Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:31 PM

8 posts, read 45,234 times

Advertisements

Any major Tornado activity in NC like Tennesse?.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 06:08 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,795,807 times
I'm not sure if I understand the question, but if you meant if there were any risk of tornadoes today...I would say no.

But if you were saying if NC has had any bad Tornadoes...then yes we definitely have. The North Raleigh Tornado if 1988 was a GIANT F4 tornado.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,912,409 times
State Climate Office of North Carolina

Old 02-11-2008, 04:39 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,688,387 times
Tornadoes seldom happen here. The last and only one I remember in the last 8.5 years I've been here was on '05 I think, it hit the Cameron area and tore up the church and some of the homes, no one really saw it but they heard it, and it was on the news.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:10 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,912,409 times
The last major one that I remember was November 2006 near Riegelwood in Columbus County. I believe the final death toll was 8.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Yes, there is definitely potential for tornadoes in NC. And there are many myths about that subject - such as - tornadoes never hit the mountains.

I have a second home near Boone, and several years ago a tornado touched down on our side of the mountain and caused over $10,000 worth of property damage just from trees that were snapped or partially uprooted. Had any of those huge trees hit our home, it would have probably crushed the roof. So tornadoes even happen in the mountains.

There may be warning sirens in some areas of the state, but in the western part of the state, there are none.

That being said, I lived in Kansas for a decade and there is little comparison b/n the likelihood of being caught in a tornado while living in the Tornado Belt and being caught in one while living in NC.

They do happen here in NC - but more an unusual phenomenon than a routine occurrence.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,252,507 times
ANI, if you dont mind me asking is a tornado warning in the midwest more precise than it is here?

Does the terrain here make them seem more scary since you cannot see them developing in the distance with the hilly terrain, and amount of trees?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,334,017 times
Major tornado outbreaks are definitely possible in NC, but not very frequent. The eastern part of NC tends to be more at risk for tornadoes than the remainder of the state, with its flatter terrain and warmer temperatures.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,434,915 times
we had 85 mile and hour minds yesterday...but i dont think that is a tornado yet

Old 02-11-2008, 03:24 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,028,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
ANI, if you dont mind me asking is a tornado warning in the midwest more precise than it is here?

Does the terrain here make them seem more scary since you cannot see them developing in the distance with the hilly terrain, and amount of trees?
Sunny, I know you didn't address this to me, but I spent the first 30 years of my life in Oklahoma so I figured it was okay for me to share my thoughts.

The great thing that you'll find in Oklahoma that we don't have here in NC are tornado sirens. The television and radio coverage is great, but what if you aren't near those? What if you're at the grocery store or school or work? That's why the sirens are great. If a tornado is spotted in your area, the sirens will go off, telling you to go for cover. They have a distinctive sound & are loud enough to be heard indoors.

The only two times I have seen tornadoes in person I was no where near a television or radio. I wasn't even watching the sky. Luckily, both times I heard the tornado sirens first, warning everyone in the area & allowing us to protect ourselves. The most recent incident took place about 3 years ago. I was working away at my desk at work when the tornado sirens went off. I turned around to look out my window & saw the whispy early stage of a tornado off in the distance. My co-workers and I took cover in time thanks to that tornado siren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina