Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 AM

93 posts, read 326,502 times

Advertisements

I saw this in yet another post recently.

Can someone explain the origin and/or meaning of this term in relation to Fayetteville?

Is it meant to be an ethnic slur due to a high Vietnamese population? Or does it refer to a high concentration of Vietnam vets in the Fayetteville area?

Or is there another meaning I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
A) Lots of military personnel in Fayetteville
B) Lots of ex-military personnel in Fayetteville
C) Lots of military-related business establishments in Fayetteville
D) Not a whole lot else in Fayetteville to establish an identity...
E) "Fayettenam" is a pretty funny portmanteau, given that the word "Vietnam" is often associated with warzones, and that Fayetteville is not an aesthetically pleasing area, in my opinion.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
My understanding is that the term came about as a result of the several hundred thousand troops that rotated through Fort Bragg for training prior to deployment to Vietnam, and the corresponding effect it had on the flavor of the city and the publicity the city received from anti-war protestors.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Per Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Vietnam Era was a time of change in the Fayetteville area. Fort Bragg did not send many large units to Vietnam, but from 1966 to 1970, more than 200,000 soldiers trained at the post before leaving for the war. The effect of such a large troop rotation was dramatic and remnants of this era are still visible in much of Fayetteville. Anti-war protests in Fayetteville drew national attention because of the proximity to Fort Bragg, in a city that generally supported the war. Jane Fonda came to Fayetteville to participate in three anti-war events. Because of these changes in the 1960s and 70s, nicknames like 'Fayettenam' caught on and are still in popular use today.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:34 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
^ ding ding ding, winner.

It's not a racial/ethic slur at all. It's just a "fun" way of associating Fayetteville with it's ever present military to this day. Think no more/less about it.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
^ ding ding ding, winner.

It's not a racial/ethic slur at all. It's just a "fun" way of associating Fayetteville with it's ever present military to this day. Think no more/less about it.
Right. The term goes back to the 1970s, when "war" meant "Vietnam". Nowadays, it might be called "Fayettistan"

Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaring View Post
I saw this in yet another post recently.

Can someone explain the origin and/or meaning of this term in relation to Fayetteville?

Is it meant to be an ethnic slur due to a high Vietnamese population? Or does it refer to a high concentration of Vietnam vets in the Fayetteville area?

Or is there another meaning I'm missing?
When I lived at Ft. Bragg in the late 1970s it referred to the fact that there was a lot of violence being purpetrated by the military that was living on base. Lots of fights, shootings, etc., between the military and the locals. It also referred to a very high crime rate at that time, particularly crime against the miliatary by the residents. It was literally a "battle zone".

That was a long time ago and the term may have morphed since then. When I lived there, there were no Vietnamese residents in town (we had just ended the war there only a few years earlier).

20yrsinBranson
20yrsinBranson

Old 10-23-2009, 08:22 AM

93 posts, read 326,502 times
Thumbs down Interesting, but it's still a slur...

Okay, so:
  • the prevalence of a military community mixed with
  • a lack of other culture and
  • the association with a war that ended nearly 40 years ago
justfy a negative nickname?

Ft. Bragg is one of the world's largest military organizations. Should we penalize the city of Fayetteville unfairly for being next door? Or should we be grateful to the good citizens of that city for supporting the defense of freedom?

Yes, Jane Fonda made headlines. She had a right to protest the war, and the vets that came home from that war deserve fair treatment. Our world is not black and white. The people of Fayetteville did not cause or perpetuate the Vietnam war, or any of the other conflicts since.

I lived in Fayetteville from 1971-1985. We led an ordinary suburban existence with swim lessons, neighborhood halloween parades, school events, Scouts. We participated in community theater, orchestra, volunteer opportunities. There was no lack of culture for our ordinary family. Yes, the turnover rate in our schools was high...kids moved in and out a lot, which I'm sure made for an educational challenge. A lot of those kids led very interesting lives and made friends quickly and were an asset to the community. Their parents were my role models. Frankly, I felt safer knowing that those parents were watching over us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When I lived at Ft. Bragg in the late 1970s it referred to the fact that there was a lot of violence being purpetrated by the military that was living on base. Lots of fights, shootings, etc., between the military and the locals. It also referred to a very high crime rate at that time, particularly crime against the miliatary by the residents. It was literally a "battle zone".20yrsinBranson
20yrsinBranson
To characterize the town as "...literally a 'battle zone'" is utterly ridiculous. I never encountered any IEDs there, has anyone else?

I was never aware of any local v. military violence. We never even locked our doors at night. Teenage girls learned to be cautious of young GIs on Friday nights at Cross Creek Mall, lessons that have served me well since. The enlisted certainly caused some trouble...and I'm sure their aesthetic tastes are reflected in the strip clubs and bars you'll find on Bragg Boulevard. The solution to that is simple. Don't drive on Bragg Boulevard (easy if you know how!) Perhaps we should consider recruiting a better class of enlisted personnel just to improve the cultural climate of military towns. He who did not volunteer probably shouldn't cast stones!

This clever turn of phrase (portmanteau? really?) just isn't worth the risk of offending people of Vietmamese heritage or those who serve our country in the military, or those who choose to live in Fayetteville.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:08 AM

123 posts, read 503,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When I lived at Ft. Bragg in the late 1970s it referred to the fact that there was a lot of violence being purpetrated by the military that was living on base. Lots of fights, shootings, etc., between the military and the locals. It also referred to a very high crime rate at that time, particularly crime against the miliatary by the residents. It was literally a "battle zone".

That was a long time ago and the term may have morphed since then. When I lived there, there were no Vietnamese residents in town (we had just ended the war there only a few years earlier).

20yrsinBranson
20yrsinBranson

Bingo, we got a winner right here!!!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,282 times
I think you are way over-analyzing things here...my husband who was in the military and now as a civilian and having to work there ocassionally, still calls it that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina