Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,893 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wifes parents are living in Pinehurst and I think she is missing them alot. We have visited them a bunch of time and really love the area. My wife is a RN and could get a job easily in the area but I don't think I could find a job to easily. I have a manufacturing engineering background particularly in the bar coding industry which easily transfers into many fields. Just curious of what kind of jobs/industries might be close to the Pinehurst area and what kind of commute would I be looking at?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 01:21 AM

9 posts, read 27,931 times
Smile There are many industries in the area

There's still pretty many industries in the area. Especially in a commuting radius of 45 minutes or so (you decide).

I settled 35 minutes south in mill city of Rockingham, NC (which was fairly prosperous for a hundred+ years until the last 10 or so when industries moved overseas). I used to work in the Pinehurst area some & in South Carolina.

I'm job hunting now (tired of self employment) & see how lots of industries need good maintenance people to keep their infrastructure maintained. While maintenance is basically my trade, I've almost no experience in plants & no certifications or licenses to prove my 28 years worth of on the job skills.

Factory-type industries are some of the largest employers in the sandhill region I'd say, other than healthcare, schools, prisons, etc. (our traditional textile processing plants, manufactured housing, plastics, paper, who know what else.) With you engineering background you should (I think) be able to land a good job after patient looking. The State itself is a desirable employer & they run a nice Employment Services division to help anyone find a job in either public or private employment.

NC is a nice state overall with the mountains & beaches. Most of the state is wooded with large lovely tall hardwoods similar to lush Virginia, KY, TN, etc.

South eastern third of the state is Coastal Plains which include the Sandhills region (edge of some ancient sea), of which Pinehurts is highest elevation. Much of South Carolina shares the somewhat less attractive, sandy soil, scrubby pines & oaks 'look' of the south eastern NC Sandhills. It has a definite beauty of it's own as best expressed in Pinehurst area.

NC has many historic areas & attractions. I like the State but I was born & raised here 44 years ago. My parents, from Columbus & Cincinnatti don't want to return to their previous home.

NC believes in giving lots of benefits to it's citizens but you pay for it in taxes, more so than SC. It's a fairly progressive state with the first State University system in the USA. Also a good state run community college system.

Handyman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina