U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2006, 08:55 PM

4 posts, read 14,398 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am interviewing for a job in Fayetteville. I am non-military, single, and have no children. I am from the NY/NJ/PA area. What can you tell me about Fayetteville?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 09:30 PM

653 posts, read 2,867,262 times
Contrary to what may have already been posted on this board, Fayetteville is not a "bad" place to live. My parents have been there for almost 20 years, and the city has really changed. The downtown has experienced a great revival - take a walk down Hay Street, and you wouldn't recognize it from 10 years ago. Go to fayettevillenc.com to get a feel for what's there.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:31 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,427,117 times
Buy a gun!! Just kidding. The times I spent there were pretty boring. Especially if the military are on duty somewhere. Mind you I just stayed at the hotel. Maybe someone else will chime in that has spent more than just a few nights there.

Good luck on the interview!

Old 11-17-2006, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 14,398 times
I have read horrible things about Fayetteville. I hope it is not nearly as bad as people portray it. I will be spending a few days there while interviewing, so I will have some time to explore.

I am not the excitement type. I live 30 minutes from NYC but you will rarely (if ever) find me there. I am willing to commute about 30 minutes and a suburban feel would be fine. I would proabaly rent for starters. I did read that downtown has been revived.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,078,800 times
I practically grew up in Fayetteville and did live there for awhile. (A couple years total.) Most of both of my parents' families live there (they always have) and I spent summers and holidays there every year growing up. I still go back a few times a year.

I personally think Fayetteville is an ugly town and it's way too hectic and crowded for its size. Especially on the weekends when folks who live in smaller surrounding towns go to Fayetteville to shop, dine and do whatever it is they do. I personally would never want to live there. But obviously some people like it there.

Go check it out. You may find it to your liking.

I wish you all the best.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:15 AM

20 posts, read 48,530 times
I lived there from 01-03 while we were in the military. There wasn't much of anything to do. We always went to Raleigh to go shopping. According to the younger soldiers, there wasn't much of a night life there. Oh, and I heard the Fayetteville females were trash and hoochies trying to find a military man. If you get a job there, I'd suggest living out of the city.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:36 AM

110 posts, read 379,508 times
I was in Fayetteville yesterday. Ive only been there a few times, but it seem to have some bad traffic, and was sprawled out pretty bad. CarMax over here, Red Lobster right next to it, a mile or two down the road another dealership. However, as I traveled out of the city it got rather rural and there were some developments being built...

Old 11-19-2006, 07:29 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,637,721 times
My brother-in-law was in the military there with his family and they hated it. When we visited, we weren't impressed either for some of the same reasons listed above (crime, boring, bland looking, oppresive heat/humidity). I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere where one of the better comments about the area was, "it's not really all that bad". I hate saying stuff like this about one of our cities, but I'd hate to see someone go to all of the trouble/expense of moving there and realizing it was a mistake. True, you could go there and love it, but it would be a big risk. Was there a specific reason you wanted to go there, like family? I'd HIGHLY suggest visiting there for a weekend to look for yourself. I'd also check out the Asheville or Wilmington areas if you want a small area, or the Charlotte, Greensboro, or Raleigh areas if you'd like somethng bigger. Good luck in your search!!!

Old 11-19-2006, 07:54 AM

1,185 posts, read 3,493,987 times
Check out the thread about worst towns.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:08 PM

576 posts, read 1,446,173 times
I currently live in Fayetteville and can tell you that in my 8 years here, things seem to be improving. The downtown has been revitalized and many new housing developments are being built. There are many independent shops and restaurants opening downtown and it feels very artsy. The downside for me, is that it is a very busy town with lots of traffic and not very peaceful. Fort Bragg has planes and helicopters flying overhead almost nigthly and there is the sound of artillary fairly often. The schools are not very good. My husband and I hope to move once we can find the right jobs. If you are a single male, you will face alot of competition but that being said, I met my husband and he is non-military and I have a graduate degree. So we bucked the trend and I am sure there are others like us. Goodluck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina