U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:16 AM

5,265 posts, read 15,440,214 times

Advertisements

Its just as the OP said; different strokes for different folks. I just moved back to Upstate NY after almost 13 years in NC. I liked NC, but it just didn't feel like home and, IMO, isn't all its cracked up to be. Others disagree. Some people would be happier in NC than NY...some wouldn't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 11:20 AM

2,975 posts, read 6,816,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupkrazy View Post
They all say the same thing, the spring and summer are much longer and they can enjoy the out doors a lot more which make quality of life better.
And it isn't just the spring and summer. Today New York City will be in the 40s. It will be in the 60s here. We get a lot of beautiful, mild days (or warmer) in the winter here.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:22 AM

5,265 posts, read 15,440,214 times
I don't think i've heard anyone say they prefer summer in NC to summer in the north....They'd have to be into some intense heat.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,779,015 times
I grew up in the south and have always lived here. I think that I would enjoy living in the North East. The reason I don't move is money. In my current role, there are numerous places throughout the US that I can work. The position pays the same no matter where I live. For me, the choice is obvious. I live where the cost of living is less.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:56 AM

502 posts, read 1,632,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Two words: weather and taxes.....
Agree... we are moving down in a month from NY (Albany area)

Weather - 7 degrees warmer on average in summer vs. 17 degrees warmer on average in winter... nice trade
Taxes - $2500/year vs. $8000/year, and Albany is on the low end of taxes for NY/NJ

And here are some others...

People are actually nice to you
Closer to a beach where you will actually want to go in the water
For me... closer to family
More house for less money
Sweet tea is a given!!!

NY is a beautiful state, but its brutally cold for much of the year. If you enjoy skiing, snow mobiling, etc, then its great. I hate the cold and we just hibernate every year. I'm looking forward to enjoying most of the year, not just trying to survive until April.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:52 PM

29 posts, read 86,184 times
Thank you guys for all of your responses, very helpful!!

Old 02-02-2008, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 19,023 times
i never been in the States , am willing to come to Raleigh as immigrant. i've made some online searches about all the points u would think about when u move to anew place.. and i made the compare between NY,NJ,NC,CA..
well ..i guess am convienced about NC as asafe place, cheap renting comparing to the rest.. low taxes relatively, suitable weather, good culture & friendley people.. i used alot of survies for that..
the only bad thing IS. i'll be new in there and acctualy will strongley need a trusted friend to guid me ..lol
if any 1can give a hand please pm me..!

Old 02-02-2008, 03:17 PM

9,680 posts, read 25,225,672 times
We loved our rent stabilized Manhattan apt.

Moved for a better job. Apts no longer stabilized, rent $4K per month.

No way we could go back w/o a Powerball jackpot.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:40 PM

828 posts, read 2,159,125 times
Basically, if you have the money, you can live an extremely comfortable life in NY. But it takes oodles of cash. I do miss all my doormen and the concierge desk, not driving, the sheer convienience of everything... But I don't miss what I paid for those things.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 PM

106 posts, read 484,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Two words: weather and taxes.....
absolutely right on the "nose"...I'm in ny and trying to get this house sold..tired of paying high ny taxes and the weather ..well it 's just too cold and lasts too long. anyone want to buy a house in upstate ny has full in law. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina