Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,756 times

Advertisements

So I know that to get married you need to get your marriage license first which costs $60 and you need your SSN card, birth certificate, and valid ID for that and then it is valid for 60 days and within the 60 days you need to do the ceremony and the officiant and two witnesses at the ceremony sign as well as you and your significant other and the officiant sends it back to the place you go your marriage licenses. Part I need to know is: 1 Where do you go to have a civil marriage ceremony? 2 Can you do it the same day you get your marriage licenses since there's no wait period in NC? 3 How much does it cost for a civil marriage ceremony? (I'm religious fiance is not and wedding ceremonies cost way too much) 4 After the ceremony do you need to go back to the marriage license office to get your marriage certificate or does it get mailed to you? 5 How long does this take? 6 Do you need to schedule and appointment for civil ceremony or can you just walk in like you can for the marriage license? 7 I'm about to move so is there a county requirement or just make sure you go to the same office? Moving from Davidson County to Cabbarus County or Mecklenburg (still looking for a rental) so addresses help. Info rather than websites that just constantly redirect me would help to. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 05:08 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Call the courthouse and ask your questions, they should be able to give you the correct information.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Call the Register of Deeds office in the county you want to marry. They issue marriage licenses and can explain the process for obtaining a license, and for having a civil ceremony. Magistrates perform the actual marriage. Here is the information for the Cabarrus County magistrates office:

Address: 30 Corban Avenue SE, Concord, NC 28025
Civil Ceremony Fee: $20.00 Cash
Phone Number: 704-262-5519

Here is the magistrate contact info. for Davidson County:

To contact the Civil Magistrate in Davidson County, you may call:
(336) 242-6895

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 11-12-2015 at 06:58 PM..

Old 11-13-2015, 02:44 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
I know that on the day same-sex marriages became legal, people who had been waiting all day for the decision to come down were able to get their licenses and get married right then and there, at the Courthouse. Some talked of the pain of having to stand in line all day and watch while opposite-sex couples just breezed right up to the counter and got their licenses or got married.

You might need to call to make sure there is someone there to perform the ceremony, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina