Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:28 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,595 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Durham, NC and my parents are planning a visit. My mom says (not sure where she got this information) that there are supposed to be beaches with pine trees in NC? I looked online and can't really seem to find anything. Does anyone know what she could possibly be referring to? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 10:04 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,424 times
i think she might be conflating our coastal plain region with the beach itself

Eastern NC is heavily pine forested

this isn't to say they're wont be places that are undeveloped where pine trees grow up pretty close.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:13 AM

261 posts, read 380,227 times
I'm not aware of any beach in NC has has trees growing on the beach strand, but there are several places where trees are growing just landward of the dune. Several such areas exist on the Outer Banks, portions of Ft. Fisher State Park near Carolina Beach, Bald Head Island, and others. You can use Google Maps to get a better look at some of these areas.

Some of this may be of interest to you:

"Only one good example of Maritime Deciduous Forest remains at Nags Head Woods in Dare
County; an additional example occurs in nearby Kitty Hawk Woods.**Maritime Evergreen Forest
is found throughout the barrier islands and good examples can be found at Buxton Woods,
Theodore Roosevelt State Natural Area on Bogue Banks, and Bald Head Island.**Maritime Shrub
is found throughout the barrier islands, but good examples are rare.**Some examples exist at
Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Shackleford and Core Banks, Bear Island in Onslow County,
Fort Macon State Park, Bogue Banks, and Fort Fisher."

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/...ime_forest.pdf

and:

Bald Head Island Maritime Forest Preserve - Bald Head Association

Old 03-07-2016, 10:18 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,236 times
Botany Bay near Edisto has an eroding beach where trees now sit in the surf... Don't think they're pines though.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Botany Bay near Edisto has an eroding beach where trees now sit in the surf... Don't think they're pines though.
I believe Edisto is in South Carolina, no?

Old 03-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
I believe Edisto is in South Carolina, no?
Yes, Edisto is STILL in SC. Has been as long as I can remember.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Check out Carolina Beach State Park. The beach itself is next to Cape Fear River with the ocean about two miles.
The park allows camping and the river beach is line with Long Leaf Pine (the state tree) There is also other state symbols there like the Venus Fly Trap.
You can also check out Oak Island

Old 03-07-2016, 12:20 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,065 times
Maybe Croatan National Forest? It's not exactly a perfect beachy spot, but does border the Neuse River, Bogue Sound, etc and has some beach-like areas and it also has pine trees, though not exactly pine trees ON the beach.

Or Cedar Island? It's is similar to Croatan and close by to it, though it's not exactly beachy either and it's a wildlife refuge, but there is the pine+shore thing going on there too.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Yes, Edisto is STILL in SC. Has been as long as I can remember.
Oh, ok, cool. The OP's request was for NC beaches. Has been since she posted it.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
Oh, ok, cool. The OP's request was for NC beaches. Has been since she posted it.
Touché.

I suppose your own well-meaning, though slightly tangential information regarding the authenticity of the Maritime Evergreen Forests at Buxton Woods, was a more appropriate meander. I apologize for offending your sense of order.

But have you ever heard of any other beach with trees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina