Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2006, 08:03 AM

20 posts, read 50,760 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move back to NC next year. We lived there in 2001 while we were in the military. Needless, to say... Fayetteville is not an option for us. We used to go to Raleigh quite a bit while stationed there, but never did any house searching. Because of his occupation he can get a job whereever we decide to live. He's a Surveyor, and I will be finished with Medical Assistant school when we move.

Both of these areas appeal to us, and I figured I'd come to the "experts" for help. I doubt we will live in the actual city limits. We have a big family and need a home that has room for our kids to get out and run around. We plan on renting for at least a year so we can get an idea of the area before we decide to buy a home and get stuck somewhere we don't like. After spending the last 12 years moving around due to our military obligations, we are both tired of moving, and so are our children. Right now, we live in the Northern VA area, but this is just temporary.

If you live in any of these areas, what made you decide to move there? Of course we want an area that is not high in crime, good schools, and my two personal requirements...a Walmart and Target have to be in the close vicinity..LOL! Is there another city you recommend?

TIA for all the responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 08:33 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,172 times
There are a lot of great towns in the Raleigh area - Cary, Apex, Clayton... I think you may want to take a look at Wake Forest as well. There is a brand new Super Walmart, Super Target, Lowes, Home Depot, and others, but you still get a good small-town feel, with a historic Main Street that has some great mom-and-pop stores. There are plenty of rental opportunities anywhere you decide, pm me for specifics.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:51 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
I live in the Charlotte area and love it here. Don't plan on ever leaving. A few areas worth looking at would be Concord, Mooresville, and Ft. Mill. All have very good schools, low crime, low housing prices, and good freeway access to Charlotte and all there is to do there. LOTS of recreational assets. Good luck in your search!!!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I live in the Charlotte area and love it here. Don't plan on ever leaving. A few areas worth looking at would be Concord, Mooresville, and Ft. Mill. All have very good schools, low crime, low housing prices, and good freeway access to Charlotte and all there is to do there. LOTS of recreational assets. Good luck in your search!!!

I've been doing a lot of research in the Charlotte area, and Concord has been the top of my list. Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 11-16-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnewbie View Post
I've been doing a lot of research in the Charlotte area, and Concord has been the top of my list. Thanks for the recommendation!
Yes, I live here in Concord and love it!!!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:40 PM

27 posts, read 72,929 times
Question same problems?

is the Charlotte area having the same problems that the Raleigh area (wake county) is having? are the schools overcrowded in Charlotte also? friendnc, do you have any children or know some one that have kids in schools in Charlotte, Mooresville, Marvin and/or Ft Mill? any comments...

Old 11-17-2006, 10:26 AM

Charlotte does have some covercrowding issues, but it seems to be mainly in the northern part of Mecklinburg County in the Lake Norman area. There's a lot of juggling trying to balance all of that out. But any time you have high growth anywhere, this is what you have to deal with. The area systems that seem to be handling it better than average are Cabarrus County (I home school our sones, but my wife teaches here), Iredell County, and York County (have neice/nephew there). The schools in Union County are very good, but I've always wondered how they control the growth of the schools when they have one of the highest population growth rates in the nation, yet have no interstate and most roads are two lanes each way. Don't take me wrong, it's a great county and a lot of people seem to love living there. It's just a lot of people in one half of the county that's expoding with growth.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:24 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
We have to give the CMS some slack though. The school overcrowding is hard to deal with but schools cannot be built over night. My son's Elementary school opened under capacity this year. I live in Cornelius.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:19 PM

Bumping up in hopes of some more replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina