Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times

Advertisements

Now playing in NC: Superb teachers leave, best students avoid profession | News & Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 11:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
It seems to make money, they will most likely need to teach in a high tax, high cost of living state.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tate-by-state/

Old 11-01-2015, 01:48 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
All state jobs with the exception of politically connected ones have low wages and lousy benefits.

This is a right to work for less state.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:04 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times
well maybe all the exiting school teachers will fill a void left in the Northeast by workers fleeing high taxes, high cost-of-living and lousy quality of life. I'm sure any teacher that is willing to relocate and put up with what everyone else is fleeing will see a nice bump in their paychecks if that is what they are looking for .... just hope it's worth it in the long run.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:56 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
well maybe all the exiting school teachers will fill a void left in the Northeast by workers fleeing high taxes, high cost-of-living and lousy quality of life. I'm sure any teacher that is willing to relocate and put up with what everyone else is fleeing will see a nice bump in their paychecks if that is what they are looking for .... just hope it's worth it in the long run.
Problem is, the people staying behind in those states are .... teachers and other civil servants/union members who have the benefits that are driving up the taxes...sooooo

I know several teachers who have left profession altogether, but the only ones I know who moved did so because their spouse got a job somewhere else. I think if any of them move simply for more money, they will realize they are disenchanted with the profession as a whole (for good reason) and that's it's simply same **** different place and the minimal amount of raise they get doesn't make a difference.

If these people are honest it isn't just about the money. It's about what expected for the money.

And - the ones I know who left were awesome teachers. One was a teacher of the year finalist.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:15 AM

613 posts, read 746,516 times
More propaganda by the N&O. Monks earn more? Really. Two teachers can't buy a house? My eldest just did with much less $ than two teachers make.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:30 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
It does drive home the point that parental involvement is 50% of the equation in developing strong students. Also that many places (Wake County?) count too much on teachers being passionate about teaching to make up for their poor pay. It appears difficult to be financially comfortable in our area when the highest earner in a two-earner family is a public school teacher.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:44 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
In NYC, hospitals sometimes have apartments at subsidized rates for staff.

Helps retention too. Quit and you must move.

Would be nice for civil servants here.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
it's an Op Ed from Asheville. the teachers that he notes that have left his school system, that's not on the state of NC. That's on the very school board he's a member of to do something about.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:56 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
P I think if any of them move simply for more money, they will realize they are disenchanted with the profession as a whole (for good reason) and that's it's simply same **** different place and the minimal amount of raise they get doesn't make a difference.

If these people are honest it isn't just about the money. It's about what expected for the money.

And - the ones I know who left were awesome teachers. One was a teacher of the year finalist.
In many part of North Carolina, it wouldn't be hard to imagine that the caliber of students is abysmal. Teachers have to face a disruptive, apathetic, even violent student body on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina