Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 04:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
As we predicted here, Wegman's move into the DC and NoVA market was just the initial step toward expanding toward NC. Once they moved into Richmond, the writing was on the wall. Now, the question is where do they go from the Triangle? Will they go halfway to Winston-Salem or Greensboro, or leapfrog down to Charlotte?
The story is that the Cary store is the first and that they are looking at locations in both Raleigh and south Durham. The story I read didn't say where in Raleigh but they were more specific on Durham. Given that the first story in Cary is to Raleigh's west/southwest, my guess is that the Raleigh location will be in north Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 05:02 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
There is a thread in the Raleigh forum already.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:39 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
There is a thread in the Raleigh forum already.
We know. It's also being discussed in a grocery thread on the Charlotte board. There's a Wegmans thread on the York & Lancaster County SC board & it's also under discussion on the Greenville/Spartanburg board as well. Lots of people are interested. This thread is flagging it to everyone else in the state. But thanks for telling us.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:01 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
My brother who does commute work in a new store in Richmond VA was raving about it.
I was surprised on your post mention only 88 stores as I figure it was a bigger chain (Harris Teeter has 230). Must be like Ikea of grocery stores.
With seven stores in Virginia currently, hopefully, this opening in Cary a sign more stores coming to NC and a distribution center.

Currently, the closest Wegman distribution center is in Pennsylvania, but I could see them logistically opening one in Petersburg.
Hopefully, they use local companies for the daily staples as that almost a day of food sitting in a truck.

I'm glad to hopefully slow this Publix invasion. I think Publix are meh and would choose Harris Teeter or Food Lion for produce,
Have to disagree with you, especially when it comes to produce, though similar to HT publix has bogo items on every single aisle and their prepared foods in my opinion are better. In regards to Wegmans, the moment I saw the article I went strait to CD to see multiple threads open about it. It will be about 10 minutes from me so I'm waiting to see what people have been hyping up for years.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:45 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times
I don't get it tho. Why the triangle area and not Charlotte. You would think they would want to try a larger market. I take it since its closer to them?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:47 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
I don't get it tho. Why the triangle area and not Charlotte. You would think they would want to try a larger market. I take it since its closer to them?
Exactly. Raleigh is much closer to Richmond and the rest of Virginia.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:49 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Precisely. The Triangle is much closer to its existing stores in the DC and Richmond areas and is part of their longterm plan to expand in the Mid-Atlantic region. Likewise, it is closer to its distribution center. As such, they might even expand to the Triad before going to Charlotte.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Precisely. The Triangle is much closer to its existing stores in the DC and Richmond areas and is part of their longterm plan to expand in the Mid-Atlantic region. Likewise, it is closer to its distribution center. As such, they might even expand to the Triad before going to Charlotte.
Expanding to the Triad before Charlotte would make sense logically. That said, someone posted on the grocery thread on the Charlotte board that plans exist for a shopping center that includes an 85K sq ft grocery store. Check to see if there is an unusually large grocery store proposed in the Triad.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:18 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Well, funny you should mention that. There is a mixed use Ballpark development in downtown Winston-Salem (Brookstown) that has a mystery grocery store. Everyone is speculating, wondering if it is going to be a Lowe's, Publix, or Harris Teeter. Some had even dared to think it could be a Wegman's.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Well, funny you should mention that. There is a mixed use Ballpark development in downtown Winston-Salem (Brookstown) that has a mystery grocery store. Everyone is speculating, wondering if it is going to be a Lowe's, Publix, or Harris Teeter. Some had even dared to think it could be a Wegman's.
Check to see if the size is given. I have an 85K sq ft Ingles in my town. Lately they've been building 72K sq ft. However, if you can find a size that could help to narrow it down. The fact is that a very large grocery store can only be Wegmans or Ingles unless it gets to 120K sq ft because Ingles & Wegmans do go up to that size but Kroger does marketplace stores that size. Now that doesn't mean that Kroger might not push Harris Teeter into building a supercenter size store too. You can eliminate chains if you know the size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina