Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 PM

68 posts, read 38,018 times

Advertisements

Every time I think this state has hit rock bottom in terms of direction, the NCGA surprises me - this time in the form of eliminating health insurance coverage for spouses.

As someone who has been proud to work for the state for years, these last few have been so especially disheartening. My wife is self-employed and is on my state insurance plan. It's not like it's a freebie - our annual contribution is a signficant portion of my salary...now they want to eliminate spouse coverage and force us to go on the farce of an exchange that the NCGA screwed us over with.

I know it's not a done deal, but the writing is clearly on the wall. I just don't know about this state anymore.

State Health Plan board could remove option popular with workers :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 06:05 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
The state of NC has bent over backwards to make sure ACA can't work in this state. Out of spite, nonetheless.

Furthermore, this legislative body is passing laws left and right that erode the rights of the community at large for the benefit of the already privileged.

One can only hope the electorate is tired of this nonsense...

Old 02-01-2016, 07:02 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
Hard to get businesses to relocate here when the government is destroying public education along with running all the would be teachers out of the state.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:42 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
One can only hope the electorate is tired of this nonsense...

Not likely. All the pub candidates have to do is shout about guns, "turrism", and freedom, and the lemmings will vote for them despite everything else that really matters.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:12 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
Don't dismiss the Marketplace entirely. I know several people for whom it has proven to be very valuable, myself included.

I am eligible for the marketplace because I work for a county govt, but only part time. My premiums exceeded the allowable expense based on my income. (I would have paid 25% of my monthly income for premiums. I think the cap is 19%, but I'm not sure). So I switched to a marketplace policy. It's a GOOD policy, better, really than the county employee policy.

My premiums are $330 per month. (I'm not married)

Because I work two part time jobs and have a crappy income, I receive a subsidy and only pay a portion of that. I'm not sure how the subsidy is calculated. It adjusts as income changes. That is only temporary for me as I am eligible for promotion to full time. I anticipate I'll be back on the county plan within a few months.

The fact that NC does not participate in the Marketplace doesn't mean the marketplace won't work. It still works. There was some challenge involved in applying because my income was so low at the time, i was told I had to apply for NC Medicaid. Those applications are backed up for months. Needless to say, I was never able to talk to anyone at NC medicaid about this. So I went back to the Marketplace, increased my 'anticipated' income, and qualified for a policy. But other than that, it was a smooth process.

In fact, if the state goes through with this plan, and employees find better insurance for their spouses, won't that bode well for the future of the Marketplace and ACA? They may be inadvertently supporting the Marketplace by doing this.

So is the $330 (as a ballpark, YMMV) competitive with what you are currently paying?

Old 02-02-2016, 10:27 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,304 times
This seems so ridiculous to me. I'm usually one of the ones praising the state for the employee benefits offered and this is enough to turn me the other way. One of the best parts about working for the state gov is that, despite the much, much, much lower pay than comparables in the private sector, the benefits at least in some way made up for that.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:08 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
This seems so ridiculous to me. I'm usually one of the ones praising the state for the employee benefits offered and this is enough to turn me the other way. One of the best parts about working for the state gov is that, despite the much, much, much lower pay than comparables in the private sector, the benefits at least in some way made up for that.
right state employees will lose bennies to be more 'flexible' and 'like the private sector'

and the pay wont go up

Old 02-02-2016, 11:55 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,897,466 times
This is the way most companies are going now. The ACA is having lots and lots of unintended consequences, which is usually the case in even the best laid plans.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
I am hoping it will, like many of the cuts to state benefits, only apply to new employees after XX date, and current ones will be grandfathered in? That's how they did the retirement health coverage which you used to get after 5 years, now bumped to 20 (10 for half price). OTOH, there are plenty of other insurance-related things that apply immediately to all.

<dead horse>

And they wonder why they can't get skilled people to want to work for the state of NC...

</dead horse>

Old 02-02-2016, 05:47 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
This is the way most companies are going now. The ACA is having lots and lots of unintended consequences, which is usually the case in even the best laid plans.
That's true. More and more companies are doing this. Of course, the "rule of thumb" with State jobs has always been the pay is lower than private sector, but the benefits are better, so it's close to a balance. If they take the benefits away without increasing salaries, how will they get worthwhile employees to stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina