Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 03:42 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times

Advertisements

A suggestion which has been on this forum many times.

Have a job first before you move.

I transferred with the company I had worked for.

It could take you a while (6 months) to find a job depending on your field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 06:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
800-950 can get really tight for a 3br place. Might not leave you in the best of areas. Also expect to provide proof of employment when applying to rent.

I, and many others, would encourage you to carefully think about this move before committing to it. I take it you've never been to either city and are operating on stuff you have been told by NYC friends (who move here in droves and many complain constantly) and are being told on C-D.

You really need to pay a visit to both places. You may decide you don't like either.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:26 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndelis View Post
-Where you are working : looking for employment in NC

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: $800-900 for 3 bdrm apt or Townhome

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: up to 30 minute

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? 3 kids - Public Schools - HS /Middle /Elementary

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city
excitement? suburbia delight? City feel with an suburbia delight

-Community amenities important to you: Gym, playground
I found several homes for rent in Rock Hill, SC that meets your needs and wants. Rock Hill is located about 20 mins south of Charlotte. You could easily work in south Charlotte and commute daily (however, Rock Hill is big enough that you might find work there). Rock Hill is to Charlotte what Sanford, Fl is to Orlando if that helps.

The other added benefit of Rock Hill is that it's located in South Carolina (fyi, the NC/SC stateline runs along the southern edge of Charlotte's city limits). Residents of Charlotte's SC suburbs enjoy much cheaper gasoline, lower crime rates, cheaper sales taxes, and no annual vehicle inspections. It's no secret why York County SC (Rock Hill's county) is metro Charlotte's 2nd most populated county.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:01 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I found several homes for rent in Rock Hill, SC that meets your needs and wants. Rock Hill is located about 20 mins south of Charlotte. You could easily work in south Charlotte and commute daily (however, Rock Hill is big enough that you might find work there). Rock Hill is to Charlotte what Sanford, Fl is to Orlando if that helps.

The other added benefit of Rock Hill is that it's located in South Carolina (fyi, the NC/SC stateline runs along the southern edge of Charlotte's city limits). Residents of Charlotte's SC suburbs enjoy much cheaper gasoline, lower crime rates, cheaper sales taxes, and no annual vehicle inspections. It's no secret why York County SC (Rock Hill's county) is metro Charlotte's 2nd most populated county.
Hmm. Sales tax in Charlotte is 7.25%, versus 7% in Rock Hill. Not much of a difference. Most of the surrounding NC counties are 7% or less. Property taxes and state income taxes are less in NC. Crime rates in NC are often less...Concord's crime rate is less than Rock Hill's, for example. Some of the adjacent counties to Charlotte in NC are growing faster than York County...Union for example.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:13 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Hmm. Sales tax in Charlotte is 7.25%, versus 7% in Rock Hill. Not much of a difference. Most of the surrounding NC counties are 7% or less. Property taxes and state income taxes are less in NC. Crime rates in NC are often less...Concord's crime rate is less than Rock Hill's, for example. Some of the adjacent counties to Charlotte in NC are growing faster than York County...Union for example.
Concord and Union county are out of the op's price range. Fort Mill is a bit too expensive as well. Gaston and York (Rock Hill not Fort Mill) seems to fit best, and I'd choose York over Gaston personally. Also, at 8.5% vs 8.6% growth rates, York and Union are about dead-even since the 2010 census. This decade, people are now discovering that York is the better package deal.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Concord and Union county are out of the op's price range. Fort Mill is a bit too expensive as well. Gaston and York (Rock Hill not Fort Mill) seems to fit best, and I'd choose York over Gaston personally. Also, at 8.5% vs 8.6% growth rates, York and Union are about dead-even since the 2010 census. This decade, people are now discovering that York is the better package deal.
I wasn't making any suggestions for the OP, merely pointing out many of your "factual" statements were anything but.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:41 AM

123 posts, read 241,173 times
I lived in both cities, and still visit each fairly often. They feel completely different, not to get too wordy I will sum it up. Raleigh is very sprawling, different areas of town are so opposite each other. You would probably like Holly Springs area for cost of living and type of jobs you do. I really liked Raleigh, of the 6 places I have lived as an adult it would rank #1.

Charlotte is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. I had a good job and income while I was there and felt poor. All people talk about there is how much their house is worth and what kind of car they are getting, shopping at South Park Mall is so awesome, etc. Charlotte is my #5th place of 6, the only place I like less is where I am now: in Greenville, SC. SC is terrible for so many reasons. Would move back to NC in a heartbeat but can't sell my house in SC because very few have jobs that can qualify for a house that's more than $200K here (if they can even find a job).

Old 11-17-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw75 View Post
I lived in both cities, and still visit each fairly often. They feel completely different, not to get too wordy I will sum it up. Raleigh is very sprawling, different areas of town are so opposite each other. You would probably like Holly Springs area for cost of living and type of jobs you do. I really liked Raleigh, of the 6 places I have lived as an adult it would rank #1.

Charlotte is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. I had a good job and income while I was there and felt poor. All people talk about there is how much their house is worth and what kind of car they are getting, shopping at South Park Mall is so awesome, etc. Charlotte is my #5th place of 6, the only place I like less is where I am now: in Greenville, SC. SC is terrible for so many reasons. Would move back to NC in a heartbeat but can't sell my house in SC because very few have jobs that can qualify for a house that's more than $200K here (if they can even find a job).
I lived in Charlotte for 8 years and never met anyone like that.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:55 AM

123 posts, read 241,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I lived in Charlotte for 8 years and never met anyone like that.
You must not have lived in the Ballantyne area like I did with friends all along Providence Rd into uptown.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw75 View Post
You must not have lived in the Ballantyne area like I did with friends all along Providence Rd into uptown.
Lived in Uptown, Southend and Southpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina