U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2008, 07:07 PM
 
44 posts, read 146,436 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

I am a 23 yr old recent graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration. I am from New Orleans, Louisiana, (The place I call the a**hole of the country). Since I am now fed up with the worst crime, public schools, real estate market, politician and corruption, low paying jobs, and the threat of a hurricane destroying everything you work for; I have decided to move to North Carolina. I have visited Charlotte and Raleigh. Both cities I have fell in love with. I leave this thread up to the citizens of this great state. Raleigh Vs. Charlotte. What city is better for me? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2008, 07:12 PM
 
9,678 posts, read 28,067,205 times
Reputation: 10047
Here is a link to a bunch of posts that compare these two cities:

Raleigh and Charlotte differences
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
 
9,680 posts, read 25,158,341 times
Reputation: 4150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola2212 View Post
I am a 23 yr old recent graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration. I am from New Orleans, Louisiana, (The place I call the a**hole of the country). Since I am now fed up with the worst crime, public schools, real estate market, politician and corruption, low paying jobs, and the threat of a hurricane destroying everything you work for; I have decided to move to North Carolina. I have visited Charlotte and Raleigh. Both cities I have fell in love with. I leave this thread up to the citizens of this great state. Raleigh Vs. Charlotte. What city is better for me? Thanks.
I used to live there and got out in 1989. I agree with your review of NOLA.

The new LA governor seems to offer some hope, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
 
44 posts, read 146,436 times
Reputation: 25
Yes Bobby Jindal is the start that Louisiana needs, but I will be an old man before any real change happens. Decades of corruption takes a long time to be washed away. I wanna city that captures the fun and nightlife of New Orleans without being worried if I will be shot and mugged every night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 AM
 
237 posts, read 871,561 times
Reputation: 71
Default raleigh

I did alot of research and charlotte has alot more crime and raleigh is closer to the ocean Both are better than NO tell the goverment who is spending 9 billion a month to clean thee own country first.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
648 posts, read 2,811,568 times
Reputation: 312
Ah, the eternal question.

Someone who has lived in both cities relatively recently, and can see them objectively, should write a comprehensive post comparing and contrasting these two relocation Meccas. If it's good enough, make it a sticky.

As someone who has lived in Charlotte and almost lived in Raleigh (and thus did lots of research), I suppose I could give it a stab. Maybe if I can find the time. Until then if someone else would like to give it a shot...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 06:01 PM
 
4,127 posts, read 10,586,813 times
Reputation: 1941
It really depends. We chose Raleigh to live because we had friends there, but when it came down to it, Charlotte was better for my husband's job.

In fact, he interviewed in Raleigh and they called back and said, "We really feel you are better suited for the Charlotte position." So, we ended up moving to Charlotte instead.

Dawn
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
68 posts, read 264,836 times
Reputation: 38
Raleigh Area:

Has less Crime.
Better educational institutions.
More of a suburban feel.
More college sports options.
Less public transit options.

Charlotte:

Hub Airport(You can fly direct almost anywhere in the continental US and major airports in the carribbean, mexico and eastern canada.)
More densely populated than Raleigh area.
More crime.
More professional sports options.
Way more public transit options.
Way more traffic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2008, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Apex, NC
3,126 posts, read 7,776,064 times
Reputation: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastoniaNative View Post
Raleigh Area:

Has less Crime.
Better educational institutions.
More of a suburban feel.
More college sports options.
Less public transit options.

Charlotte:

Hub Airport(You can fly direct almost anywhere in the continental US and major airports in the carribbean, mexico and eastern canada.)
More densely populated than Raleigh area.
More crime.
More professional sports options.
Way more public transit options.
Way more traffic.

Pretty accurate, but Raleigh (2,635.6 Per Sq. mile) is actually slightly more densely poulated than Charlotte (2,310.7 per sq. mile). Charlotte is a bigger area that is more spread out than Raleigh. Traffic is worse in Charlotte, but not "way more" worse. Also, don't kid yourself about public Transit...both areas are pretty bad when it comes to that. Charlotte has a small light rail option, but that is real small beans to what they really need and what Raleigh would really need too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2008, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,929,598 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Pretty accurate, but Raleigh (2,635.6 Per Sq. mile) is actually slightly more densely poulated than Charlotte (2,310.7 per sq. mile). Charlotte is a bigger area that is more spread out than Raleigh. Traffic is worse in Charlotte, but not "way more" worse. Also, don't kid yourself about public Transit...both areas are pretty bad when it comes to that. Charlotte has a small light rail option, but that is real small beans to what they really need and what Raleigh would really need too.
YES Charlotte only has 1 (SOUTH) Light Rail Line...but plans for several more lines. Charlotte is already planning the NORTH Line. Charlotte is way ahead of Raleigh in that aspect. Raleigh is just in the planning stages...it will be years. Traffic in Charlotte is much worse than Raleigh. Double the people...double the traffic.

Raleigh is a nice place to raise a family with not much to do...but is a NICE city!

Charlotte is a nice place for young single professionals with alot to do.

Having lived in both...I prefer Charlotte...hands down.

I would suggest she visit both and then decide!

Coming from New Orleans and being Urban...Raleigh doesn't offer anything like what you are looking for but visit and then decide for yourself. Don't listen to me or anyone and you can't go wrong!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top