Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 04:27 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,242 times

Advertisements

There is good living in enc most here can't fathom it because they can only imagine Target and nice malls

In many ways I wish I was back home in bladen. The towns are hurting but there isn't extreme wealth and even with a basic job everyone could live in a nice size house with s big yard. I can't even step foot in Elizabethtown without seeing someone I know. A very classic, Americana, experience not found here that's for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 07:52 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,412,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
There is good living in enc most here can't fathom it because they can only imagine Target and nice malls

In many ways I wish I was back home in bladen. The towns are hurting but there isn't extreme wealth and even with a basic job everyone could live in a nice size house with s big yard. I can't even step foot in Elizabethtown without seeing someone I know. A very classic, Americana, experience not found here that's for sure
that’s why I laugh at “development “ target is hardly some sort of progress. Also shhhh don’t hype up Bladen county there’s a ton of developers on here who might swoop down. Just check coastal NC some guy from way up yonder is looking at the obscure unknown town of Washington ( obscure and unknown outside of NC) to develop. I see it all the time, some developer from far away buys some land in obscure NC . Carpetbaggers

Old 02-06-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
that’s why I laugh at “development “ target is hardly some sort of progress.
i think in some ways we're the deprived ones stuck in the rat race

Old 02-06-2019, 03:11 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Nothing good about poverty wherever it is.

Quite true.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:00 PM

6,126 posts, read 4,614,901 times
Quote:

I'm not sure where "here" is for you now but I figure it's a place with close access to all of those modern amenities and would guess it's a pretty busy and congested corner of the state.

But I agree with you about Elizabethtown. I've never lived there but I used to travel through there pretty frequently and can't begin to tell you how many good samaritan experiences I had with the locals. An example of a place that may not look so good on paper with significant poverty issues but it does look great in person if only for the phenomenally helpful and generally unhurried attitudes of the locals (though I personally think the town has some deep charm in its appearance as well).

Last edited by Jowel; 02-06-2019 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 04:29 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,412,207 times
Quote:
i think in some ways we're the deprived ones stuck in the rat race
Id agree very much with this... these two songs reflect how I feel. One was actually introduced to me by another forum member here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8sh9P3X33w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbSpWxO_Hbc

Old 02-06-2019, 09:49 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,479,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancepickell View Post
Sandhills are most definitely eastern NC
The Sandhills consist of part or all of Cumberland, Harnett, Hoke, Lee, Moore, Richmond, and Scotland Counties.

I would say the Sandhills is about evenly split between the Coastal Plain and the Piedmont as I do not consider Moore, Scotland, or Richmond Continues to be ‘out east’.

As a matter of fact, if one draws a line going straight north from Robeson County (an eastern county) on the map, you would actually end up going through Durham or Orange County.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:10 AM

Sandhills go about as far as Sanford

Old 02-07-2019, 10:00 AM

3,663 posts, read 3,943,896 times
I also wanted to mention for those who don't know about the "Hightiders".

These are people living in small towns around the Pamilico and Albemarle Sounds and isolated parts of the Outer Banks that still speak with remnants of middle English continued since our nation's founding.

It's hard to understand what they're saying, and I experienced this about 30 years ago while clamming in the small town of Atlantic, which is East of Morehead City.

Not every square mile can flourish and often the gain of the metro areas is also the loss of the rural ones.

There is so much history and some classy living in all small towns in NC. My niece lives in Edenton, NC which makes Louisburg look like bustling town, but Edenton is absolutely gorgeous.

I think living near water (that's not man-made) is the ultimate in good living (though I live in Atlanta-5 hours from the beach).

There is a phenomenon of "suction" I've noticed around growing cities that just beyond the periphery of the metro you encounter the exact opposite types of people, tastes, etc.

North Georgia outside of the metro's exurbs full of people who are KUN-TRY!.

Rolesville (edge of Wake County) has a little of this lingering from people whose tastes in fashion were worse than in Louisburg as recently as a few years ago.

So perhaps, this is happening as you move inland from the expensive coast.

I don't have a problem with it, and I suggest that everyone stop and go in the local Piggly Wiggly and take in the fast-disappearing quaintness of a country that soon will be nothing but Ross, PetSmart, etc.

On a drive to a family reunion in Suffolk, VA my Dad would point out the remnants of old saw mills along man-made canals beside rivers such as the Roanoke and tell me about how that facilitated trade with England by transporting raw materials in the country's early days.

I need to tape record some of his knowledge because it's interesting but getting lost with time.

The only alternative to the poverty for all isolated areas is abandoning them which would be worse. All land is cherished and used and loved by at least one family.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:38 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,497,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I also wanted to mention for those who don't know about the "Hightiders".

These are people living in small towns around the Pamilico and Albemarle Sounds and isolated parts of the Outer Banks that still speak with remnants of middle English continued since our nation's founding.

It's hard to understand what they're saying, and I experienced this about 30 years ago while clamming in the small town of Atlantic, which is East of Morehead City.

Not every square mile can flourish and often the gain of the metro areas is also the loss of the rural ones.

There is so much history and some classy living in all small towns in NC. My niece lives in Edenton, NC which makes Louisburg look like bustling town, but Edenton is absolutely gorgeous.

I think living near water (that's not man-made) is the ultimate in good living (though I live in Atlanta-5 hours from the beach).

There is a phenomenon of "suction" I've noticed around growing cities that just beyond the periphery of the metro you encounter the exact opposite types of people, tastes, etc.

North Georgia outside of the metro's exurbs full of people who are KUN-TRY!.

Rolesville (edge of Wake County) has a little of this lingering from people whose tastes in fashion were worse than in Louisburg as recently as a few years ago.

So perhaps, this is happening as you move inland from the expensive coast.

I don't have a problem with it, and I suggest that everyone stop and go in the local Piggly Wiggly and take in the fast-disappearing quaintness of a country that soon will be nothing but Ross, PetSmart, etc.

On a drive to a family reunion in Suffolk, VA my Dad would point out the remnants of old saw mills along man-made canals beside rivers such as the Roanoke and tell me about how that facilitated trade with England by transporting raw materials in the country's early days.

I need to tape record some of his knowledge because it's interesting but getting lost with time.

The only alternative to the poverty for all isolated areas is abandoning them which would be worse. All land is cherished and used and loved by at least one family.
Yeah when most people talk of poverty in Eastern NC it’s about the inner coastal areas. The coast itself, the towns on the water and such are beautiful. Once you get inland from the coast then there isn’t much to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina