in your personal life (including from a party that supports "small government")...
I think you're wrong that the TP makes up the primary base. They scream the loudest, for sure - and in many cases they are so well funded it feels that way. But if you were right, the TP darlings like Cruz and Huckabee would be viable candidates - when we know they are raving lunatics who stand zero chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
We're called Libertarians. Welcome to the club.
I consider myself Libertarian, but no true Libertarian candidate ever materizlizes... I have no true choice because of this. The Paul(s) may be close, but even they have to tone it down to even consider making a dent in a primary.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:11 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Government funding to Planned Parenthood goes to fund checkups & cancer screenings, not abortions. Why does it not surprise me that you would begrudge cancer screenings to the poor?
This is the perfect example of disinformation that works when you pound the drum long enough. Like "selling limbs from aborted fetus'". It's hilarious.

Life begins at inception and needs to be protected by law. But when these babies grow up in abject poverty, with little to no education, they're lazy garbage for using foodstamps or any public assistance. Above all we should take away their access to healthcare so we can pay out of our pockets when they walk into an emergency room. and let's not forget we have to incarcerate them for the most inane reason so we all pay to put them behind bars, feed them, and give them access to worse criminals so they learn more about committing worse crimes.

The hypocrisy is insane.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:32 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
Quote:
Southbound, let me ask you. If your brother was a heroin addict, you certainly wouldn't give him money to buy heroin. Would you help pay his rent though freeing up money to spend on heroin?

If Planned Parenthood is in the cancer screening business, the cancer screening department needs to fire their marketing people: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/ I'm sure they bury that service.

But you are right the poor need cancer screenings and they are far more likely to hold off checkup than those with means. I'd be 100% for funding "planned cancerhood" for low income screenings. But I don't likie the PP shell game.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Life begins at inception and needs to be protected by law.
I presume you mean CONception...

Quote:
But when these babies grow up in abject poverty, with little to no education, they're lazy garbage for using foodstamps or any public assistance. Above all we should take away their access to healthcare so we can pay out of our pockets when they walk into an emergency room. and let's not forget we have to incarcerate them for the most inane reason so we all pay to put them behind bars, feed them, and give them access to worse criminals so they learn more about committing worse crimes.
You just said you consider yourself Libertarian, yet both of these ideas are anti-Libertarian in philosophy; one is Right-wing Republican and one is Left-wing Democrat.

And this thread is off-the-rails onto the Planned Parenthood train, no longer related to the NCGA.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Southbound, let me ask you. If your brother was a heroin addict, you certainly wouldn't give him money to buy heroin. Would you help pay his rent though freeing up money to spend on heroin?

If Planned Parenthood is in the cancer screening business, the cancer screening department needs to fire their marketing people: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/ I'm sure they bury that service.

But you are right the poor need cancer screenings and they are far more likely to hold off checkup than those with means. I'd be 100% for funding "planned cancerhood" for low income screenings. But I don't likie the PP shell game.
If I had a brother, & if he was a heroin addict, I have him put into a program to clean him up. There would be no money that could be put into dope. That said, you have been listening to the right wing "news" too long, The abortion money & the state money do not mingle. It's two separate pots. I'm sure that you're pleased as punch that the general assembly defunded Planned Parenthood. Nothing says "drop dead" to a woman more than that, no matter what her means are.

Can you say War on Women? I sure can.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is the perfect example of disinformation that works when you pound the drum long enough. Like "selling limbs from aborted fetus'". It's hilarious.

Life begins at inception and needs to be protected by law. But when these babies grow up in abject poverty, with little to no education, they're lazy garbage for using foodstamps or any public assistance. Above all we should take away their access to healthcare so we can pay out of our pockets when they walk into an emergency room. and let's not forget we have to incarcerate them for the most inane reason so we all pay to put them behind bars, feed them, and give them access to worse criminals so they learn more about committing worse crimes.

The hypocrisy is insane.
The fact that people who I assume are intelligent believe this crap is definite testimony that if someone repeats it enough, people do start to believe it.

It's really hilarious that the same people who scream the loudest about abortion make it plain & clear that they hate the result of not having the abortion & now some of them want to go after birth control.

I'm old enough to have had meaningful conversations with women who had &/or lost friends to back alley abortions.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:18 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
Quote:
If I had a brother, & if he was a heroin addict, I have him put into a program to clean him up. There would be no money that could be put into dope. That said, you have been listening to the right wing "news" too long, The abortion money & the state money do not mingle. It's two separate pots. I'm sure that you're pleased as punch that the general assembly defunded Planned Parenthood. Nothing says "drop dead" to a woman more than that, no matter what her means are.

Can you say War on Women? I sure can.

Is it a war on women? Can poor men get these cancer screening that PP makes not mention of on their website? Or do they not work on poor men's junk?

Old 09-14-2015, 05:52 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Well, we have a budget. Some significant concessions from Berger, too:

"House and Senate Republican leaders unveiled a long-awaited budget compromise Monday that eliminates controversial cuts while cutting income taxes and expanding sales taxes. The $21.74 billion spending plan would restore funding for teacher assistants, driver’s education, historic preservation tax credits and a tax deduction for medical expenses – items that had been on the chopping block this year.

The bill also includes cuts to personal income tax rates and additional sales taxes on services that aren’t currently taxed. Overall, House Speaker Tim Moore said the changes will result in $400 million in “tax relief.”"

Read more here: Education items, some tax credits restored in budget compromise | News & Observer

No mention of incentives for economic development, though.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Well, we have a budget. Some significant concessions from Berger, too:

"House and Senate Republican leaders unveiled a long-awaited budget compromise Monday that eliminates controversial cuts while cutting income taxes and expanding sales taxes. The $21.74 billion spending plan would restore funding for teacher assistants, driver’s education, historic preservation tax credits and a tax deduction for medical expenses – items that had been on the chopping block this year.

The bill also includes cuts to personal income tax rates and additional sales taxes on services that aren’t currently taxed. Overall, House Speaker Tim Moore said the changes will result in $400 million in “tax relief.”"

Read more here: Education items, some tax credits restored in budget compromise | News & Observer

No mention of incentives for economic development, though.
Moore must have had to eat the economic development incentives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina