Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:55 AM

25 posts, read 27,546 times

Advertisements

So I live in MD but have a potential job interview lined up in Greensboro for next week. The last post I saw about these regions was for awhile ago, so I figured I would give this a shot to see if there's updated info. I am trying to determine if Greensboro is a good family area since I would be driving 5 hours for an interview, I'd hate to waste my time if it's an obvious bad fit.

-Where you are working - Working on S. Green Street in the 27402 zip code
-How much you are willing to spend on housing- Looking to spend under 150K, but preferably in the 100-130K range for a 3+ bed, 2+ bath.
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - I would prefer to remain within a half an hour of my job.. may be willing to do slightly more if we're talking about a better school district.
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? - Public school. This is important for us because we have two children-- one toddler and an infant!
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - We definitely don't want to be in the city. We are OK with suburbia. My husband would like more land or a bigger yard, but I am not so picky if the house is the right fit for us. We are looking for move-in ready but aren't afraid of a bit of cosmetic work.
-Community amenities important to you - We don't need a TON of activities... but it would be nice if we didn't have to travel a huge distance to go grocery shopping, etc (basic needs). Our biggest issues are the schools and housing prices. We live in a very high cost of living area and while I may take a pay cut living in NC, we are hoping to be a bit more comfortable than here!

Thank you for any advice that you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:10 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Greensboro. Both Greensboro and Raleigh fit almost all your criteria except one. It would be very hard to find a nice house in the size you want for under $200k in Raleigh. You could possibly find one farther out in possibly Clayton or Zebulon etc.. but it would be challenging. Have you looked at the price of houses online? Compare the two cities. It's been years since I've lived in Greensboro but prices then we're cheaper and I assume they still are. Honestly I think your price of $150k is going to be a start rather then the end on either location.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:54 AM

Thank you for your reply! I have found some homes in both.... but it did look like there were more lower price options near greensboro. That's one reason I was wondering if the schools were OK there or not.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:57 AM

Also, does it make a difference if we were looking to move closer to Cary than Raleigh itself? Essentially, looking at either Greensboro area or somewhere within the Wake County School District.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:58 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Lots of current threads on Greensboro in the Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point Board:

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...est-areas.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...reensboro.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...oro-chime.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...urbs-area.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...nderrated.html

Its a wonderful place to live and raise a family.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethansmommy16 View Post
Also, does it make a difference if we were looking to move closer to Cary than Raleigh itself? Essentially, looking at either Greensboro area or somewhere within the Wake County School District.
Raleigh is located an hour and a half from Greensboro. Not a reasonable commute.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Raleigh is located an hour and a half from Greensboro. Not a reasonable commute.
Sorry I should have been more specific! Those are the two areas we are looking at... so I wasn't sure if I should go to this interview or skip it and wait for an opportunity closed to Wake County

Old 09-10-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Thank you!

Old 09-10-2015, 08:14 AM

Does anyone by some miracle work for Guilford County? Their HR rep told me that the pay was negotiable depending on experience..... (I have slightly more experience than what is listed in the job posting). Pay is for almost 36K. I need 40K to move. Wonderinf if it's worth it for me to go...

Does anyone have experience with this as far as negotiating with this county? I am afraid of making a 5 hour drive for no reason!

Old 09-10-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethansmommy16 View Post
Sorry I should have been more specific! Those are the two areas we are looking at... so I wasn't sure if I should go to this interview or skip it and wait for an opportunity closed to Wake County
Gotcha. Cary is just as expensive as Raleigh. The entire Triangle area (the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill metropolitan area) is more expensive than the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point Metro).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina