Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:56 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Wow

What a petty thing to say
And untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 08:59 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Why should Raleigh use any city in NC as a benchmark? When it's growth is still incredible? Let Charlotte continually try...Raleigh would never lol .
Just to be clear to you, the only poster in this thread who has dumped on a NC city is you, Ace. You have consistently dumped on Charlotte & posters who normally post on the Charlotte board.

If you think that no one in city government in Raleigh has looked at any other city & said they did ______ well but _________________ was a an epic fail, you are deluding yourself.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:33 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
I feel Raleigh is more similar to the triad as we have Durham and chapel hill and many other mid sized cities just as the triad . But the similarities end there for me. Charlotte and Raleigh are also pretty different to me. Raleigh has always felt more suburban and spread out and Charlotte a lot more urban and gritty. Also the way the cities are growing is different. Charlotte is beginning to densify more than sprawl and Raleigh is too but not nearly as much as charlotte, The future of population growth in the triangle will be wake forest/rolesville and Knightdale area in wake county and some of that will trickle over to here in Zebulon and Wendell and also Durham looks like it will boom on a similar scale as Raleigh. Raleigh charlotte and the triad are not all that similar and that's what attracts people to this state.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:46 PM

571 posts, read 715,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Thats why its often called the Great State of Mecklenburg.
And I have long thought Charlotte should change its name to Mecklenburg. I don't mean to sound sexist, but when I think of major cities, I think of strong-sounding names: Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Chicago, Boston, Washington, New York. Mecklenburg has that same strong sound. There are some exceptions like Miami and Honolulu, which have exotic-sounding names. But a woman's name for a big, brash, growing city on the rise just seems odd to my ear. A name change could happen in phases, the way John Cougar changed his professional name back to his real name, going from John Cougar to John Cougar Mellencamp, then finally John Mellencamp. So Charlotte >> Charlotte-Mecklenburg >> Mecklenburg.

Okay ladies, you can bash me now for this comment.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The Triangle feels more "east coast" like Richmond or Columbia.
Columbia???

Old 02-19-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
And I have long thought Charlotte should change its name to Mecklenburg. I don't mean to sound sexist, but when I think of major cities, I think of strong-sounding names: Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Chicago, Boston, Washington, New York. Mecklenburg has that same strong sound. There are some exceptions like Miami and Honolulu, which have exotic-sounding names. But a woman's name for a big, brash, growing city on the rise just seems odd to my ear. A name change could happen in phases, the way John Cougar changed his professional name back to his real name, going from John Cougar to John Cougar Mellencamp, then finally John Mellencamp. So Charlotte >> Charlotte-Mecklenburg >> Mecklenburg.

Okay ladies, you can bash me now for this comment.
Aside from the fact that Atlanta is a feminine name also, this is pretty silly.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Aside from the fact that Atlanta is a feminine name also, this is pretty silly.
Atalanta is feminine, Atlanta is not.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Atalanta is feminine, Atlanta is not.
A city is neither feminine nor masculine. The point made was about the name.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:47 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
Quote:
Columbia???
Did I really say that? Okay, I take that back.

The Triangle still feels a bit East Coast-ish like the Richmond area and Northern VA, though. Charlotte, not so much.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:24 AM

261 posts, read 380,538 times
The Triangle is much more like the Triad than Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina