U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,208 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating at the end of the month with a master's degree in psychology, and am currently looking for a job as a mental health therapist at an entry level. I have looked up many organization websites, and it looks like they all want someone who is licensed and has a couple years of post-graduate experience. I will be applying for licensure as soon as I finish my degree requirements, but that will still take time. Does anyone have any ideas of any organizations in NC that might accept someone right out of school?

Also, I am currently in KY moving back home to VA until I find a job.

I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 PM

635 posts, read 1,475,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsana View Post
I will be graduating at the end of the month with a master's degree in psychology, and am currently looking for a job as a mental health therapist at an entry level. I have looked up many organization websites, and it looks like they all want someone who is licensed and has a couple years of post-graduate experience. I will be applying for licensure as soon as I finish my degree requirements, but that will still take time. Does anyone have any ideas of any organizations in NC that might accept someone right out of school?

Also, I am currently in KY moving back home to VA until I find a job.

I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!
First of all....CONGRATULATIONS!!! I graduate in May with my Bachelor's in Psychology. I got an answer on an earlier post...that places will hire you but at a lower level until you get your licensure or in my case QMHP. They suggested to me...call these places and see if they will hire you and then, of course increase salary or change positions once requirements are met. So you may have to take a pay cut at first...but I was amazed at all the jobs for Mental Health Professionals in NC. Try it! I think you'll have a job, just not at the $$$ you want until you get your license...plus while your working you'll get experience and may even find a better job once you get that license.

I am relocating to NC in June...so I have really been doing my homework on the job market there. Some require me to have my Bachelors w/or w/o experience (will influence starting salary). Some require more experience but I was told I can get a job and get my 2 years experience while I'm working in the field (earning my QMHP).

Old 03-05-2008, 04:07 PM

45 posts, read 97,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
First of all....CONGRATULATIONS!!! I graduate in May with my Bachelor's in Psychology. I got an answer on an earlier post...that places will hire you but at a lower level until you get your licensure or in my case QMHP. They suggested to me...call these places and see if they will hire you and then, of course increase salary or change positions once requirements are met. So you may have to take a pay cut at first...but I was amazed at all the jobs for Mental Health Professionals in NC. Try it! I think you'll have a job, just not at the $$$ you want until you get your license...plus while your working you'll get experience and may even find a better job once you get that license.

I am relocating to NC in June...so I have really been doing my homework on the job market there. Some require me to have my Bachelors w/or w/o experience (will influence starting salary). Some require more experience but I was told I can get a job and get my 2 years experience while I'm working in the field (earning my QMHP).
Hi
Just stumbled onto your thread. I am a clinical social worker with 12 years experience and will be looking to relocate in the next year or so. Where did you start to look for mental health jobs in the area? I am moving to the Raleigh area. Thanks!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 AM

635 posts, read 1,475,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellySR View Post
Hi
Just stumbled onto your thread. I am a clinical social worker with 12 years experience and will be looking to relocate in the next year or so. Where did you start to look for mental health jobs in the area? I am moving to the Raleigh area. Thanks!!!
One tip I got from these posts was "craigslist" this site posts jobs for every state. Another, just entering searches...such as "Department of Mental Health, NC." Since your moving to Raleigh...you could do "Social Work jobs in Raleigh, NC" I know it seems simple but sometimes you find what your looking for this way and sometimes you don't. I had a hard time finding agency names. Also try division of employment...I found jobs in Gastonia that way. There was another site that I found very helpful but I forget what it was...if I find it, I'll post it for ya. With 12 years under your belt...your as good as hired, it's just finding the right agency.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:52 AM

571 posts, read 1,405,071 times
Try this link for a state job

Job Seekers

Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 PM

45,246 posts, read 92,364,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucely View Post
Hi, i am brucely. At present i am working as a Therapist in Canada. I saw your job offer i am very interested to work over their. Please send me the further details about job history and other details.
========================================
brucely

North Dakota Drug Addiction
I think you misunderstood - no one is posting a job offer - someone just posted current job openings - YOU have to apply for them yourself

Old 08-27-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucely View Post
I am interested to this job offer . Please send me the details
North Dakota Drug Addiction
Again, NO ONE IS PRESENTING A JOB OFFER. You can click on that link for potential job openings and see how to apply for yourself

Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,391 times
The Mental Health Industry in North Carolina is in a state of disorganization, and has done, in my opion, a poor job in developing provider policy and maintaining consistency esp. when it comes to Medicaid services. In 2006, NC went through a decentralization of services to individual providers who were not prepared to assume the roles that were given them by legislature. 5 years later, and the confusion has gotten even more complicated. The back pedaling away from the "big, new" idea of 2006 began in 2007. There have been times where policies have changed from week to week, sometimes even day to day. Because many providers of Medicaid services were largely under educated and ill prepared for the business aspect of the industry, the unraveling of the decentralization continues. At this time, NC has set up a CABHA system, meaning a provider that provides basic medicaid services, plus at least 2 enhanced services per medicaid service defns.

For the individual coming to NC, I will tell you it is probably the worst time to come if you are looking to begin or continue a mental health career, unless, of course, you are blessed to be an MD. Many licensed professionals must take jobs that two years ago did not require a license at all, or still doesn't. You options, in a word, are: individual private pay, work with a CABHA where you will have to be the first responder 365/24/7 for your consumers, or to try to find a "desk job" in a government entity.

It is quite a shame that it has come to this, but that is the true state of affairs here in NC.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,360 times
lpcinnc-

Thank you so much for posting your info about the mental health system here in NC. I am a recent college graduate with dual honors Bachelor's degrees, one of which is Psychology, and I have been unemployed for three months. I moved down to NC the day after I graduated, to be with my fiance, whom I adore with all my heart.

I was so naive to think that I could find a job in that short time span, but I was thinking my educational background (dual Honors degrees, strong emphasis on research, etc) would get my foot in the door at places, so to say. My plan was to take a year and a half off between grad school and undergrad... Now I'm feeling like a moron, so thank you at least for confirming that the state of the system isn't helping me in my situation either.

I am at my wit's end... jobless, left all of my friends 500 miles away... too poor to feed my fiance and myself, but not poor enough to get any help from crisis centers or food pantries. Our families can't help us out anymore. I've never been so lonely in my life

Anyway, enough of my ranting. The point is, I don't know what to do... If you even see this at all, lol - is there any chance at all you may have some advice or tips for someone in my situation? Anything at all would be so, so appreciated...

Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunniesinwinston View Post
lpcinnc-

Thank you so much for posting your info about the mental health system here in NC. I am a recent college graduate with dual honors Bachelor's degrees, one of which is Psychology, and I have been unemployed for three months. I moved down to NC the day after I graduated, to be with my fiance, whom I adore with all my heart.

I was so naive to think that I could find a job in that short time span, but I was thinking my educational background (dual Honors degrees, strong emphasis on research, etc) would get my foot in the door at places, so to say. My plan was to take a year and a half off between grad school and undergrad... Now I'm feeling like a moron, so thank you at least for confirming that the state of the system isn't helping me in my situation either.

I am at my wit's end... jobless, left all of my friends 500 miles away... too poor to feed my fiance and myself, but not poor enough to get any help from crisis centers or food pantries. Our families can't help us out anymore. I've never been so lonely in my life

Anyway, enough of my ranting. The point is, I don't know what to do... If you even see this at all, lol - is there any chance at all you may have some advice or tips for someone in my situation? Anything at all would be so, so appreciated...
Hi honey I don't have any real advice for you about finding jobs in your field, sorry. But I am moved by your post enough to say, HANG IN THERE!

Quit beating yourself up for being so naive about the job market - you are young and still learning, you're supposed to make mistakes

I'm really sorry you are feeling so lonely and homesick too. Are you in Winston-Salem? Have you considered just applying for jobs at some of the area hospitals?

Or signing up as a substitute teacher in the public schools? In NC all you have to have to substitute is a college degree, so you qualify! Anything that pays is better than nothing. At least you and your fiance have each other, right? Just hang tough, this too shall pass!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina