Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 PM

461 posts, read 332,960 times

Advertisements

Wife stated that she wouldn't mind moving back to NC. Up until now we were moving to Va so I was a bit surprised. We lived in Franklin,NC for 2 years and we loved it. Little smaller than I personally prefer but I never wanted to leave and could have been happy there for rest of my life. Anyways.

We want a family friendly,progressive town as far as improving and updating and bringing new stuff to town,
It MUST have great schools
Prefer somewhere with good shopping choices or within 30 miles of large shopping options such as Asheville etc.
We really would prefer to stay in or near the mountains

Wife has mentioned Waynesville and I like it been there several times,also like Sylva.

She is in the medical field,I am a stay at home dad...she would be going for her nursing degree relatively soon so higher education needs to be nearby.

Wanted to add it NEEDS to have a decent economy right now. I will probably return to the workforce sooner than later and want options..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 05:09 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,375,458 times
You're going to have a hard time finding everything you're looking for in western NC. For what you're looking for, there really is no "Asheville, etc.", there is just Asheville. And the job situation there isn't that great. Wages are fairly low, housing costs are fairly high.

Winston-Salem would be my recommendation. Its relatively close to the mountains, has 2 large medical centers, a decent overall economy, a nursing school and is affordable.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:52 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
Wife stated that she wouldn't mind moving back to NC. Up until now we were moving to Va so I was a bit surprised. We lived in Franklin,NC for 2 years and we loved it. Little smaller than I personally prefer but I never wanted to leave and could have been happy there for rest of my life. Anyways.

We want a family friendly,progressive town as far as improving and updating and bringing new stuff to town,
It MUST have great schools
Prefer somewhere with good shopping choices or within 30 miles of large shopping options such as Asheville etc.
We really would prefer to stay in or near the mountains

I am So waiting for someone sometime to post "Mediocre schools okay".

Old 12-12-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I am So waiting for someone sometime to post "Mediocre schools okay".
LOL. We have a son in special ed for behavior and he needs a great school with veteran teachers capable of dealing with a child like him.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You're going to have a hard time finding everything you're looking for in western NC. For what you're looking for, there really is no "Asheville, etc.", there is just Asheville. And the job situation there isn't that great. Wages are fairly low, housing costs are fairly high.

Winston-Salem would be my recommendation. Its relatively close to the mountains, has 2 large medical centers, a decent overall economy, a nursing school and is affordable.
What about Waynesville,Black Mountain,Boone?

Old 12-12-2015, 12:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Watauga County (Boone) schools usually get excellent scores on those year end tests. Don't know about the economy and nursing opportunities there.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:44 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Watauga County (Boone) schools usually get excellent scores on those year end tests. Don't know about the economy and nursing opportunities there.
Their schools are very large, I believe there is only one high school in the entire county. Boone's economy is fueled by Appalachian State and the tourism industry due to it's location. The biggest hospital in that area is 30 minutes outside of Boone in Wilkesboro.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:04 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,722,628 times
Education is about 50% kid, 30% parents, 10% peers, and 10% schools.

People looking for "great schools" must be trying to compensate for 80% of the deal!

Old 12-12-2015, 01:46 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Their schools are very large, I believe there is only one high school in the entire county. Boone's economy is fueled by Appalachian State and the tourism industry due to it's location. The biggest hospital in that area is 30 minutes outside of Boone in Wilkesboro.
I guess it depends on what you consider large.

http://wataugasd.schoolfusion.us/mod...6a844edd82c3bc

Watagua Medical Center is a hospital in Boone. It's not huge, but it's a hospital. https://www.apprhs.org/locations/loc...medical-center The Wilkes hospital is not much, if any, bigger. For more specialized care Winston-Salem has excellent medical facilities.

Watauga Medical Center in Boone, NC | US News Best Hospitals

Old 12-12-2015, 02:26 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,375,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
What about Waynesville,Black Mountain,Boone?
Black Mountain is very small. I doubt there are any jobs there, but is 20 to 30 minutes from Asheville. Waynesville is small. There is a small hospital about 10 minutes from there, and Asheville is 30 to 40 minutes away. If your wife can find a job there paying enough, and doesn't mind driving to Western Carolina Univ. for nursing school (30 minutes), then it could work. No idea how the schools are in either place, but I doubt they are great.

Boone has a small hospital and is the home of Appalachian State Univ., which has a nursing school. No idea about the quality of schools...maybe the presence of App State makes the schools good?

Your employment opportunities will be limited anywhere outside of Asheville, and fairly limited there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina